During the last three years, I've eagerly awaited the end of my lease period so I can buy a used Bolt with enough range to enable me to drive a LOT more on a highway, AND with far less concern about battery degradation over time.
And then it hit. COVID! My wife's 2013 Lexus RX350 sits virtually un-driven as she now works from home. I don't work, and I haven't used the Leaf much during the entire lease period except for local errands. Because I can't confidently drive the Leaf from the SF Mid Peninsula (~28-30 miles south of San Francisco) to the North Bay and back...well. I don't. And now, even if I want to drive afar, I can use my wife's car. Alas, I still don't, because nowadays I have a young child to 'monitor' during the day.
And yet I like the Leaf - its dramatically outdated stylings inside and out, the super quiet ride, my love for Mother Earth, et cetera.
Total money spent on lease, including taxes, is around $10,500. But it's dead money, literally. as I made my last payment six days ago,.
The Sinker: Unfortunately, because I didn't think I was buying the SV, I didn't treat the battery well. Lots of little QC charges, lots of keeping it well above 80%, rarely letting it go below 40%. No, I've never seen more than six bars of heat on it, except for maybe once (I think). But I live in five and six bar country.
I can buy the car, with the seemingly unavoidable dealer bologna juice, for $10,700 not including taxes and documentation fees.
My question is whether I've trashed the battery too much and simply drive it too little, thus provoking an ever more rapid decline in battery health. I can either buy it out, or return it and use my wife's car until she goes back into an office MANY months from now (Jan 2021 at the earliest). I'd rather drive the Leaf than the gas guzzling land yacht. Yet it, too, needs to be driven a minimum amount each week...
I don't know my buttocks from my elbows compared to most of you peeps, but I did buy Leaf Spy Pro and a dongle today.
98 QCs and 222 L1/L2s
133 GIDs (37.3%)
I'd love to hold it for a year or two, but not if you folks think I've got too much financial downside once I sell it to a Carvana-type business. So, do I buy it or leave it?