Upgraded EVSE shows no lights. Repair or replace?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DBmechanic

I have an EVSE that came with my 2013 Leaf. In 2018 I had it upgraded at EVSEupgrade.com and used it on a long road trip (Seattle to Santa Cruz on level 2!) Since then I've used it about once a month when I happen to be somewhere I can plug into a regular outlet. Last month I was at a friend's house out in the boonies and needed a little extra charge to safely make it home. I plugged into an outlet in his garage and saw no lights on the EVSE and it wouldn't charge. I thought it was just his outlet that was bad, but since then I've plugged into other outlets (which worked with other devices) and still see no lights on my EVSE. I would send it to EVSEupgrade but I see they are out of business, so I'm wondering what makes the most sense -- repair or replace? Keeping in mind the following:
1. I probably use it about once a month. It's mainly an emergency usage thing, or helpful on a road trip.
2. I may be replacing the car in the next year or so. Perhaps having a working charger increases the trade-in value?
3. If I replace the unit, it looks like the 2 adapters I purchased won't work since all the new EVSE's that I see online don't work with NEMA 16-30r.

Are the new EVSEs that much better? Looks like some of them are around $200 and may be better than what I had. I'd appreciate your advice!

Thanks,
Dan

Back