"Official" Nissan 24 to 40 kwh upgrades are here?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveinOlyWA

Posted last night, someone is apparently on the last part of a purchase For $11,744.05 to replace their 2013 24 kwh pack with a 40 kwh pack. Does this mean there is none or simply Nissan wanting to gain brownie points. As always, there seems to be customer education level but she appears to be quite certain that is what she is getting at just over $11,000 which would become THE option to enhance usability of Gen One's.

My guess? Its a one off if true. But also could be a perk to the dealerships as they are still getting labor costs paid?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/LEAFs/posts/4980147542074577/?__cft__[0]=AZUAdnb9zaQ7bFrxLCg-C46p6OBmZ3RKlP4a-JmLr3r-XALKP_v8cfOjr3-vloJcFfdEXCXJWZlJL4hTxam9LCYfxg83NHLFvAaW-wuMu6PbxpgFOmBsvyT3mWGVkouud9tjzB_W8jdPzWFFBmTTZUHA&__tn__=%2CO%2CP-R

EDITED for Clarity. For some reason many have chosen to believe this is warranty exchange which it is NOT.

Maybe the 'chip shortage' has created a situation where Nissan has more battery packs than cars to put them in. If so, it would be a boon to owners of 24kWh Leafs that wanted to extend the life of their car.

The warranty language does not read to me as updated for a 24 -> 40 kWh replacement

SageBrush said:
The warranty language is ambiguous, and does not read to me as updated for a 24 -> 40 kWh replacement

Really? There is nothing stating capacity but the degradation warranty is quite clear and is not the same for 24's and 40's so are you thinking she is only getting a "classic 30?"

^^

I read it again and amended my earlier post. I don't read the language as covering the case of a 24 -> 40 kWh replacement.
As for what that person is actually getting -- no idea.

Let's hope for follow-up, and some photos

I don't think any 24kWh Leafs are still under warranty. I assumed that this was a case of someone going to Nissan to buy a replacement battery and they offered to put a 40kWh pack into a 24kWh car.

I don't see any logic in Nissan offering a 40 kWh replacement pack, why would they do that? The only way I see that happening is if the federal government mandates it.

For optics, Nissan might offer a 40 kWh pack for $30k, just to say that they are providing LEAF owners with an upgrade option. Offering a 40 kWh replacement pack for $11k would cost them a fortune, not to mention eat into their new car sales.

They might do it if they had a contract with their battery supplier to buy X amount of batteries in 2022 and can't build enough cars to use them all.

Batteries are expensive and have a shelf-life. If the batteries are coming in faster than Nissan can use them it could make sense to just sell them rather than hold them in inventory.

goldbrick said:
I don't think any 24kWh Leafs are still under warranty. I assumed that this was a case of someone going to Nissan to buy a replacement battery and they offered to put a 40kWh pack into a 24kWh car.

Why assume when you can simply read the post?

Specifically it was $11,744.05

In this day and age of skimming, assumptions and predetermined knowledge based on titles; creating a clear post is a challenge. I will edit

Not a bad idea, as the post isn't exactly claiming any precision:

someone is apparently on the last part of a purchase to replace their 2013 24 kwh pack with a 40 kwh pack. Does this mean there is none or simply Nissan wanting to gain brownie points. As always, there seems to be customer education level but she appears to be quite certain that is what she is getting at just over $11,000 which would become THE option to enhance usability of Gen One's.

Emphasis added by me. If you want careful reading of your posts, you may want to proofread them, and try to make them clear.

goldbrick said:
Maybe the 'chip shortage' has created a situation where Nissan has more battery packs than cars to put them in. If so, it would be a boon to owners of 24kWh Leafs that wanted to extend the life of their car.

I think Nissan would literally rather eat them than sell them to older gen LEAF owners.

LeftieBiker said:
Not a bad idea, as the post isn't exactly claiming any precision:

someone is apparently on the last part of a purchase to replace their 2013 24 kwh pack with a 40 kwh pack. Does this mean there is none or simply Nissan wanting to gain brownie points. As always, there seems to be customer education level but she appears to be quite certain that is what she is getting at just over $11,000 which would become THE option to enhance usability of Gen One's.

Emphasis added by me. If you want careful reading of your posts, you may want to proofread them, and try to make them clear.

Sorry but best I can do when there is no actual pack at this time. This would be another in a long line of misled customers claiming something that we know won't happen. AFAIK, there has never been a 24 kwh upgrade of any kind. It has always been 24 to 24 including one I know who just paid $8300 for a 24 kwh pack a few months ago.

There is also the issue that she provided several photos of paperwork she received where there is no indication of the capacity she is receiving other than a rather dramatic hint of the 8 year/100,000 degradation warranty being in effect (and NOT transferrable.)

So yeah, seems like this is the real deal but I don't accept it until it happens.

I told my wife that a rumor of a 24 - 40 kWh swap by Nissan is being talked about, emphasized that it is only rumor at this point, and asked her to consider how much she would be willing to pay for such an upgrade if it was offered.

