Thinking about getting 2016 Leaf S from US - what should I worry about?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drbrake

Seems like it doesn't have navigation or telematics (eg remote heating, flashing your lights in a parking lot etc) and if it did, maybe it wouldn't work anyway since it is from the US? Is any of that "fixable"/upgradable for a reasonable sum?

No obvious blemishes, 12 bar battery - are there any other issues I should be thinking about before buying? It'll be my first EV - probably while I wait for sufficient numbers of second hand Model 3s to go on sale (and look to see if there are any "bugs" in them!)

I am tempted to look for an older Leaf to save a few $ - I seem to recall the main technical fixes were in 2013 - is that right?

Here in Newfoundland the $%#%$ local dealer doesn't support the car so I would have to take a couple of days off work to have it serviced under warranty if anything went wrong. What are the odds?

What is the worst-case winter range on one assuming I pre-heat it while plugged into a charger before driving? What is the "normal" range (actual, not claimed)?

Also check the VIN number. Some 2016 S Leafs had a 24kWh battery and some had a 30kWh battery. I think the 24kWh cars have the shorter degradation warranty as well. IIRC, the 4th digit (hexit?) of the VIN is A for a 24kWhr car and a B for a 30kWh car.

Really, though, either way you win. A 24kwh 2016 Leaf will have the best battery Nissan has made, and a 30kwh battery Leaf will have 25% more range, and the same range with 4 bars lost as a 24kwh car when new. It's just that if you want to avoid hassle and dealing with Nissan over cell or battery replacement, a 30kwh pack isn't necessarily the best choice.

There is no such thing as saving a few $$$ on a used Leaf. The range between the best and worst cars is so small, you cannot expect to get the same quality car and "save a few bucks"///

Unless you want to get the bottom of the barrel, 8 bar loser Leaf for $3000, you should get the newest, best battery Leaf you can afford.

A 2016 sounds great. get that and forget about a 2013...

I drive a 2016 S with the 30 kWh pack that was purchased used.

Goldbrick is correct about telling the versions apart by VIN.

I always use ECO-mode, and with the 30 kWh pack, estimates in temperatures around -10 C for a full charge are about 145 km with my driving style. The estimate in warm weather is about 200 km. The range goes down a bit with snowy roads, but not as much as I expected, due to lower speeds.

I really like the S-trim. I prefer the simpler controls with more knobs rather than small buttons, the wheels and tire size, the lack of touch screen, the matte-black textured shifter surround, and the seat fabric.

I like the S trim as well, especially now that I've replaced the standard mirror with an aftermarket auto-dimming mirror (there's a thread on it, and it's pretty easy).

The one thing that does annoy me about the S is the sound system is pretty weak and no 'premium sound' is available on the S. That could probably be fixed as well but it's more work than I want to take on since my car is just a commuter and around town errand car.

goldbrick said:
Also check the VIN number. Some 2016 S Leafs had a 24kWh battery and some had a 30kWh battery. I think the 24kWh cars have the shorter degradation warranty as well. IIRC, the 4th digit (hexit?) of the VIN is A for a 24kWhr car and a B for a 30kWh car.
Yep on the capacity warranty lengths and VIN. See https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=566296#p566296 for a pointer to the TSB that confirms this.

Never to be heard from again...

I will be making it my policy to not respond to posts from new members making vague questions, or that are "thinking about" buying anything.

Nissan connect will not work. I got my 2016 leaf from US and after multiple calls to Nissan customer service both here and in US my Nissan connect does not work. Sirius radio will also kick you to US Sirius pricing because of VIN number

Actually I did get a Leaf in the end - a 2018. And the info I got was very useful! I just didn't get that particular car. So please keep posting!

Back