OEM Headunit damaged

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDJ23

Hey everyone!

I just got a super sweet deal on a 2015 Leaf, but there are a few things that need to be fixed asap, so any guidance would be appreciated.

This car came with the sat nav touch display with the open/tilt function head unit. Just like the one pictured below:

https://aws-images.carshop.co.uk/FP...5dr-Auto-electric-RED-2015-satnav-HH-L-21.jpg

I’m really concerned about the HU because the son of the previous owner managed somehow to hit the screen with a sharp object, rendering the touch function unusable and leaving a huge crack on the display. The screen opens as well, but it locks itself when opened, so you need to close it manually.

Previous owner will be covering all the expenses and already asked for a quotation of the spare parts, but I’m looking to get a faster solution, as Nissan Colombia usually takes 6 months to fix everything. Regarding this topic, I have a few questions:

1. My last car was a Mark 7 Golf GTI and it had a really aggressive component protection, requiring coding for the vehicle VIN and a security code to unlock the radio itself. Do Nissan have something similar? Or is it just a plug and play unit?

2. I’ve seen the units ranging from 600 to 850usd. Have you seen cheaper options?

3. I’ve seen people offering just the screen of the headunit. Should I get the screen? Should I get the whole unit?

There is a clunk when accelerating or letting your feet of the pedal as well (engine mount I guess?) but this may be addressed in another topic.

Thanks in advance!!
Juan

I believe the whole headunit new is well over $1K USD. If you can find the screen only (likely NOT thru Nissan), that'd be a LOT cheaper than replacing the HU.

edit: I just checked. Hope https://parts.nissanusa.com/a/Nissan_2015_Leaf-HATCHBACK-SV-ELECTRIC/_51513_8165319/AUDIO-amp-VISUAL/ZE0U_US_280A_3.html works for you. I'm see a couple different versions of "Gps Navigation System". I'm seeing prices of USD ~$3811 and ~$3906. I'm not sure if that even includes the map SD card, which is copy protected and tied to the serial # of the HU.

cwerdna said:
... I'm not sure if that even includes the map SD card, which is copy protected and tied to the serial # of the HU. ...

Yep, they've got to protect that proprietary 2013 map data. :lol:

cwerdna said:
I believe the whole headunit new is well over $1K USD. If you can find the screen only (likely NOT thru Nissan), that'd be a LOT cheaper than replacing the HU.

edit: I just checked. Hope https://parts.nissanusa.com/a/Nissan_2015_Leaf-HATCHBACK-SV-ELECTRIC/_51513_8165319/AUDIO-amp-VISUAL/ZE0U_US_280A_3.html works for you. I'm see a couple different versions of "Gps Navigation System". I'm seeing prices of USD ~$3811 and ~$3906. I'm not sure if that even includes the map SD card, which is copy protected and tied to the serial # of the HU.

Thank you guys for your kind answer!

I guess I’ll be getting the screen alone (a bit worried if it is a PITA to replace it) or an used headunit then. Buying it from Nissan is definitely a no go with that pricing.

Regarding your concerns about the SD and the navigation, I really don’t care, there is no navigation data of Colombia/South America, so the GPS is useless here with or without the card.

I’m hoping everything is plug and play. Will update when the HU arrives.

Best regards,
Juan

My 2011 HU needed to be replaced (kept rebooting taking longer and longer over time to come up), so I found a HU from 2012 on eBay for ~$500 -- had someone's CD in it still it and the original owner's EVSE location which I should have taken note of so that I could have returned the CD! Still had map SD as well. There was no problem exchanging UH and so far no problems...

MikeD said:
My 2011 HU needed to be replaced (kept rebooting taking longer and longer over time to come up), so I found a HU from 2012 on eBay for ~$500 -- had someone's CD in it still it and the original owner's EVSE location which I should have taken note of so that I could have returned the CD! Still had map SD as well. There was no problem exchanging UH and so far no problems...

Hi Mike:
When you replaced your head unit, did you get the exact same model number (25915-3NA1A, for example) or did you buy a later one on the assumption it would be backwards-compatible? Or an earlier one? Did you lose any functionality? I need to replace mine and I can only find earlier models on Ebay. Thanks!

Back