'upgrading' radio headunit

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim74656

Somewhere on earth with in Connecticut air space
Ok, I know that my SV comes with Sat nav and Apple car play (i think??? have yet to confirm this) but I want to install an Android system similar to what I used for my jeep but before I go tearing into my new to me 2017 SV Leaf I would like to know if aside from wiring harnesses and associated adapters is it just a plug and play affair or is the HU so integrated into the Leaf that it is just going to be impossible for me to do anything with it? The wireless function that uses the cell towers has stopped working due to the 3g network being 'turned off' so that is sadly not of use for me telematics wise.

No. Leafs before model year '18 didn't come with CarPlay nor Android Auto. The stereo is old and it's not mentioned at https://usa.nissannews.com/en-US/releases/release-f6fcf40f78a54118a8a01526272638f0-us-2017-nissan-leaf-press-kit. It is mentioned for '18 at https://usa.nissannews.com/en-US/releases/release-77b5f147884a4439bd10c4d9207f2237-us-2018-nissan-leaf-press-kit.

I don't recommend that you replace the head unit in '11 to '17 Leaf SV and SL because you'll lose numerous other functions (e.g. charging timers + a bunch of screens and options) that are only on the head units of those cars.

If you've never used CarPlay, here's what they looked like on my former '19 Bolt and a rental '19 Altima w/an older version of iOS: https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/apple-carplay.158720/page-4#post-4094003.

so it sounds like either way im not missing out on much then, I just like having the ability to update maps when I want (which I want to try and figure out if i have the latest revision of map software anyways) so, where should I go so I can make sure I have the latest SD card information? been attempting to search some.

For nav updates, see https://www.nissanusa.com/navigation-system-product-updates.html. I never bothered on my former '13. I sold it with the original map SD card middle of last year.

As I said, if you remove a gen 1 Leaf SV or SL head unit, you will lose a bunch of features (https://owners.nissanusa.com/content/techpub/ManualsAndGuides/LEAF/2017/2017-LEAF-navigation-manual.pdf). The best candidate for a HU replacement is a '13 to '17 S trim. (I can't speak to gen 2.)

I'm not even sure if the eyebrow clock will work any more. On '13 to '17 SV and SL, the eyebrow clock is synced to what's on the nav system which presumably gets its time signals from GPS. There's no way to manually set the eyebrow clock on '13 to '17 SV and SL AFAIK.

Jim74656 said:
I have the version in the '17 SV with fold down screen, so I'm assuming that's the 'top of the line' gen1 unit then?
Yes, probably. On '13 to '17 SV and SL, you could get the Bose stereo which thus had different speakers + a subwoofer in the trunk (all part of the premium package). I'm not clear if the head unit was the same between those trims with vs. without Bose. I've only had with Bose on both my former '13s (both had premium).

If you have Around View Monitor (part of premium), there's an extra button on the bezel for camera. Oops... answered my own question now. That's a difference. Premium added Bose and AVM. Not clear if there was any other internal difference.

'13 to '17 S trim had knobs for the stereo and no fold down screen. On those, you had to use the buttons on the left and tiny dash LCD for the charging timers. Those timers had way less flexibility than the charging timers on nav-equipped gen 1 Leafs.

I see, makes sense I suppose, at least it has the functions I want, I don't have the Bose stuff, really didn't need it and isn't worth it to me as I plan to rip out the stock speakers when they go and replace with some better ones like Alpines or similar. Thanks for the update information and web link, that helped, now to figure out what the latest version is, is there a way to tell what the latest version number is, so I can compare it to what my nav unit has so I can be better informed as to the decision I want to make?

Jim74656 said:
Thanks for the update information and web link, that helped, now to figure out what the latest version is, is there a way to tell what the latest version number is, so I can compare it to what my nav unit has so I can be better informed as to the decision I want to make?
Whatever version you have, they ended Nav updates for Gen1 Leafs in 2018. FWIW, I did update (to the last available) last year...and I am happy with the results.

Stanton said:
Jim74656 said:
Thanks for the update information and web link, that helped, now to figure out what the latest version is, is there a way to tell what the latest version number is, so I can compare it to what my nav unit has so I can be better informed as to the decision I want to make?
Whatever version you have, they ended Nav updates for Gen1 Leafs in 2018. FWIW, I did update (to the last available) last year...and I am happy with the results.

Is there a way to look on the head unit to see what map version is on it, and then cross reference with what Nissan says is the 'latest' update for the maps they released?

Jim74656 said:
Stanton said:
Jim74656 said:

Is there a way to look on the head unit to see what map version is on it, and then cross reference with what Nissan says is the 'latest' update for the maps they released?
You might check the order link for instructions, but I can pretty much guarantee if you have a 2017 (Gen1) Leaf, then you don't have the "latest". Just make sure you have the original SD card and whatever license key they send you.

Stanton said:
Jim74656 said:
Stanton said:

You might check the order link for instructions, but I can pretty much guarantee if you have a 2017 (Gen1) Leaf, then you don't have the "latest". Just make sure you have the original SD card and whatever license key they send you.

I am sure of the same, I do have the original SD card that came with my leaf. You would not happen to know of the location for the 3G communications module would you? Is that integrated into the HU?

TCU is behind the glovebox. https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=561922#p561922 has a pointer to the 2G to 3G upgrade procedure for older Leafs.

cwerdna said:
TCU is behind the glovebox. https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=561922#p561922 has a pointer to the 2G to 3G upgrade procedure for older Leafs.

I did read through that a bit, I was hoping I could find a 4g unit and replace my 3g unit or find a way to get a 'translator' unit (3g to 4g bridge type thing) to get it to function so I can try and continue using the functions of the vehicle

Jim74656 said:
I did read through that a bit, I was hoping I could find a 4g unit and replace my 3g unit or find a way to get a 'translator' unit (3g to 4g bridge type thing) to get it to function so I can try and continue using the functions of the vehicle
That's a whole different question from the one you originally asked.
The only way to do that (in a Gen1 Leaf) is to replace the TCU with OVMS; you can search the forum (and/or my name) for the OVMS thread I started.

Stanton said:
Jim74656 said:
That's a whole different question from the one you originally asked.
The only way to do that (in a Gen1 Leaf) is to replace the TCU with OVMS; you can search the forum (and/or my name) for the OVMS thread I started.

Originally I was under the impression the 3g module was integrated into the head unit, but upon poking around the Leaf I found it was not hence the original question.

Either way I will read through your OVMS thread and see if I can gleen any thing from that, thanks for the help.

Back