How do you increase the value of the Leaf?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brainy19

I have a 2015 Nissan Leaf S. I am planning to sell it but I was wondering, what items or features improves the car's value? I'm pretty handy, so I would like to look into installing such features myself, as long as it can be done on a reasonable budget.

It's definitely more challenging with an S trim. I suspect that potential buyers would be comparing your LEAF to SV and SL trims, to decide if their extra features are worth the extra cost. There aren't many comparables in terms of other EVs of that vintage, so you likely don't have to consider those...

I'm pretty sure a backup camera became a standard feature by the 2015 MY, but if not then you could add an after market backup camera. Same goes for an auto dimming rearview mirror.

Trying to retrofit the infotainment system from an SV/SL would be difficult and not worth the effort.

Some nicer wheels than the stock ones might help, but you likely wouldn't get your money back, unless you can find some used ones in decent shape for less than $500.

Honestly, other than perhaps having it professionally cleaned inside, and getting the exterior paint cut polished and waxed, I wouldn't do anything else.

However, if you have a better than average battery pack SOH, then try to educate the potential buyer on the paramount importance of the pack health and how that dictates range, so they understand that the bells and whistles on an SV or SL, when weighed against a healthier pack, aren't worth the the trade-off.

It wouldn't hurt to tell them about the merits of LeafSpy too, I would trust a seller who was transparent about the battery pack health and wanted me to be an informed buyer. Trust can go a long way, especially if the potential buyer is comparison shopping at car lots too.

You might also want to point out that the navigation is dated on SV/SL trims, that the infotainment center is likewise dated and just average, and that the BOSE stereo upgrade also isn't a whole lot better than on your S trim.

I bought the SV trim because I felt the hybrid heating (heat pump) would give me better range during the winter months. If I lived in a warmer climate, I would have purchased an S trim instead.

A 4 sensor parking system - or better yet a 4 camera parking system - along with a better aftermarket stereo, would let the car compete with the Around View parking system offered as an option with Bose stereo in the SV and SL. Just don't spend too much on them, as you're looking at no more than maybe $1k increased value at most.

Just thought of one other thing - nasty looking floor matts will definitely put off some prospective buyers. I would take them out, hose and then scrub them down with dishwashing soap, and if they still look not so great, then buy some new ones (front ones more important, if you want to save some money).

Although not vehicle changes, I wanted to express the importance of the listing (I presume you will be listing it online). The listing photos and description can make a big difference in the success of the sale and the price the buyer is willing to pay.

I suggest taking the car someplace out in the open or in a unique (nature, industrial, historic, etc.) setting and taking an array of photos in different light and from different angles. They can really help a perspective buyer fall in love with an online listing. Think artistically! The listings on bringatrailer.com are usually great examples of auto listing photography (although they can go overboard with photo quantity). Also choose your top photo strategically. I usually pick a high-quality exterior shot of a corner of the car from a high or low angle.

I also like to take some extra effort with the text of the listing and make it more of a story. Auto purchasing is quite emotional, and I think buyers appreciate hearing about experiences that helped you bond with the car, interesting places it's been, and positive adventures. It helps them connect with the car before they even see it in person. Some extra effort and creativity can really make your listing stand out from the others.

You might also highlight the advantages of the S-trim, such as the less-expensive tire size, the non-touchscreen that stays much cleaner, the simple operation of the climate and audio controls, the easy CD-slot access, and the matte-black shifter surround that doesn't show scratches and fingerprints.

Good luck!

Thanks everyone! Looks like the best I can do is get the car cleaned and whatnot is the best I can do (as well as doing great photography, haha). Any suggestions to buff out any light scratches on the outside paint?

brainy19 said:
Thanks everyone! Looks like the best I can do is get the car cleaned and whatnot is the best I can do (as well as doing great photography, haha). Any suggestions to buff out any light scratches on the outside paint?

That's why I mentioned a cut polish...

Speaking of rims, I recall somewhere seeing donut spares from an Altima working on 2011-2017 Leafs. Did anyone confirm stock rims & tires with an actual fit? I remember the most critical measurement is the somewhat large offset to clear the calipers.

Should be a decent selection at the junk yard.

Skippy said:
Speaking of rims, I recall somewhere seeing donut spares from an Altima working on 2011-2017 Leafs. Did anyone confirm stock rims & tires with an actual fit? I remember the most critical measurement is the somewhat large offset to clear the calipers.

Should be a decent selection at the junk yard.

I use and have test-fit a 2009 Nissan Maxima donut spare on a 2016 LEAF. The overall diameter is about 1" larger than the original tire size on the LEAF (I currently have oversized tires fitted) but the hub/lug fitment and brake clearance are fine. Reports indicate that the donut spare from 2006-2008 (part number 40300-L31010) (and likely other model year) Altimas also fit and have closer outside diameter.

A clean and waxed car,detailed interior,a list of all charging locations within a 20 mile radius,especially the free ones.Also offer to meet at a QC station to show the potential new owner the process.Also show the home charging if possible.Mention this great website,also the Plugshare,EVgo,Electrify America apps .

Maybe adding a HUD would give it some wow-factor. You can get ones that will project smartphone image; so maybe you could have a heads-up display of LeafSpy.

Back