What’s your energy economy?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeafPD

I searched the forum but it just rejects the word ‘ energy’ and provides nothing useful. If there is an existing thread, please direct me to it. Anyway, that’s my question. Our 2015 S bought with 40k miles shows 3.6 mi/kWh and I just reset it. We live in hilly San Francisco so I don’t expect to be a world beater. What are you all getting?

So far in March my 2019 S+ is averaging 5.2 miles/kWh (90% local driving). My wife's 2019 SV+ is getting 3.5 miles/kWh. She runs heat, and generally don't unless it's near 0F. Both have around 300 miles for this month.

Since you have a Gen1 Leaf: I average 4.0-4.5 m/kWh in my Gen1 Leaf. Some things not in my sig:
  • I keep my tires ~40 psi
  • I stay under 60 mph (generally speaking)
  • I changed my reduction gear oil to Valvoline ULV
Whatever you "reset" (probably the thing in the center console) may not be representative of your driving habits (and for all you know it could have been the result of several thousand miles of driving).

I get 4.0 on mixed 80/20 highway/urban drive and I drive at 65-80 on the freeway with AC and heat on 50% of the time in the Bay Area (north bay) so there are decent hills here and there

Been doing more lower speed urban driving and it was almost 90 yesterday and I did 4.2. Not sure how accurate because the speedometer is reporting ~3% faster according to my phone GPS that is

Got new ish Geodrive (???) v rated all season tires up front and 3 yr old Ecopias in the back.

In the milder seasons I get 4.5-4.8 & in the summer (100+) closer to 4.0-4.4 & the winters(25-50F) 3.7-4.2. I have aftermarket lighter weight tires & a Gen2 40kwh car with a heat pump.

I'm about 40% hwy at 65mph avg & the rest is careful in town driving.

I use my heat&a/c as needed and in the winter keep it set to around 67F & in the summer around 80F. I also make extensive use of the steering wheel & seat heaters but their power load is negligible.

Here is actual data from last year to show our average monthly temp, and actual EV economy from Nissan's EV web portal. Our winter driving is 95% urban, short haul trips. This is a good idea of how very cold weather will affect your range. The vehicle is a 2018 SL (with heat pump).

January 2022 Average Temp -18 C (low temp that month -35 C)
Average Energy Economy 3.1 km/kWh

November 2021 Average Temp 0 C
Average Energy Economy 4.8 km/kWh

June 2021 Average Temp 17.2 C
Average Energy Economy 7.3 km/kWh

The efficiency display on the dash was optimistic on my 2011 and 2015 LEAF's. It is closer, but still optimistic on my 2019. My real world wall-to-wheels efficiency has been about 3 miles/kWh with a mix of highway and surface street driving using mostly Level 2 (208 or 240 volts) charging at 6.6 kW rate. Charging efficiency is significantly lower on Level 1 (120 volts) charging and slightly lower on 3.3 kW Level 2 charging.

My expectations are confirmed. Some of you are doing much better than we are. It has stabilized at 4.2 in our hilly environment with a bit of highway mixed in. Thanks all.

LeafPD said:
My expectations are confirmed. Some of you are doing much better than we are. It has stabilized at 4.2 in our hilly environment with a bit of highway mixed in. Thanks all.

That seems pretty decent but one more thing to consider is to keep the pack at a low enough SOC% to allow you gain max regen if you are starting your trips at a higher elevation because in my experience I achieve higher numbers when driving on hills that just flat ground IF it is a round trip scenario meaning I go back down the same way.

Back