2018 SL with 45K miles for 20K

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loveleafs

Hey guys, I'm looking for my first Leaf and I think I might have found a decent deal, but the mileage seems high for the price. What do you all think? Car is being sold by Carvana, 45K miles, $20K, full battery bars. My range needs are super modest so I'm also looking at a 2015 with full bars and 50k miles for $15K.

https://www.carvana.com/vehicle/1934136

Loveleafs said:
Hey guys, I'm looking for my first Leaf and I think I might have found a decent deal, but the mileage seems high for the price. What do you all think? Car is being sold by Carvana, 45K miles, $20K, full battery bars. My range needs are super modest so I'm also looking at a 2015 with full bars and 50k miles for $15K.

My recommendation. If you qualify to get the full $7,500 federal tax credit go for a new 2022 SV.

Nissan dropped the MSRP on the 2022 Leafs. A 2022 SL MSRP is right around $30,000. Then add delivery fee, deduct $3,000 rebate, estimated $2,000 dealer discount and $7,500 tax credit you are at about $20,000 plus TTT. So you get a 4 year model year newer car with a fresh battery and a new car warranty. Plus finance rates are lower on a new car vs used car.

Flyct said:
Loveleafs said:

My recommendation. If you qualify to get the full $7,500 federal tax credit go for a new 2022 SV.

Nissan dropped the MSRP on the 2022 Leafs. A 2022 SL MSRP is right around $30,000. Then add delivery fee, deduct $3,000 rebate, estimated $2,000 dealer discount and $7,500 tax credit you are at about $20,000 plus TTT. So you get a 4 year model year newer car with a fresh battery and a new car warranty. Plus finance rates are lower on a new car vs used car.
I can agree, and would add that getting new in this case will likely cost so similar this used one is not a good deal. Even if don't have enough income tax liability to fully leverage the $7500 tax credit. If that is the case, should shop leasing options so the leasing company leverages the tax credit write-off, and maybe buy out the lease at a later date.

Flyct said:

Since the dealerships are adding markups to used and 2021 models, I expect the same for the 2022.
The best advice is to wait a few months.

That said, I agree: the 2022 msrp price drops do look like they will reduce prices overall for new LEAFs. It will take time for the used car market to respond

Bad time to be in the used car market so yeah, prices are inflated. You really need to provide more info on your needs. A lot of ways to go including 30 kwh LEAFs that might have a few bars missing. When capacity bars drop, the value goes along with it.

SageBrush said:
There is not much difference between the 2022 SL and SV other than the list price
Nissan stopped making the 40 kWh SL after 2019. The only way to get SL is to get the bigger battery. The SL has leather and a Bose subwoofer.

I also would recommend to buy or lease a new 21 or 22 SV (with Tech package) over a used 18 SL.

Triggerhappy007 said:
I also would recommend to buy or lease a new 21 or 22 SV (with Tech package) over a used 18 SL.
I find the tech package to be a big Meh since the only thing of interest to me is the surround camera (I'm presuming that is the bird's eye view.)
If the package isn't cheap, I'm going to pass

uc

Prices vary quite a bit locally but to me, $15K for a 2015 is pretty high, no matter how many bars or features it has. When I bought my 2017 it was the first new car I ever bought in my life. I bought a new one since new was cheaper than used at that point. So I'm in the 'buy a new 2022' camp as well assuming you qualify for the $7500 tax credit.

My needs are *very modest*. I drive about 2 miles round trip regularly to drop my hubby off at work when it rains too much to walk, work from home and sometimes go visit friends, farthest of which lives 11 miles away. I have fantasies of taking the car on trips to Disney World (100 miles away) but no plans to do so/I haven't been in years. I have set up an appointment with the local Nissan dealer to see about a 2022 SV on Monday. I appreciate all of y'all responding so quickly and with so much info! I was pre-approved by Capital One for up to 26K of financing so hopefully that will cover it. It seems like the prices of used Leafs on Carvana tends to be inflated compared to what folks are able to find elsewhere but I have been leary of dealing with a dealership as I haven't done that before. I don't know that I will qualify for the tax credit as we don't make enough money to have $7500 of taxes which may negate this entire plan.

