Charge Timer End Time

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JO2022

Hi, I just bought a 2022 Leave SV Plus. The Charge Timer forces a start time, so I am not sure how to make it finish charging just before the end time, which I think is preferred in sub 32 weather?

Should I set start time 15 minutes before end time so the car automatically overrides the start time? I am sure this has been asked before, but a search of the posts did not yield anything that I could find.

Also, I have the climate timer set to have the car at 68 degrees when I get into it to go to work. I have the charger timer end time set to the same time. Will this cause the car to lose range because the climate control is kicking while the car charging? I suppose there would be no other way to do it...

Thanks,

If you set the full charge priority = On then it will work backwards from the end time you set and will readjust the start time based on how much charge is needed to reach 100%. Hope this helps.

Can't positively confirm on your 2nd question but I think its ok. I believe it uses the wall power to keep the car heated while its on L2 charge.

OldManCan said:
If you set the full charge priority = On then it will work backwards from the end time you set and will readjust the start time based on how much charge is needed to reach 100%. Hope this helps.

Can't positively confirm on your 2nd question but I think its ok. I believe it uses the wall power to keep the car heated while its on L2 charge.

Thank you! I have found all you suggested to be true...

JO2022 said:
Hi, I just bought a 2022 Leave SV Plus. The Charge Timer forces a start time, so I am not sure how to make it finish charging just before the end time, which I think is preferred in sub 32 weather?

Should I set start time 15 minutes before end time so the car automatically overrides the start time? I am sure this has been asked before, but a search of the posts did not yield anything that I could find.

Also, I have the climate timer set to have the car at 68 degrees when I get into it to go to work. I have the charger timer end time set to the same time. Will this cause the car to lose range because the climate control is kicking while the car charging? I suppose there would be no other way to do it...

Thanks,

You don't say how far you are driving so I will assume it nowhere near the maximum range so everything I say will be aimed towards maximizing the life of your battery pack.

** If leaving home with the pack not fully charged is something you are uncomfortable with, you can stop reading now.
** If you live in an area with high utility costs but have TOU available to reduce that cost, stop reading now.

First off, decide how much you need to charge to. When doing this, you want to consider

Your roundtrip distance
Likely detours which would be something you do regularly at least a few times a month
Rare detours. Things that have happened that are almost never expected.
Any "acceptable" public charging options that would ONLY be used under exceptional circumstances.

Now you have your daily need plus a buffer.

Find out how fast your home charger can charge your car. This will take some trial and error but should be no more than a few days or so.

Now, turn off the "full charge priority" and set your start time so that your car is still charging when you are leaving in the morning.

This will keep your battery in the middle SOC range more which will increase longevity.

On the climate timer; People do see a small loss of range because the power draw of the climate control is quite high initially. If your LEAF is at or near 100% SOC, the charge rate will have slowed down well below the climate power draw and in many cases, will be in "balance" mode which means the cells are getting short bumps of charge that are generally in the 1-2 KW range. I would think on the Plus, the range hit would be insignificant and a non issue if you decide to follow the procedure above.

Now, I live in a relatively mild climate as long as GCC isn't raging so keep that mind. I see the reason why people want this and I found that even 10 minutes of this was more than sufficient for me but I also park in a garage where the car is rarely colder than the mid 50's so...

Back