Will EV battery swapping be the future for us?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ortiznnhiasdn

Batteryless cars would be a great option. You buy the car, and pay for a fully charged battery when needed.

Here what I think: automakers make fully charged batteries available to their clients wherever they go. Same car brand, same battery technology. No issue. No need of charging stations.

Swap your Tesla battery at a Tesla swapping station.
Swap your Chevy battery at a Chevy swapping station...

Finally the government could ask all automakers to standardize the battery design for easy swapping between brands.

There's a lot to say on this story. But I think this is a great way to make EVs more convenient.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...g-for-evs-is-big-in-china-here-s-how-it-works

They've tried(maybe are still trying it??) in Europe I believe, for quite some time, don't think it's that popular though :(

Ortiznnhiasdn said:
Finally the government could ask all automakers to standardize the battery design for easy swapping between brands.

Battery design is competitive edge for the automakers so they will not want to standardize for quite some time.

No, swapping a battery pack to get a full charge would take much longer and be more complicated than just plugging in and charging.

Does the OP drive an EV? Almost all EVs are charged at home.

Non-EV drivers are always coming up with ideas such as this, and one i hear often--how about a tow truck with a big power supply to charge a stranded EV on the road?

Stanton said:
No: it's been tried and failed (and that's fine with me).

Just imagine the logistics nightmare too. Someone does a battery swap, runs it down to 2% and leaves it like that for a week before bringing it in to swap with another. The issue has always been that if you treat the battery well, someone else may not and who wants to have the abused battery in their EV?

Not that it wouldn't have a place though, would be useful in EV racing for example where you swap out the depleted battery with a freshly charged one ready to race off again... :)

In addition to all the valid reasons above, my other concern would be the added mechanics required to latch & hold a removable pack securely in place. This would add substantial added weight and complexity to the vehicle while taking some space from the internal volume.

knightmb said:
Stanton said:
No: it's been tried and failed (and that's fine with me).

Just imagine the logistics nightmare too. Someone does a battery swap, runs it down to 2% and leaves it like that for a week before bringing it in to swap with another. The issue has always been that if you treat the battery well, someone else may not and who wants to have the abused battery in their EV?

Not that it wouldn't have a place though, would be useful in EV racing for example where you swap out the depleted battery with a freshly charged one ready to race off again... :)

It wouldn't be hard to have the BMS limit the low end and high end SOC to allow for that.

I think it was an Israeli company that tried this. I can ALMOST remember their name...

Their name was Better Place and they operated in Israel and Denmark. They had a deal with Renault which supplied them with an EV called Fluence Z.E. If I am not mistaken, this car actually used the same cells as Leaf. They went bankrupt in the end.

One of the Chinese EV-makers have started a similar concept here in Norway - we'll see how it goes...

Ortiznnhiasdn said:
Here what I think: automakers make fully charged batteries available to their clients wherever they go. Same car brand, same battery technology. No issue. No need of charging stations.
This replaces uncrewed charging stations with battery swap stations, with a few expensive battery packs ready to go. The batter swap stations then also have charging stations to charge swapped-out packs.

I can't see how this is a win.

jlv said:
OP: do you actually have experience with driving an EV on a day-to-day basis?

I see 1 post only by OP till date and no further interaction on their own thread despite a number of valuable responses from forum community. I imagine this might be yet another passerby / spammer in the making or something like that. This thread is dead to me! :D

PS. No offense OP if you are legit and turnaround to comeback into your own thread and contribute. All the best

This replaces uncrewed charging stations with battery swap stations, with a few expensive battery packs ready to go. The batter swap stations then also have charging stations to charge swapped-out packs.

I can't see how this is a win.

Totally agree. It would be easier to just swap entire cars like the disposable electric scooters that seem to be popping up everywhere...

When the reality became apparent;

Tesla's battery-swapping plan has a mere shadow of the promise it once showed

https://www.businessinsider.com/teslas-battery-swapping-plan-isnt-working-out-2015-6

Ibelieve that the biggest reason why the battery swap idea never took off was simply that batteries are known to degrade over time. Even though a trip to and from LA would have you essentially borrow another car’s battery for 2nd half of the trip, and then you would get your battery swapped back (recharged) on the return trip home. Unfortunately, the idea gets more complicated if you don’t get your own battery back. If you perhaps got the battery of someone who drove their older Tesla hard all the time (and/or put a lot of miles on it) then potentially your car would instantly depreciate the moment that you swapped your newer battery for someone else's older, degraded battery.

https://www.torquenews.com/5474/how-can-tesla-battery-swap-work-now-after-million-mile-batteries

https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=8040 was a thread on Better Place that went belly up ages ago.

AFAIK, Tesla's battery swapping location closed (https://insideevs.com/news/329836/tesla-battery-swap-location-shut-down-for-now/) and nothing like it has re-opened in the US.

I agree that since the OP hasn't returned to reply, it's probably not worth spending much time nor energy to keep this thread going, for now.

Years ago, at CES, I'd seen https://www.gogoro.com/ for the first time at Panasonic's booth (since the cells inside the packs were Panasonic). We were able to lift the packs and I think put them in a scooter to try (see https://www.gogoro.com/gogoro-network/). The systems had been deployed in Taiwan for awhile.

DougWantsALeaf said:
Battery swapping I think will never make sense beyond cab/rideshare use cases. As battery density and charge rates improve, ever that use case loses merit.

I think that we'll see a class for it in EV racing. They'll be swapping packs in 30 seconds, rather than wait 5 minutes for 1600 volt recharging.

Back