CA to ban NEW ICE Vehicles by 2035 - maybe?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danrjones

This could also go under politics or a few other threads.

https://news.google.com/articles/CAIiEGHr04cK61xcdMch2-mOxVwqGQgEKhAIACoHCAow4Zn5CjCu8uACMLTRlgY?hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US%3Aen

Whichever is fine.

It could go under a number of topics - politics, environment, choose five... throw a dart. Might be big enough news for its own topic, or maybe not.

Not clear to me whether this is aspirational or actual law? Governor is directing CARB to "establish regulations"... But certainly he doesn't have the authority to enact such regulations into law by executive order alone?

^^^ IANAL but I imagine it largely depends on what happens with CA's lawsuit against the current administration and/or the election outcome re our ability to set our own emission regs. CARB currently has a lot of power, but that is being challenged by this admin. It will almost certainly end up in court.

Dan, I posted a link to GCC's article over in the other topic.

Well maybe if Trump somehow wins the election he will kick California out of the United States. Might be doing us a favor

Then we could set our own EPA regulations

Maybe California will have their stuff together by then. Ha, bahahaha. Hahahahahahahahsh.

Oilpan4 said:
Maybe California will have their stuff together by then. Ha, bahahaha. Hahahahahahahahsh.

Well no state can possibly change that fast, it IS government after all.

But being serious, despite some real issues such as pension issues, CA is still probably the most likely state that could actually stand apart on its own.

As to this specific issue, I'd like to say CA is leading the way. But it is not, because Europe is actually leading the way, and CA is following. So this time even CA wasn't first.

Maybe the "legal" alternative would be a death tax to ice vehicles in CA. Sure, you can buy an iCE but we are going to charge you a huge extra tax and a yearly DMV fee. That might be the legal route.

danrjones said:
Maybe the "legal" alternative would be a death tax to ice vehicles in CA. Sure, you can buy an iCE but we are going to charge you a huge extra tax and a yearly DMV fee. That might be the legal route.
ICE will live long past 2035. Not in cities, mostly. A reasonable alternative might be a $200/gallon tax on fossil gasoline... biofuels not taxed.

The activists elected last cycle are trying and failing at turning new mexico into California in 1 election cycle.
They're trying to explode the cost of electricity but PNM is a monument to government bureaucracy.
The activists were like "we made a law" the PRC was like "you have no power here".

In British Columbia, Canada there will be no more ICE vehicle sales past 2040. IMHO, if people want to drive ICE past this date they should be limited to pleasure only and no driving to work. Plus there should probably be a hearty insurance premium for doing so. :roll:

lebikerboy said:
In British Columbia, Canada there will be no more ICE vehicle sales past 2040. IMHO, if people want to drive ICE past this date they should be limited to pleasure only and no driving to work. Plus there should probably be a hearty insurance premium for doing so. :roll:

I think it will happen before then. In 2009 nine percent of new vehicle sales in B.C. were electric. It is expected to be 15 percent this year. Gas stations are already in decline. Who would buy a gas car in the last few years just from the resale point of view.

lebikerboy said:
ICE is likely to survive far longer in remote areas. Not in the lower mainland, the air is bad enough now. Getting rid of the ICE pollution will make it a nicer place to live.

WetEV said:
lebikerboy said:
ICE is likely to survive far longer in remote areas. Not in the lower mainland, the air is bad enough now. Getting rid of the ICE pollution will make it a nicer place to live.

Indeed

Everyone likes to talk about global warming but I think one of the biggest political mistakes of the last 15 years is ignoring all the other stuff that comes out of burning fuels. There are some nasty pollutions coming out of tail pipes, plus some genuine toxins.

I just don't know about electric only cars in the frozen north. A lot of people will end up running diesel fired heaters like me.

Oilpan4 said:
I just don't know about electric only cars in the frozen north. A lot of people will end up running diesel fired heaters like me.

Well, you are using nearly all the energy to "keep warm", I don't see that as a waste. Now imagine if your ran your diesel fired heater with all the windows open in the house and wasted all that heat energy, that's about what a ICE does with all the heat it produces, a small portion pushes you forward, the rest is all wasted as heat.

The manual for the diesel fired heater says it's supposed to be 85% efficient.
Still blows some heat out the exhaust.
The weeks when it's really cold I use may up to 1qt per week. Last year it dropped down to 10F at night for a week I might have used 1.25 quarts that week.

ABG:
EPA administrator disses California goal for zero-emission car sales

Andrew Wheeler questions its legality, power grid's ability to handle EV charging

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/09/28/epa-administrator-criticizes-california-zero-emissions-goal/

. . .EPA Administrator Andrew Wheeler said the plan "raises serious questions regarding its legality and practicality" and said it could cause problems for the state's electrical grid.

He also declared the move could be subject to federal approval, saying it "may require California to request a waiver to U.S. EPA."

The EPA in 2019 issued rules barring California from requiring the sale of electric vehicles; a court challenge is pending. . . .

GRA said:
. . .EPA Administrator Andrew Wheeler said the plan "raises serious questions regarding its legality and practicality" and said it could cause problems for the state's electrical grid.

He also declared the move could be subject to federal approval, saying it "may require California to request a waiver to U.S. EPA."

The EPA in 2019 issued rules barring California from requiring the sale of electric vehicles; a court challenge is pending. . . [/list]
Wont be a problem when science is (hopefully) reimposed on this department in January.

Back