Defrost, Recirc and Covid-19

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zootjeff

I have a 2013 Leaf and I live in the northwest. My biggest beef is that I couldn't use the windshield defrost vent while doing recirc. One of the reasons I got an electric car was that it doesn't create air pollution. The northwest has a lot of moist days, and if I get behind a smoky truck, I can't turn on recirc without directing the air off the windshield, which will cause it to fog up. Recirc could totally still defrost the windshield if the AC compressor is running, but Nissan over-indexed on making sure the window defrosts the quickest (presumably in the interest of safety). If I'm stuck behind a truck, their UI decision makes me choose between my health or my safety (breathe toxic exhaust, or risk slow window de-fog).

Now imagine that someone coughs in the crosswalk and you drive through that cloud of Covid-19 mist. Nissan's UI choice to not allow recirc override, in theory, makes you choose between your LIFE or your safety..

I would be more worried about the pollution from the dirty fuel oil burner.

I haven't had the honor of taking apart a leaf dash but on other imports I have noticed that when "recirculation" is selected a little flap is opened and some out side is still drawn in.

With all the dust and cow poop I would be perfectly happy permanently disabling "fresh air".

About Covid - you need to avoid DIRECT contact with infected people.
If someone coughs in the crosswalk - don't worry, you have an air filter in your car, it is the same when you use a mask in public places ;)

Zootjeff said:
My biggest beef is that I couldn't use the windshield defrost vent while doing recirc.
I've purposely plugged the air intake on my 2013 just to see if I could defrost the windshied with heat. If there is no fresh air, it just remains foggy. Now, if you run AC only, that works. If you run AC + Heat (uses the most power) that works also. Heat only, no go. The newer Gen 2 Leaf can recirculate with floor + defrost, but have the same issue, the windshield remains foggy if you want to just use heat only. The other problem is, even if you can clear the windshield with no re-circulation, the other windows in the cars will start to fog up. The rear window, you can use the electric defrost to clear up, but then the side windows start to fog up.

The 2013 supports full *and* partial re-circulation mode. It's not perfect, but better at keeping the windshield clear with less air from the outside brought in. To activate partial re-circulation mode, press the recirculate button so it closes the outside vent. Then press *and hold in* the button until it starts to flash. Then instead of a full fresh air mode, you get a partial fresh air mode. Might be the closest thing you can get for what you want in your situation.

LeftieBiker said:
I'm pretty sure that even on Recirculate, some fresh air is drawn in. The 2018+ Leaf, BTW, allows Recirculate with the Floor + Defrost mode.

Sadly, it looks like I have to correct this. The 2018 & 2019 Leafs support Partial/Auto Recirculate in Floor + Defrost mode, but starting in 2020 the feature is gone again - it's back to the Gen I problems. I have no idea why...

LeftieBiker said:
Sadly, it looks like I have to correct this. The 2018 & 2019 Leafs support Partial/Auto Recirculate in Floor + Defrost mode, but starting in 2020 the feature is gone again - it's back to the Gen I problems. I have no idea why...

Are you sure, my 2020 still supports it, even made a video about it. Unless it is trim level related?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85wt1llB3k0

When I tried it with our 2020, it wouldn't work. OTOH, there was a brief period when my 2018 wouldn't do it either, but it 'got better'. I had forgotten about your video, I'm afraid. I'll check both the 2020 and my new 2021, and report back this weekend. I sure would be happy to still have that feature!

Back