SL plus Model worth it over SV plus?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

perspectIveOwner

In your opinion is the 2022 SL plus model better than the SV plus? If so, why? I'm looking to buy a leaf this year but want to make sure the extra features are worth it for an SL before purchasing one.

You should look at the specs table at https://usa.nissannews.com/en-US/releases/2022-nissan-leaf-press-kit to see for yourself if the features are worth the extra $.

LEAF SL PLUS adds ProPILOT Assist, heated seats, heated leather-wrapped steering wheel and leather appointed seats, LED headlights and LED signature daytime running lights, 8-way power driver's seat with 2-way lumbar support, cargo cover, Bose® Premium Audio with seven speakers, Intelligent Around View® Monitor and Intelligent Driver Alertness.

For me it was the ProPilot and leather seats. We have a furry family member who sheds so much to at fabric seats are just not an option.

Good call! That subwoofer is a wart on the back of our beautiful LEAF. Total afterthought. One of few things I don’t like about the car.

Have you seen my easy approach to hiding the subwoofer, without moving it?

I drove an SL40 for 3 years, despite hating leather, because it was, for a while, the only way to get Around View.

I just got a 2022 SV+ and the only difference from the SL+ is:
Leather seats
Bose system
Turn signal light on side mirrors.

My SV+ has heated seats, heated steering wheel, ProPilot, etc. I don't know where the other brochure comes from that is posted ealier, but here is the one in the USA; check the last pages:

https://www.nissanusa.com/content/d.../2022/2022-nissan-nissan-leaf-brochure-en.pdf

I didn't care about Bose, nor the lights on the mirror, so I saved $2500 for cloth seats and I know I can get leather seat for around $1000 if I do it myself.

perspectIveOwner said:
In your opinion is the 2022 SL plus model better than the SV plus? If so, why? I'm looking to buy a leaf this year but want to make sure the extra features are worth it for an SL before purchasing one.

It's only better if you want those extra features. When I bought mine (before car prices went insane), the dealership was trying to unload their 2020 stock because Leaf sales were down that year and they were selling the SL models at the same price as the SV, so I figured why not go SL anyway. Me personally, I've never worried about leather seats or ProPilot, as my previous Leaf was the SV model that had everything the SL had back in 2013 minus the Leather seats and spoiler solar panel, so I wasn't worried about the seat material either way.

Having said all of that, I have really enjoyed the extra features of the SL. The leather seat option is actually comfortable for me, I was surprised by that and the ProPilot has actually been quite useful. I thought of at first as kind of a gimmicky just to make it more expensive, but I've actually used it a lot because if you use it in the narrow scope of what it is designed to do, it works very well. I don't expect automated driving, I'm too old to want that anyway. I wanted something that could drive and follow cars without crashing into the back so I could relax while driving or do something that would take away my attention for a moment (like getting a good gulp of drink) and not have to worry about the Leaf veering off the road or running into the back of someone ahead of me because I wasn't paying attention for a split second.

Reading the link provided earlier in this topic, if you want the ProPILOT Assist and e-Pedal, Leather seats, sound system upgrade, etc. then going the SL route might be cheaper than going the SV route with all the upgrades (I guess, not sure as that's more of a dealership call than anything else on price) I think the SL also comes with the parking Sonar, which was actually quite useful for me as I live in a city where parallel parking is a common thing. The SL also comes with the rear privacy cover for the back and netting I think, I know you can buy all of those separately for any model of course, but I guess it boils down to if you want all the extras it might be a better deal to get the SL that will have basically everything than to try and start the SV or S level and do upgrades to reach the same thing. Again, not 100% certain on that, seems the dealerships like to haggle with that kind of stuff. If you can get a fully upgraded SV+ that basically has everything the SL has minus the leather seats and you don't care about leather seats, I would say save the money if the SV is cheaper than the SL.

Finally, I think you have to start at the SV trim level to get the heat pump. If you live anywhere were you expect weeks of sub-freezing temperature instead just a few days a year (like where I live) when it might get really cold just for a few days, maybe a week at max, you might be able to get away with the cheaper S trim and you'll get a little more mileage if range is important also.

OldManCan said:
LEAF SL PLUS adds ProPILOT Assist, heated seats, heated leather-wrapped steering wheel and leather appointed seats, LED headlights and LED signature daytime running lights, 8-way power driver's seat with 2-way lumbar support, cargo cover, Bose® Premium Audio with seven speakers, Intelligent Around View® Monitor and Intelligent Driver Alertness.

For me it was the ProPilot and leather seats. We have a furry family member who sheds so much to at fabric seats are just not an option.
That's old info. The ones I put in bold are the only differences. The 22 SV Plus has all the other ones standard now.

Triggerhappy007 said:
OldManCan said:

That's old info. The ones I put in bold are the only differences. The 22 SV Plus has all the other ones standard now.

That's great news! Thanks for your correction.

Thanks for the reply's everyone I decided to get the SL Plus with the config and spec I wanted. Talked the dealer down to 45k including sales tax. After credits and 3rd party sell of existing vehicle net out is 33k. They say it will arrive in July but I'm a little skeptical as two dealerships contacted me saying that it would take 6-8 months and the one I ordered from is saying 3-4. Also I was curious to know if a fan is used during the battery charging process to cool down the battery if needed. I only need this for city traveling no road trips and can charge at home. Last question, do I have to get a separate L2 EVSE if the portable one comes with the car?

There is no battery cooling fan. You can use the included EVSE if you have a 40-50 amp circuit with outlet for it. A 30 amp dryer outlet is NOT acceptable, because the car will pull ~28 amps and the EVSE will allow it to do so.

Don't forget the blue trim around the bottom of the SL. I'm still not sure why Nissan decided to put blue trim around the bottom of the car. Oh and I went with the SL plus hoping that it was going to retain some of the features that I had with my Titan Platinum, sadly no.

Back