Noisy radiator cooling fan

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidmpye

Hi all,

My Nissan Leaf (UK, 2014), has developed a really noisy cooling fan. The fan motor in question is the one that cools the radiator, not the 'blower fan' for the interior.

It would appear the bearings in the motor have gone. I've removed the fan assy and the motor from the vehicle, and it is indeed noisy.

Has anyone ever dismantled these and changed the bearings?

David

Hi!

Just as a follow up!

Now done - took the radiator fan assembly out, dismantled the fan, replaced the bearings, noise gone.

For reference, in case anyone else needs to do this:

Original bearings;

Large bearing: 608Z (NMB)
Small bearing: R-1560KK (NMB)

Replacement bearings:

Large 608Z
Small: 696ZZ (same size, also shielded, but not from NMB).

For what it's worth, both left and right sided fans (as you'd expect) have the same bearings. Might get round to writing a howto sometime...

Ordered both from amazon prime, arrived next day. Unsure of quality or how long they'll last, but we'll see.....

David

davidmpye said:
...For what it's worth, both left and right sided fans (as you'd expect) have the same bearings. Might get round to writing a howto sometime...

Equally helpful would be explaining what resources and methods you used to determine the correct bearing designations.

Nice repair! I love fixing things that are meant to be replaced.

Sure, will see what I can do :)

So, the large bearing was easy. It's got 608Z written on the side, so I simply ordered a 608Z beaing :)

The small bearing was slightly trickier: It's writing on the side said R-1560KK (NMB)

Now, I couldn't find that for sale other than in large numbers directly from China, which wasn't very helpful.

However, I *did* find an NMB part number breakdown.

So, the breakdown was as follows:

R - series minature bearing
15 - 15mm outer diameter
60 - 6mm inner diameter

(depth specified in the NMB chart as 5mm)

The KK means the bearing has metal shields each side to protect the balls (the options are open - never really seen in cars etc, sealed (rubber seals but without metal protection) or shielded (rubber seals protected by metal sides).

So, looking aroudn, the 696ZZ bearing is a generic part number (ie not just NMB) for a 15x60x5mm bearing with metal shields.

Seems to work just the same as before - noise gone :)

Particularly pleased that it is not a repair Nissan would've offered, they'd have wanted hundreds of pounds to replace the fan unit.

:-D

David

You have to upload the photos to a site like IMGUR and then link the images here. Don't try Photobucket! And thanks for being willing to share the procedure.

I recommend https://postimages.org/
make your own account, make a new folder, upload all photos of this specific job in that folder and share all links.
Those photos are there indefinitely, AFAIK. Except if YOU delete them :)

davidmpye said:
PS I have lots of photos of the repair- is it possible to attach to posts?

You can from

Dropbox
Google photos
Amazon photos

The top two are free with limited storage (although rather ample. Well more than enough for public postings purposes)

HI,

Thanks for this thread, i have same issus on mine 2013 Nissan Leaf, do you have some pictures to dissasembly the fan ?

Regards from France

Back