Junaid123
Delivery Date: 12 Jan 2022

Can the battery in a Nissan power your house?

Hi everyone.

I’ve been reading on the internet where people use there Nissan leaf’s battery pack to power their homes during peak times. Or as a backup if there is a power cut.

Is this available in the UK and if so how do you go about doing this?
watchdoc
Delivery Date: 03 Jan 2022

Re: Can the battery in a Nissan power your house?

The short answer is NO. The long answer is that NIssan and several other companies have used the Leaf in Pilot programs and projects to showcase V2H technology. To date, none of these products has been available outside of Japan that I'm aware of. Google the following products. Wallbox Quasar, Dcbel R16, ACES bidrectional charger, and finally here a a link to an article that is UK specific. I"m in the USA and certainly not up to date on UK projects so keep researching.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/indu ... uk-project
22 Leaf SV+ Deep Blue Pearl
LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Setec...?
Brilliant Silver 2021 Leaf SV40 W/ Pro Pilot & Protection
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 2 lithium E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.
alozzy
Delivery Date: 18 Jan 2017

Junaid123 wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:08 pm Hi everyone.

I’ve been reading on the internet where people use there Nissan leaf’s battery pack to power their homes during peak times. Or as a backup if there is a power cut.

Is this available in the UK and if so how do you go about doing this?
CHADEMO (DC) V2H is expensive and immature. However, you can easily create a more modest system to provide emergency power during an outage. You won't be able to power your entire house, but that's a luxury rather than a necessity during power outages.

You can easily run a 1500w (sustained) inverter off of a LEAF and you can also add a LiFePO4 inline battery bank too if you want some storage capacity when the Leaf is not connected.

An inverter similar to this one would work:

https://amzn.to/3qmBoVB

Lots of threads on these forums on how to wire up an inverter...

I haven't had to use it yet, but I have an inverter and fridge in my garage that are ready for use should there be a power outage. I also have a 100' long, 12 GA extension cable so we can run a few lights too.
Vancouver, CA owner of a 2013 Ocean Blue SV + QC, purchased 01/2017 in WA
Zencar 12/20/24/30A L1/L2 portable EVSE
1-1/4" Curt #11396 hitch
After market, DIY LED DRLs
LeafSpy Pro + Konnwei KW902 ELM327 BT OBDII dongle
Loving my first BEV :D
dcbel

Happy to share some insight here. Simple answer is yes! The capability you're referring to is called Vehicle-to-Home (V2H). V2H allows your EV to act as a backup power source for your home in the case of a power outage.

In order to be capable of V2H you have to have a home energy system in place that allows you to utilize the bi-directional charging feature of your Nissan Leaf. An example of this would be the dcbel Home Energy Station: https://www.dcbel.energy/r16/. This Home Energy Station acts as a battery charger/inverter allowing your Leaf to power your home for days during an outage.

Hope this helps!
watchdoc

dcbel wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:04 am Happy to share some insight here. Simple answer is yes! The capability you're referring to is called Vehicle-to-Home (V2H). V2H allows your EV to act as a backup power source for your home in the case of a power outage.

In order to be capable of V2H you have to have a home energy system in place that allows you to utilize the bi-directional charging feature of your Nissan Leaf. An example of this would be the dcbel Home Energy Station: https://www.dcbel.energy/r16/. This Home Energy Station acts as a battery charger/inverter allowing your Leaf to power your home for days during an outage.

Hope this helps!

Ive been trying to get price and availability information for weeks but all I get is advertising emails. Why don't you provide some more details about your product since you said the "simple answer is yes!" How much is it? When will it be available nationwide? Everytime I type in a zipcode, it says the R16 isn't available in my area so I tried another dozen zipcodes from the southeast and they all give the same message. Is this product for real or just another pilot vaporware product only available in a few southern califoria zipcodes.
Nubo
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014

Some difficulties in the US are strict "anti-islanding" provisions in the electrical codes. These are intended to protect line workers during an outage but are sometimes more difficult than they need to be. It's the same thing that makes it difficult for people with solar/battery systems to power their home from battery when the grid is down.

