J1772 Plug is really hard to remove

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimDenverCO

I charge about once a week from a 120VAC outlet in my garage. Over the year I have had my 2018 Leaf SL it has gotten harder and harder to insert or remove the plug. Any ideas?

I have a Duosida charge cord, 120 V or 240V, which has always been hard to plug and unplug. I have whittled the outside of the hard plastic down, applied silicone lubricant, tried a light oil, none of which have helped much. I think they just got the molding wrong in the first place. Hate to say it but the expensive EVSEs are a pleasure to use in comparison.....

dmacarthur said:
Hate to say it but the expensive EVSEs are a pleasure to use in comparison.....
You get what you pay for! I never realized the good quality of the (original) Panasonic EVSE that Nissan shipped with my Leaf...until I tried a "cheapie".

Wipe down the outside of the EVSE and the inside of the outlet.
Apply some silicone to the outside of the EVSE

I use a Clipper Creek EVSE, and find that if the angle of insertion is off there is a lot more resistance. When I insert the EVSE with a little attention it slides in easily.

Check inside the J1772 plug to see if the o-ring gasket is out of position.

JimDenverCO said:
I charge about once a week from a 120VAC outlet in my garage. Over the year I have had my 2018 Leaf SL it has gotten harder and harder to insert or remove the plug. Any ideas?

I will check the o-ring and also try the other suggestions and keep you all posted! I appreciate the many responses! Love the Leaf! It replaced my 2004 Chevrolet Avalanche.

Fixed! Used a flashlight to check both the plug and the socket for contaminants. Wiped them out with a Q-Tip. Immersed a fresh Q-Tip in Super Lube (a synthetic lubricant containing PTFE) and coated the working parts of the plug and socket with a thin coat, then plugged in and charged the car. The J1772 plug now goes in and out much more easily. We will see how long it lasts!

Hmm. I don't have much trouble plugging in, but pulling it out makes me wish the plug had a rubberized handle. I wonder if a little Labelle #106 PTFE model locomotive grease would help . . .

hbquikcomjamesl said:
Hmm. I don't have much trouble plugging in, but pulling it out makes me wish the plug had a rubberized handle. I wonder if a little Labelle #106 PTFE model locomotive grease would help . . .

Make sure it's dielectric and compatible with plastic and silicone. I've used the "Super Lube" too, as I already had a tub of the stuff I bought when servicing a kitchen appliance (It's food-safe as well). Apply sparingly so as to not attract dust/dirt. Wipe on, wipe off.

Rub the male plug with beeswax, Can get at Home Depot or Lowes, sometimes at the regular grocery store.

It lasts forever. Hundreds of years and is not sticky so it doesn't collect dirt.

Back