Setec Vehicle-to-Load 6 kW Discharge Inverter

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

V2X

Hey gang,

I'm parting with my Setec CHAdeMO 6 kW discharge inverter.
We have had a good discussion about this product here:
https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=32620

For those interested, the eBay listing:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/154896111007

Sure, here are a few little quirks:

1. Setec provides no user manual for these V2L products. But I've found customer support to be quite responsive, and will provide contact information to whoever buys this.

2. Setec's 6 kW version normally ships with a couple of Schuko sockets for the 220V Europe market. For the US market it should have shipped with a three-prong NEMA 6-50R for single-phase 220V. Instead, it has a NEMA 14-50R four-prong socket. My workaround was to use a 4-Prong 220-Volt Plug to 120-Volt adapter cord to run into the Lite-Fuze step down transformer. This adapter cord is included, and can be seen in the video & photos on my eBay listing.

3. I've never tested to see what overload protection the unit provides. It is marked "CE" so I should imagine it has this, but the most I have loaded it up is 4.2 kW as per the video on eBay. Recommend 4 kW be the maxium surge load, with steady-state at 3 kW or so.

4. As per the other thread on this forum, I've observed a fair but of efficiency loss in this setup, suspecting that much of it comes from the Lite-Fuze step down process.

It's putting out 220 V. There is a potentiometer to adjust this (photo & description on the other discussion thread), and I did raise it up close to 240 V. What I found is if you do this the output power can get kind of wonky as this is the ragged edge of the unit's output. I also tried to bring it down to 120 V, but again the output became unstable. It really is designed for 220.

I'd guess it would be fine. Lots of detailed information here: https://forums.mikeholt.com/threads/voltage-ratings-110-115-120-220-230-240-or-440-460-480.2563412/

LeftieBiker said:
I'm looking for something to plug into a 240 volt generator port. Does anyone know how happy 240volt appliances are with 220?

As you probably know, it's likely that the single phase 220/240 VAC power can only be used if there are no 120 VAC control systems in the appliance as many are set up to take L1 or L2 to neutral rather than to ground.

Having a NEMA 14-50R in this single phase unit seems to actually be a safety hazard for use in the US. Likely, Setec has combined the neutral and ground in the receptacle wiring. If anyone were to try using this directly with a US household wiring system (e.g. using the Setec as a backup generator to replace a traditional split phase US generator), it would be quite dangerous as 120 VAC users could be exposed to 240 VAC. Not positive about this, but could be the case.

Marktm said:
LeftieBiker said:
I'm looking for something to plug into a 240 volt generator port. Does anyone know how happy 240volt appliances are with 220?

As you probably know, it's likely that the single phase 220/240 VAC power can only be used if there are no 120 VAC control systems in the appliance as many are set up to take L1 or L2 to neutral rather than to ground.

I didn't know, but it was going to be my next question. ;) It looks like the device isn't well suited for my application - connecting to a main panel via an interlock, and powering both 120 and 240 volt appliances - so I'm going to have to pass. Hopefully someone here is looking for something to run a more dedicated, specialized circuit or device when the power fails.

Leftie - you could try using the Setec with a center tapped transformer - a good match is actually the APC/Schneider SURT 003. I've thought of doing that, but right now I have my propane genset hooked up until the dcbel system gets resolved as I want solar inputs also. Note that the transformer input is a single phase 220/240 VAC L6-30P and one of the outputs is a NEMA 14-30R with separate neutrals/grounds that match standard US split phase systems (along with a bunch of 120 VAC 3-prong outlets).

This is the downside of split phase US power - will need a 100 pound, but efficient transformer and ramp up the voltage to the max stable value of the Setec. I agree, the unit might be the only, but maybe not the best solution right now.

Unfortunately, the price of the Setec alone would only be within my reach if the winning bid was near the opening bid. The cost of the transformer unit would break my bank - too many other things I need to spend money on right now. Good luck with the auction.

Thanks Mark & Leftie for the comments and suggestions. I decided to cancel the auction, replace the receptacle with a NEMA 6-50R, and then see about selling the Setec together with the Leaf locally. I think the ultimate buyer of this will just want V2L for emergencies or remote power supply at 120V, using the included step-down transformer. In hindsight I probalby should have gotten the 120V version @ 3kW from Setec.

I recently purchased and imported a Setec 6KW V2H for use on my Mitsubishi i-MiEV. It is designed for the 2014+ (and maybe 2013?) Nissan Leaf, but I was led to believe that my Mitsubishi i-MiEV CHAdeMO was bi-directional.

Long story short, it does not work with my 2012 i-MiEV for more than one full second.

I have successfully tested this Setec V2H on a 2019 Leaf, even nicely feeding a Growatt 5kW Split Phase Transformer ATS 5000T-ES providing two 120vac outputs. I have not done any extensive power testing, my tests so far limited to under 1kW - according to Setec, the max power output depends on the year of the Leaf (they recommend a 2014).

Due to external constraints, I am presently unable to pursue this project any further and have decided to sell this brand-new Setec V2H and its associated CHAdeMO cable assembly. I am posting this here first before going out on the open market, hoping to sell it to someone (especially in the greater San Francisco Bay Area) on this forum.

If you're interested, please PM me or call (no text) at six five zero - nine four one - four one one four. If no answer, please wait for six rings and leave a voicemail.

Thank you for your time.

Joe

JoeS said:
my tests so far limited to under 1kW - according to Setec, the max power output depends on the year of the Leaf (they recommend a 2014).
I was looking at Setec minutes ago and stumble on this thread. Do you know where that 1kW limit comes from? Is that 1kW limit per phase?

Just to confirm, the setup you tested was car's chamedo port -> chamedo cable to Setect V2H -> to Appliances?

Sorry, I hadn't visited this thread for some time and my bad for not announcing that I had sold the Setec V2H (at a significant loss).

Belanger, the setup you described is correct. The output from the Setec V2H is a single-ended 240vac configuration, both legs floating, with a separate ground wire. I had gone a step further and fed this 240vac into a Growatt 5kW split phase transformer to generate the two 120vac legs.

Anyway, this Setec V2H worked great with the Leafs I tested, but unfortunately with my 2012 Mitsubishi i-MiEV there is a communications issue and it would not work with this car. I was unable to test it with a 2014 or 2016 i-MiEV as I understand those may well have worked.

Back