How can I tell how many amps my Nissan Leaf 2017 is receiving at a charger?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drbrake

Would I need to install Leaf Spy or something?

What us the maximum amperage I can take fill advantage of? And is there such a thing as an l2 charger too powerful to use? Or does it just automatically step down to what I can handle?

A 2017 will max out at 6.6kw. If you plug in say a 7.2kw evse the car is only going to draw 6.6kw. Same as my 2011, if I plug mine into a 6.6kw or 7.2kw evse it's only going to draw about 3.6kw because that's the max that the 2011 and 2012 cars charged with.
I think if you have leaf spy and turn the car on while plugged in it will show power draw, but I never tried it on my car.

drbrake said:

What us the maximum amperage I can take fill advantage of? And is there such a thing as an l2 charger too powerful to use? Or does it just automatically step down to what I can handle?
EVSE or DCFC ?

Leaf Spy Lite (free for Android) or Leaf Spy Pro will indeed tell you how many amps are going into the battery via displaying a negative number. Negative number equals amps going into battery, positive equals amps coming out. Remember this is the amps going into the battery. If you are sitting in the car while charging and also running other things like heat or air con, you'll end up with less amps going into the battery.

volts (battery pack volts) * amps = watts
watts \ 1000 = kW (or kWh)

At a L2 6.6kWh charger you should see 15-16 amps going into your battery depending upon other active power loads.
At a DC 50kWh charger you should see a range between 100 - 125 amps going into your battery.

1byte said:
At a L2 6.6kWh charger you should see 15-16 amps going into your battery depending upon other active power loads.
At a DC 50kWh charger you should see a range between 100 - 125 amps going into your battery.
Charging rate is measured in kW, not kWh. 6.6 and 50 kWh chargers make no sense.

1byte said:
Leaf Spy Lite (free for Android) or Leaf Spy Pro will indeed tell you how many amps are going into the battery via displaying a negative number. Negative number equals amps going into battery, positive equals amps coming out. Remember this is the amps going into the battery. If you are sitting in the car while charging and also running other things like heat or air con, you'll end up with less amps going into the battery.

Thanks for making the effort to get units right. It helps a LOT. A few typos though:

1000* watt = kW
Chargers and EVSEs provide power, thus kW.
Over a charging session, power * time = kWh (energy)

SageBrush said:
Thanks for making the effort to get units right. It helps a LOT. A few typos though:

1000* watt = kW
Completely overlooked the kWh mistake, you all got me :roll:

Now how does 1000 multiplied by watt = kW ?

1000 X 6600 = 6600000 kW ??

1byte said:
Now how does 1000 multiplied by watt = kW ?

1000 X 6600 = 6600000 kW ??
watt = watt
1000 = k
multiple watt by 1000 on the left and multiple watt by 'k' on the right

So e.g.,
6.6 kW = 6,600 watts

SageBrush said:

1000* watt = kW

To calculate watts produced or consumed-
volts * amps = watts

To calculate kilowatts produced or consumed-
volts * amps = (watts / 1000)

Rarely does someone have the need to convert kW back to watts as the primary reason for converting it to kW in the first place is to make it more human readable. But if someone did for whatever reason what to yes the formula would be:
1000 * kW = watts

1byte said:
To calculate watts produced or consumed-
volts * amps = watts

To calculate kilowatts produced or consumed-
volts * amps = (watts / 1000)
I know what you are trying to say here but you are better off starting from the balanced equation of
volts*amps/1000 = watts/1000 = kW

But if someone did for whatever reason what to yes the formula would be:
1000 * kW = watts
Start from a balanced equation:
watt = watt
1000* watt = 1000*watt
1000 = k, So
1000*watt = kW

drbrake said:

Like ALL electrical appliances, the device will draw only what it needs. This is how a 100 watt incandescent and a 7 watt LED survive on the same plug. LEAF Spy does tell you power, current and voltage ALL the time including when charging. Realize the input is slightly higher than displayed because LEAF spy only shows the sum total of power so you have overhead taking a bit. L2 charging has cooling requirements, etc. So a 6.6 kw input, you would see 6.2 to as much as 6.5 kw

FYI; you will find most public L2's incapable of making your LEAF sweat.

SageBrush said:
1byte said:

1000* watt = kW

:lol:

Back