One possible solution is "selfish solar" http://evtv.me/2017/07/selfishly-solar/
I noticed you're still working with polymers.
watchdoc

Nubo wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:55 am Some difficulties in the US are strict "anti-islanding" provisions in the electrical codes. These are intended to protect line workers during an outage but are sometimes more difficult than they need to be. It's the same thing that makes it difficult for people with solar/battery systems to power their home from battery when the grid is down.

One possible solution is "selfish solar" http://evtv.me/2017/07/selfishly-solar/
I've always been a fan of the Selfish Solar initiative but in my case, the utility company wants $15k just to run lines about 200 yards and install a transformer and pole. Well, I'd rather just go off grid to begin with and have a propane generator backup rather than grid backup. A good V2H product like the Dcbel R16 running in "off grid mode" would be great! If they ever actually make it available.
knightmb
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 26 Feb 2021
Leaf Number: 306291

watchdoc wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:47 am I've always been a fan of the Selfish Solar initiative but in my case, the utility company wants $15k just to run lines about 200 yards and install a transformer and pole. Well, I'd rather just go off grid to begin with and have a propane generator backup rather than grid backup. A good V2H product like the Dcbel R16 running in "off grid mode" would be great! If they ever actually make it available.
Basically my wind and solar power is a separate power source and I use an automated double pole switch to choose between using the utility service or my own. The powered on default is my own power (solar/wind) and if they shutdown (dead, error, maintenance), it automatically switches back to the utility grid service. For the very same reason, I didn't want to tie in and sell power back to the utility because in my state, the charge back rates are worthless. After 12 years of service, the battery/inverter/solar/wind combo already paid for itself long ago in power savings and today it's just free power when there is enough sun or wind. Keeps the power bills very low and I always have basically backup power in the event of grid failure (just don't run as much stuff, bare minimum during an outage).
I could easily see a future where more and more homes run their own power and just don't bother with the grid. 🔌
2020 Leaf SL Plus - (Manufacture Date March 2020)
2018 Leaf SL - (Manufacture Date February 2018)
2013 Leaf SV - (8 faithful years of service before trade in at 75,679 miles LeafSpy-Data)
Timekoin - The World's Most Energy Efficient Encrypted Digital Currency
watchdoc

knightmb wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:32 pm
watchdoc wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:47 am I've always been a fan of the Selfish Solar initiative but in my case, the utility company wants $15k just to run lines about 200 yards and install a transformer and pole. Well, I'd rather just go off grid to begin with and have a propane generator backup rather than grid backup. A good V2H product like the Dcbel R16 running in "off grid mode" would be great! If they ever actually make it available.
Basically my wind and solar power is a separate power source and I use an automated double pole switch to choose between using the utility service or my own. The powered on default is my own power (solar/wind) and if they shutdown (dead, error, maintenance), it automatically switches back to the utility grid service. For the very same reason, I didn't want to tie in and sell power back to the utility because in my state, the charge back rates are worthless. After 12 years of service, the battery/inverter/solar/wind combo already paid for itself long ago in power savings and today it's just free power when there is enough sun or wind. Keeps the power bills very low and I always have basically backup power in the event of grid failure (just don't run as much stuff, bare minimum during an outage).
I could easily see a future where more and more homes run their own power and just don't bother with the grid. 🔌
Blue Ridge Energy in western NC penalizes grid tied systems with higher monthly connect fees and low purchase rates. So far they have balked at any sort of grid tied system that isn’t net metered by saying they won’t allow it to pass inspection which is why I’m just considering going off grid. If it was just me, I would do it in a heart beat but the wife wants all the luxuries of a grid tied home. I haven’t found a balance yet.

Return to “Batteries & Charging”