What's a good average energy economy (miles/kWh)?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drbrake

I am getting a little over 5 miles/kWh at the moment in my 2017 Leaf (according to the gauge), which seems to be on the high end for any EV. What's the best you have managed? When the snow comes I will try to remember to reset so I can see how much difference that makes. Is the efficiency more or less the same with all Leaf models?

Lots of variables here, but 4.0 miles/kWh seems to be a benchmark. I have seen everything from 3-5, with the low end coming in the winter (bad roads/use of heat) and the high end coming in Spring/Fall (good roads/no AC/no wind). Obviously, speed is a big factor as well (you can do as well as 6 miles/kWh around 20 MPH)

drbrake said:
I am getting a little over 5 miles/kWh at the moment in my 2017 Leaf (according to the gauge), which seems to be on the high end for any EV. What's the best you have managed? When the snow comes I will try to remember to reset so I can see how much difference that makes. Is the efficiency more or less the same with all Leaf models?
Note that the dash gauge is a bit higher than wall to wheels. Wall to wheels, I get 3+ in the winter, and 4+ in the summer. Was true with both the 2012 and the 2014. Efficiency is slightly higher in winter in the 2014 due to heat pump.

I've done slightly better at times.

https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=287203#p287203

drbrake said:

The two efficiency-improving changes to LEAF that I'm aware of were the introduction of the heat-pump, and low-drag brake calipers.

Keep your tires at 42-44psi.
Do you have any idea of when the "low tire pressure" warning kicks in? Also, is that the same for both winter tires and summer ones? And if it is higher than the recommended pressure on my tires what's the potential disadvantage?

I was getting 3.3 to 3.6 in the winter before adding the power of a diesel fired hydronic heating to my leaf.
This winter I expect to be nice and warm in my leaf and be around 4 miles per kwh.

drbrake said:
Keep your tires at 42-44psi.
Do you have any idea of when the "low tire pressure" warning kicks in? Also, is that the same for both winter tires and summer ones? And if it is higher than the recommended pressure on my tires what's the potential disadvantage?

mid to low 20's. This is one benefit of 2018+ LEAFs with individual pressure displays on each wheel. INVALUABLE. I check it every time I drive. Its a major hassle but somehow I always scrape up the 1.6 seconds to get er done!

Now if we could just have a digital temps display so we don't have to use Leafspy. Ideally a kWh remaining as well.

If you are going without AC in summer, aim for a gentle accelerator and over 5 miles kWh. If not running heat, aim for 4+ in winter.

Back