Ideas for historical battery data elements?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldManCan

Hi,

New Leaf owner here and I have been reading all the very valuable insights shared on this forum by many. Thank you for all the contributions.

I would like to set up a spreadsheet to collect historical battery related information as I see many of you are doing (great charts btw!). I have some ideas on what I want to track SOH being the most crucial I suppose but I don't want to find myself wishing I collected this or that as well 6 months down the road and have gaps in my data set.

I am thinking of capturing the following beginning of each month for the month that has just finished :

• SOH
  • Total miles driven
  • Number of QC
  • Number of L2 Charges
  • Total charge received
  • Total regen
  • Monthly efficiency average (ie 3.8 miles / kWh)

Can you kindly share ideas on what you all collect and how often?

Thanks much for your inputs and season's greetings to one and all.

Most folks collect/post their data from LeafSpy. Some of your list can be pulled directly from Nissan EVConnect; I used to pull monthly totals back in the day (when it was called CarWings...and before I replaced it with OVMS).

Right. I will be using LeafSpyPro for the SOH and EVConnect for the rest. Any thoughts on what I else I might benefit from tracking? Idea is to be able to monitor battery degradation vs use / time. Thank you

I collect from LeafSpy at the end of each day. Goes into a spreadsheet, just typed in from the LeafSpy screenshot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blX1SKY5bLM

But my phone bricked last night, right after taking the screenshot. Will need to install LeafSpy on a newer phone now.

Annoying because I read a 5mv maximum cell-to-cell delta for the first time last night, breaking the old record of 6mv.

My LeafSpy phone came back to life!

MkPW31y.png

bobkart said:
I collect from LeafSpy at the end of each day. Goes into a spreadsheet, just typed in from the LeafSpy screenshot.

Your dedication is commendable. I was thinking of capturing data maybe couple times a month, definitely at each month end to see the month to month delta.

Also commendable is the 5mV!!! My new SL+ is hovering around 14mV to 16mV most of the time. I will have to read up on past posts on battery conditioning and how I might be able to improve my pack.

Would you mind sharing your spreadsheet columns you capture into? Thanks much in advance.

dd1otIn.png

Note that I cherry-pick the lowest mV reading I get within the minute or so that I sample that data. So it's understandable that those numbers are lower than what someone might see with just a random sampling. There's also apples/oranges between our two Leaf models.

I reset all the trip-meter counters at the start of each month, so I have them accumulated for the month at the end. Those get recorded in the car's 'log' (one text file per calendar year). Then total miles and miles-per-kilowatt-hour also get recorded in a separate file, arranged in columns per month and a few rows per year (this could be a spreadsheet, but I didn't take it that far). From the two measured values I can determine watts consumed, which I can then total for the year and (along with miles) determine a mile-per-kWh value for the entire year.

Awesome! Thank you very much for sharing your data collection process. I will model similarly!

OldManCan said:
Awesome! Thank you very much for sharing your data collection process. I will model similarly!
Happy to help!

I totaled up 2021 and it has the best efficiency yet: 4.7 miles per kilowatt-hour. Previous years were 4.3 and 4.2.

aqJpJGv.png

(A lot of that efficiency is likely due to running the tires at 50psi.)

Back