$4,000

Now *I* know that her price is completely unrealistic, but I thought it interesting as a data point of what she thought reasonable to sink into an old(er) car. Not much. When I asked her to justify her number she said she heavily discounted her estimate due to the risk of the car needing other repairs down the road. I reminded her that the car only has 45k miles on the odometer, but she was adamant that car age is its own risk.

The odd (and to me irrational) thing here is that she has mixed feelings about spending ~ $60k on a Tesla, yet she prefers that over spending a much smaller amount of money on the LEAF she is satisfied with. The only other confounder I know of is that she wants us to own a car that is good for trips. I've made it pretty clear that we should only own one car due to our usage patterns and the rodent issues that come up with a car left unused for days or weeks. She is highly skeptical of car rental for trips, in part a matter of sharing with strangers and getting cars in unknown condition; and in part a (probably justifiable) notion that I would be even less inclined to go on trips.

I'm rambling. It was mostly brought on by my opinion that the future is one of more and more rentals. They make such good sense ... except people do not like them.

SageBrush said:
I told my wife that a rumor of a 24 - 40 kWh swap by Nissan is being talked about, emphasized that it is only rumor at this point, and asked her to consider how much she would be willing to pay for such an upgrade if it was offered.

$4,000

Now *I* know that her price is completely unrealistic, but I thought it interesting as a data point of what she thought reasonable to sink into an old(er) car. Not much. When I asked her to justify her number she said she heavily discounted her estimate due to the risk of the car needing other repairs down the road. I reminded her that the car only has 45k miles on the odometer, but she was adamant that car age is its own risk.

The odd (and to me irrational) thing her is that she has mixed feelings about spending ~ $60k on a Tesla, yet she prefers that over spending a much smaller amount of money on the LEAF she is satisfied with. The only other confounder I know of is that she wants us to own a car that is good for trips. I've made it pretty clear that we should only own one car due to our usage patterns and the rodent issues that come up with a car left unused for days or weeks. She is highly skeptical of car rental for trips, in part a matter of sharing with strangers and getting cars in unknown condition; and in part a (probably justifiable) notion that I would be even less inclined to go on trips.

I'm rambling. It was mostly brought on by my opinion that the future is one of more and more rentals. They make such good sense ... except people do not like them.

I can see her point. The battery is just one thing in a still very complicated intertwined piece of machinery. The major point being that insurance companies are currently NOT recognizing battery upgrades in the many Gen Ones who have gotten 40's. Its still all about what year the car was built and how much to replace "that" car.

But then again, $60,000 is also hard to justify especially when the market has a ton of 200+ mile EVs out there for many dollars less. Sure, they maybe lesser cars but imm, not nowhere near $20,000 less.

DaveinOlyWA said:
But then again, $60,000 is also hard to justify especially when the market has a ton of 200+ mile EVs out there for many dollars less. Sure, they maybe lesser cars but imm, not nowhere near $20,000 less.

I don't have any desire to spend $40k for a local-ish EV, and the *only* EV I would use for long distance driving is Tesla. This is why I keep mulling over keeping an inexpensive EV for our daily driver and then renting for trips.

It makes sense to me. Perhaps my wife will be more open to the idea when the national car rental agencies are offering long range Tesla.

Since I love EVs and my wife does not, we subscribe to the 2 car theory: 1 EV and 1 ICE...and it works really well. In fact, I recommend this scenario to lots of folks who are (initially) anti-EV.
I am fine with a "200-ish mile" EV, and actually did my own 24->40kWh upgrade (https://www.myeva.org/blog/keeping-your-nissan-leaf) to achieve that (instead of spending ~$40k on a new car). So, we take my car around town and my wife's car on longer (or road) trips. It works out well for both of us as my Leaf gets the bulk of (cheap) miles, and the Explorer is great for trips and cargo.
My 2 cents.

SageBrush said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

I don't have any desire to spend $40k for a local-ish EV, and the *only* EV I would use for long distance driving is Tesla. This is why I keep mulling over keeping an inexpensive EV for our daily driver and then renting for trips.

It makes sense to me. Perhaps my wife will be more open to the idea when the national car rental agencies are offering long range Tesla.

I for one would love to see long range Teslas being available to rent. 1) it would promote EVs and 2) would strengthen the need for charging infrastructure IMO. 3) I would consider renting one for a vacation type trip.

I would love to get my husband sold on the idea of him being "okay" with EVs. He's sticking to an ICE car until the "range problem is solved". I have told him time and time again, that for the not too distant future if I needed to make a long car trip again I would RENT a vehicle anyways. Which is exactly what we did when we moved our 3 felines from Northern California (Bay Area) to the Portland Oregon metro. We needed the room for 2 humans, 3 pissed off felines and all their crap, plus a few of the humans' clothing and sundries. A moving truck did the rest. But getting a medium sized SUV did the trick. But I would NOT want that big of a car for everyday driving. I'm very happy with the size of my Leaf, in fact if it was smaller I'd okay with that.

Can anyone tell me what sizes has battery busbars? I want to know battery small busbar and long busbar also.

Back