$1000 rebate for used EVs, Ontario, Canada

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

denwood

Just a heads up that you can take advantage of a small rebate in Ontario, Canada if you are buying a used EV. Canada's EV rebate does not apply to used cars, and Ontario's previous rebate is discontinued, but again was for new cars. I searched the forum but found no reference to this program.

https://www.plugndrive.ca/used-electric-vehicles-incentive/

They want you to sit through a short webinar on basic EV stuff, then you can email a copy of:

- Bill of Sale
- Proof of Insurance
- Vehicle Registration
- Seminar Certificate (This gets emailed to you after you attend the seminar)[/list]

.... and they will send you cheque for $1000. I did this 9 months after the purchase, and still got a cheque :)

This is funded from a private trust, implemented by a gentleman who apparently made some money in solar here. It's the first time I've seen this type of privately funded incentive (M.H. Brigham Foundation) and was quite impressed that it even existed.

Does it at least cover the VAT, or whatever Canadians are calling sales tax these days? That's the nice thing about NY's $2k rebate for new EVs. Now if only we'd get a used EV rebate...

Depends on what you pay...but we get hit with 13% HST tax on any vehicle purchase. $1000 doesn't go to far these days, however the point is that this rebate is privately funded and I am very appreciative for the work the foundation is doing to raise awareness.

The current provincial government nix'd all EV incentives when they were elected in 2018. Previously I believe you could claim up to $18K on a new EV which was a major incentive. Right now, there is a $5K federal incentive for a new EV, and provinces have various programs. In BC, you could claim another $3K for a total of $8K, and in Quebec, another $8K for a total of $13K. Used EVs are not eligible for this.

As you might expect, adoption of EVs in Quebec is quite good with 130 000 EVs on the road as of Feb 2022. Most power there is generated hydro-electric, so power rates are very low, about $.07/kWh average.

Back