shopping for a 2017 leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leafamiga

Thanks a lot for the very first post with a lot of good information.

Are used to have a 2015 lease which I sold in 2018 for nine grand, and now they’re going for 12 to 13,000, lol.

I’m shopping for a 2017 leaf right now, for my wife, and I found one at a good price but it only has nine bars. My understanding is that the gradual battery degradation warranty issue comes in the play if it gets down to eight bars, but I didn’t see any specific information on how that works.

Two questions:

— Can anyone give me an anecdotal estimate of the range based on nine bars versus 12 on a 2017 leaf S ?

— If I buy the car and it drops to 8 bars am I guaranteed to get a replacement refurbished battery, Assuming that the BMS software update has been done. Or can someone explain better or provide a link.

My apologies if this is posted somewhere else I did a little searching.

Thanks.

Please read this: https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=26662&p=538030

There was a battery management system (BMS) software update issued by Nissan. It must have been done before Nissan will replace the battery under the capacity warranty. The update will reset the capacity bars to 12, after which the car will "re-learn" the battery's actual capacity over the course of a few weeks, or sometimes, months. Once the car drops to 8 bars after the update, then Nissan will replace the battery with a new 40kwh battery.

As for the range of a 9 bar 30kwh Leaf compared to a 12 bar one, let's see if I can remember this correctly: with 3 bars lost (and with 9 FULL bars left, not slightly more than 8, which also shows as 9), the range should be the same as a new 24kwh Leaf, or roughly 75 miles. A new 30kwh Leaf was rated at 109 miles.

Realize that the capacity warranty on a 30 kWh pack is good for 8 years or 100k miles - whichever occurs first. So, be careful picking one with high mileage on it as, by the time it drops to 8 bars, you might be out of luck.

LeftieBiker said:
Please read this: https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=26662&p=538030

There was a battery management system (BMS) software update issued by Nissan. It must have been done before Nissan will replace the battery under the capacity warranty. The update will reset the capacity bars to 12, after which the car will "re-learn" the battery's actual capacity over the course of a few weeks, or sometimes, months. Once the car drops to 8 bars after the update, then Nissan will replace the battery with a new 40kwh battery.

As for the range of a 9 bar 30kwh Leaf compared to a 12 bar one, let's see if I can remember this correctly: with 3 bars lost (and with 9 FULL bars left, not slightly more than 8, which also shows as 9), the range should be the same as a new 24kwh Leaf, or roughly 75 miles. A new 30kwh Leaf was rated at 109 miles.

Thanks

alozzy said:
Realize that the capacity warranty on a 30 kWh pack is good for 8 years or 100k miles - whichever occurs first. So, be careful picking one with high mileage on it as, by the time it drops to 8 bars, you might be out of luck.

Thanks !

Back