Loveleafs said:
I don't know that I will qualify for the tax credit as we don't make enough money to have $7500 of taxes which may negate this entire plan.
You can still get it through a lease. You just have to be sure the lease is OK.

Are you clear on the difference between tax owed and tax liability ?
We are talking about Line 22 on Form 1040 -- AMENDED: IRS line pointer corrected

Loveleafs said:
My needs are *very modest*. I drive about 2 miles round trip regularly to drop my hubby off at work when it rains too much to walk, work from home and sometimes go visit friends, farthest of which lives 11 miles away. I have fantasies of taking the car on trips to Disney World (100 miles away) but no plans to do so/I haven't been in years. I have set up an appointment with the local Nissan dealer to see about a 2022 SV on Monday. I appreciate all of y'all responding so quickly and with so much info! I was pre-approved by Capital One for up to 26K of financing so hopefully that will cover it. It seems like the prices of used Leafs on Carvana tends to be inflated compared to what folks are able to find elsewhere but I have been leary of dealing with a dealership as I haven't done that before. I don't know that I will qualify for the tax credit as we don't make enough money to have $7500 of taxes which may negate this entire plan.

You are simply a victim of bad timing. The used car market is inflated to record levels for ALL cars. Some areas saw an "average" 40% increase in prices.

Why this happened? Well, it was a lot of bad luck.

First off, COVID killed the rental car business in 2020 which meant many had to sell their fleet to survive and that bloated the market. Last year, a 2015 wasn't even getting $10,000. So travel picks up, rental agencies are caught short so mad scramble to revive their fleet including newer used cars (a very rare event for rentals) so that tightened the supply causing the rise in prices but that alone wouldn't have made as much of an impact

BUT then the chip shortage was announced which did nothing but cause a panic meaning many bought new cars earlier than normal to ensure they were able to get what they needed. Now, despite all the news about the shortage, it actually has had minimal effect so far but market forces work by predicting need verses supply so anything out there literally has 4 hands all trying to reel it in so that is why you are seeing used LEAFs at 50% over their previous value.

If you can wait, do so. How long is the real question. But one thing is certain; the used car market will devalue. New cars hit the dealers, the rental agencies will dump their used cars like a hot potato at cut rate prices (which you won't see all of...) meaning much better deals when the market floods.

Just pulled up my 2020 taxes - 1040 line 24 I have 1826. Looks like leasing or buying used is the better option now. I was really hoping to be able to get something ASAP as my current car is uncomfortable to drive but as I drive so infrequently it seems like waiting it out is the best option. Current car has recurring issues with mold, the AC doesn't work in Florida and occasionally gets *roaches* despite never having food left inside of it. I am eager to no longer be a Volvo owner, lol.

Loveleafs said:

OK. So you are in Florida with limited expected mileage. Here’s another suggestion. Take advantage of the 2022 model S, 2 yr, 10,000 mile/yr lease deal. https://www.nissanusa.com/vehicles/electric-cars/leaf/deals-incentives-offers.html

About $1,450 initial payment and $149/mo for 2 years. A lot less than a $26,000 loan for 5 yrs that would be about $500/mo.

Lease deals are better on 2022 compared to 2021 because if residual value at end of lease.

Loveleafs said:
Just pulled up my 2020 taxes - 1040 line 24 I have 1826. Looks like leasing or buying used is the better option now. I was really hoping to be able to get something ASAP as my current car is uncomfortable to drive but as I drive so infrequently it seems like waiting it out is the best option. Current car has recurring issues with mold, the AC doesn't work in Florida and occasionally gets *roaches* despite never having food left inside of it. I am eager to no longer be a Volvo owner, lol.

Yep. definitely lease. I also don't make the full credit (5 time lessee) and found leasing to be a good option. Also Gen 2 batteries (2018 and newer) are proving to be much better quality for longevity. Unfortunately, Nissan still hasn't added custom charge settings so using the timer to limit the SOC will have to do for now.

