Level 2 Charging Speed on a Smart EVSE

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Triggerhappy007

I'm using an Emporia EVSE and it's only showing about 6.4 kW when I plug in my Leaf. When I plug in my Pacifica Hybrid, it shows 6.9 kW. Both cars are supposed to have a 6.6 kW charger. What are you guys seeing with your Smart EVSE?

Triggerhappy007 said:
I'm using an Emporia EVSE and it's only showing about 6.4 kW when I plug in my Leaf. When I plug in my Pacifica Hybrid, it shows 6.9 kW. Both cars are supposed to have a 6.6 kW charger. What are you guys seeing with your Smart EVSE?
Usually, 6.2kw or even lower, when I'm at free 32a Chargepoint chargers I'm lucky to see 6kw, if you are seeing 6.4kw I'd call yourself lucky :) the time difference between 6.6 and 6.4 is very minuscule.

Triggerhappy007 said:

To add a data point, I also have the Emporia EVSE and I see 6.43kW until the drop off at the tail end.

BillAinCT said:
To add a data point, I also have the Emporia EVSE and I see 6.43kW until the drop off at the tail end.
Thanks. I can't wait to see how fast I can charge my ordered Mach-E at. I think it's rated at 11.5 kW compared to the Ariya's 7.4 kW.

Input power to my AeroVironment 32-ampere EVSE is a little over 6.7 kW when charging my 2019 LEAF SL Plus. It was the same for my 2015 SL. These numbers are from the revenue accuracy meter on the supply circuit for the EVSE. Input power is the same when using my Clipper Creek 40-ampere EVSE.

Triggerhappy007 said:

The power usage can change with the voltage since the amps are kind of set at a static number. So, as an example, my house voltage technically measure out to 244V at the EVSE, so if my Leaf is going to use a static amp setting of 27.5, then I would see about (27.5 x 244=) 6,710 watts of power usage from the wall (not all into the battery since some of that power is used to run the electronics, cooling pump, etc), but over at a family members home, the 240 feed for their EVSE is only showing 236V, so at 27.5 amps, would only register about (27.5x236=) 6,490 watts. So just a few volts difference can change those readings depending on how much voltage sag you are getting at your EVSE (either due to the utility company, long cable run, cable size too small, etc).

So in your example, the Leaf is only pulling 27.5 amps (static) but your Pacifica is probably pulling just a little more (maybe 28 or 29 amps) to make up for the power difference. Basically, the Leaf advertises that it uses 6.6 kW before loses, but your Pacifica might be pulling extra current to account for that so that 6.6 kW goes into the battery after energy loses and it advertises 6.6 kW going into the battery (with extra power to account for the electronics and system loses).

The onboard charger in the LEAF (at least my 2011, 2015, and 2019) will draw more current at lower voltage so the power level remains almost constant. The 2019 will draw over 30 amperes at nominal 208 volts and 27.4 amperes at around 242 volts. The 2015 would draw slightly less current across the voltage range than the 2019 and the 2011 would draw a little over one-half the current of the later cars.

Back