Head unit crash / reboot - Lost settings / presets

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldManCan

I have a 2 month old SL+ and had 2 occasions where the head unit crashed and simply returned after 10-15 seconds reboot. I didn't mind this at all thinking hey its much better than my work PC...

Today I was hooked to CarPlay and having a phone call going on and the head unit went into a crash/reboot loop. It would reboot and crash shortly after reconnecting to my phone and trying to move the ongoing call over to the car audio. Removing the phone cable stopped the crash / reboot cycle. After this I realized my head unit is completely reset to factory defaults. Lost the NAV settings such as home location as well as all SiriusXM favorite channels etc.

Has anyone seen this type of issue before? Is it worth trying to report this to Nissan?
Do they do anything about bugs on the head unit?

Thanks for all your inputs.

Did you get a endless loop? Today it would have just kept going I suppose. I had around 8-9 crash / reboot cycles and it stopped when I pulled out the phone usb cable. I will try to duplicate the circumstances to see if I can get it to do the same thing again.

jlv said:
OldManCan said:
Is it worth trying to report this to Nissan?

In a brand new, two month old car, yes this is very much worth reporting to Nissan.

Sure thing. I do this kind of thing for a living anyways. Will try to duplicate the issue and document the steps and report.

Do report that to Nissan. It is common for me to get a single reboot no loop, no loss of settings. I am a heavy user of android auto.

While I have never heard of a specific phone being a cause I am curious if you can try another phone and get it to do the same thing (family or friend phone) if nothing else that can more clearly show the issue has nothing at all to do with your phone.

Seems similar in some ways. I was connected on BT for the phone call and then plugged in for CarPlay which is how the first crash was triggered and then removing CarPlay ended the loop. Tried duplicating the scenario just now and it didn't happen this time. Will observe for some more time and see if it happens again.

Head unit in my 2019 has been replaced once; second replacement is on back order--that should tell you something about their quality control. Mine has issues with volume and tuning control knobs and reboots itself once in a while. The Sirius station presets usually come back after a bit (they may be somehow saved in Sirius servers, but other presets and menu selections sometimes get reset to factory defaults. I don't have my phone(s) paired to the head unit because my primary phone is paired directly to my hearing aid and work phone is forwarded to primary phone.

Edited to add: The head unit (navigation system) is the one thing I don't like with my 2019. The units in both previous cars worked well and touch screen/buttons were intuitive and responded appropriately to touch. The navigation system in my 2019 does not respond consistently to touch, menu screens and functions are not intuitive, and rotary knobs do not work correctly.

Threads like this make me glad that I still have my "old" Leaf. Of course, parts/supply chain problems don't help.
Hope they get you fixed up sooner than later.

Thanks. Honestly I'm not too bothered with this as the rest of the car more than makes up for the occasional inconvenience. I'm also guessing bug fix / update cycle for LEAF will slow down even more as they must be channeling all energy on the upcoming Ariya. I suspect we will all have to live with these issues for some time.

The new head unit was installed on Wednesday. It took a long time to start up Thursday morning and settings went back to default values, but it has been working correctly since then. Perhaps it needed a reboot/reset to establish connections with Nissan servers. Control knobs have more positive clicks (detents) and now work as intended. The touch screen seems to respond much better than original.

Back