Side mirror loose

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeafPD

Hi all. I searched the forum but couldn't find anything, even though I can't believe this hasn't happened to anyone else. Our 2015 S passenger side mirror is loose. I can pull it away from its mount and see that it is just glued on with some very thick, sticky clear substance. Has this in fact happened to anyone? If so, what did you do? Maybe some of that thick red double sided tape? TIA for all suggestions.

I haven't heard of this being an issue on a Leaf either but it has happened to two other brands of cars I've owned.

If it's just the glass that is loose, I'd pull it completely off and re-attach it with some sort of silicone RTV. The glass can eventually fall off completely and then you'll have to buy a new piece, BTDT. Fix it before it gets worse.

It happens to basically all older Nissan NV200 vans after about 6 years in the snowbelt. On the NVs part of the construction of what holds the mirror to the door is made out of pot or sometimes called white metal and disintegrates after it's exposed to salt and the elements. Some guys have taken it to the dealer where they come back with a $800 fix of replacing the mirror assembly which includes the motors to adjust the mirror, heater and wiring. Myself I simply took 3 or 4 galvanized sheetrock screws about 2 1/2" long and ran them through the black part that rests against the door and the pot metal behind it. I did this about 2 years ago and it's still holding the mirror secure.
Not sure if this is whats wrong with your Leaf but the Leaf is a Nissan like a NV so it could be a similar thing?? in my case I didn't think glue would hold the weight of the mirror and being a work truck, looks were second place to the security of the mirror.

I'm posting this in case it helps anyone else. The goop that the previous owner presumably applied is not part of the stock assembly. The problem was that a few of the little retainer clips on the back of the actual mirror part had broken off. A new $60 mirror purchased online solved the problem with no goop necessary.

Back