Because of Nissan dropping the climate package from the S trim, I will be purchasing my lease when the time comes (unless something dramatic happens) still overall estimated cost will be $26,000 for an S Plus. Not too bad considering I turned in my 2018 16 months early. I am sure that probably didn't help the balance sheet (I was 3,000 miles over my allotment)

Here are the details of the special lease deal on a 2022 Leaf S w/10k miles per year with 10k miles per year.

Excludes taxes, title, and license. $1,449 initial payment required at consummation. (Includes $1,300 consumer down payment, $149 first month payment.) (INCLUDES $1,750 manufacturer's rebate applied to $149/Month lease. Offer valid only when financed through Nissan Motor Acceptance Company.) Subject to residency restrictions. 2022 LEAF S Lease model 17012 subject to availability to well-qualified lessees through Nissan Motor Acceptance Company. $28,350 MSRP incl. destination charge. Net capitalized cost of $24,813 includes a $650 non-refundable acquisition fee. Dealer contribution may affect actual price set by dealer. Monthly payments total $3,576 At lease end, purchase for $21,263, plus purchase option fee up to $300 (except KS & WI), plus tax, or pay excess wear & use plus $0.25 per mile for mileage over 10,000 miles per year. Lessee is responsible for maintenance and repairs. A disposition fee is due at termination of lease term. No security deposit required. Must take delivery from new dealer stock. See participating dealer for details. Offer ends 09/07/2021.

It has a horrible purchase option at the end of the lease (residual) so this is one I would turn back to them.

You would have an honest range of 120 miles highway or 150 miles city in Florida with the 40 kWh lithium-ion battery. You would not need the climate package in Florida, so you are not going to miss not having Heated front seats and Heated steering wheel. You will need good AC which is awesome on the Leaf.

Flyct said:
Here are the details of the special lease deal on a 2022 Leaf S w/10k miles per year with 10k miles per year.

Excludes taxes, title, and license. $1,449 initial payment required at consummation. (Includes $1,300 consumer down payment, $149 first month payment.) (INCLUDES $1,750 manufacturer's rebate applied to $149/Month lease. Offer valid only when financed through Nissan Motor Acceptance Company.) Subject to residency restrictions. 2022 LEAF S Lease model 17012 subject to availability to well-qualified lessees through Nissan Motor Acceptance Company. $28,350 MSRP incl. destination charge. Net capitalized cost of $24,813 includes a $650 non-refundable acquisition fee. Dealer contribution may affect actual price set by dealer. Monthly payments total $3,576 At lease end, purchase for $21,263, plus purchase option fee up to $300 (except KS & WI), plus tax, or pay excess wear & use plus $0.25 per mile for mileage over 10,000 miles per year. Lessee is responsible for maintenance and repairs. A disposition fee is due at termination of lease term. No security deposit required. Must take delivery from new dealer stock. See participating dealer for details. Offer ends 09/07/2021.

It has a horrible purchase option at the end of the lease (residual) so this is one I would turn back to them.

You would have an honest range of 120 highway - 150 mile city in Florida with the 40 kWh lithium-ion battery. You would not need the climate package in Florida, so you are not going to miss not having Heated front seats and Heated steering wheel. You will need good AC which is awesome on the Leaf.

Ah, a bait and switch. NMAC is not crediting any of the federal tax credit on this. I would not do this. Its a bad deal.

DaveinOlyWA said:
Flyct said:

You would have an honest range of 120 highway - 150 mile city in Florida with the 40 kWh lithium-ion battery. You would not need the climate package in Florida, so you are not going to miss not having Heated front seats and Heated steering wheel. You will need good AC which is awesome on the Leaf.

Ah, a bait and switch. NMAC is not crediting any of the federal tax credit on this. I would not do this. Its a bad deal.

Hard to find another better lease deal. Can you point to one? Remember that Florida doesn't have any additional credits like the $2,500 credit for new EVs you have in WA.

I realized that the Fed Tax Credit is not credited and the Residual is outrageous at 75% (21,263/25,350) that is why I said to turn it back in at the end of the lease. It would only cost a buyer a total of about $5000 out of pocket for 24 months.

Back