2013 Leaf SV, should I buy?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomciaccio

I'm considering a Leaf to mainly run around a major metro area. I live in St. Paul, MN. Found this vehicle and considering buying it.
- 2013 Leaf SV
- 11 bars
- Manufacture date Aug 2013
- $10,000

Thoughts?

Thank you for the responses.
How many miles do you think I can get out of a 11 bar, 2013 built in August 2013?

tomciaccio said:
How many miles do you think I can get out of a 11 bar, 2013 built in August 2013?

Do you mean odometer miles, or range? The first is "lots" and the second depends on the driving conditions. Figure 20% less range on a given route than a new 2013 Leaf SV. Does it have the Charge or Premium packages?

tomciaccio said:
Living in MN with an 11 bar 2013S if you drive much on the freeway, don't expect much more than 55-60 miles summer, depending on your driving style and 40 or lower in extreme(single digits or lower) temps. Now having a heatpump you should get better range in temps like we currently have(40s) but in extreme temps we should be about the same.
Note I'm pretty sure being a '13 SV you won't have a backup camera, unless it has a particular package, if that matters to you.
As Leftie said, the '13 model year, and in particular ones with a build date after March so they'll have the better battery chemistry, are one of the better model year Leafs for features, well unless yours lacks the backup camera.

So the 13 Leaf (11bar) I'm considering DOES have the backup camera. I'm encouraged by the comments I've read above. We'll be using this car for mostly city driving.

We are going to test drive it on Tuesday. How do I ensure the battery is as good as it apparently seems? Should I test drive it for 10 or so miles and expect what? (one less bar), I dunno....my first Leaf purchase.

thanks,
tom

If you can drive it that far, then ask the owner to set the dash display to show percentage of charge if it isn't already set that way. Then, note the charge % (like 56%), and the odometer reading, and drive it the way you plan to drive it until you've used 10% (in the above case, to 46%) of the charge. If possible, run the heat. Multiply the number of miles you get from 10% by 10, and that will be the approximate range you will see from it with a full charge.

Opinion varies, but I strongly feel that my 2013 LEAF continues to give me good utility because it has a Chademo port (DC fast charging). Although the pricing on DC fast charging can be a rip off, it extends the useable range of my LEAF considerably.

So, depending on how often you might need the extra range from en route charging, you might want to consider holding out for a 2013/2014 that has the charge package.

I don't need it often, but waiting 15 - 20 mins at a DC fast charger is a heck of a lot less tedious and time consuming than L2 charging.

alozzy said:
Opinion varies, but I strongly feel that my 2013 LEAF continues to give me good utility because it has a Chademo port (DC fast charging). Although the pricing on DC fast charging can be a rip off, it extends the useable range of my LEAF considerably.

So, depending on how often you might need the extra range from en route charging, you might want to consider holding out for a 2013/2014 that has the charge package.

I don't need it often, but waiting 15 - 20 mins at a DC fast charger is a heck of a lot less tedious and time consuming than L2 charging.
In MN we have few L3 charging options and almost all we do are quite expensive as you said. Both my Leafs have QC and I can count on one hand how many times I've used it, basically to verify it worked. Now my brother on the other hand occasionally uses his, living in a city apartment with no access to home charging. Mostly he tries to get by using free L2 charging at grocery stores but does have access to one free L3 charger at the U of M but he says it's frequently in use and has gotten that way more since gas prices got near $4/gallon in MN.
To me and my brother has said this as well, the most important thing on a Leaf is the double speed L2 charging. As almost all free(and pay as well I guess) public L2 chargers are 30a so on a '13(or any Leaf with a 24kwh battery) with said charger you can gain roughly 30%/hr or 3hrs and you are mostly full from being mostly not. On the same battery if you only had the 16a built-in charger you'll only gain roughly 16%/hr or it would take you 6hrs to go from mostly empty to mostly full. To me that's the really handy thing for a Leaf to have. As I have 30a charging at home it's also nice to pull into the garage for a couple hours and gain 60% and then get back out on the road, 16a charging would greatly reduce the usefulness of the Leaf to me, well for multiple trips the same day that is.
To OP, all the pre '13 Leafs only have 16a L2 charging and for sure the earlier S models do, unless they have the charging package. I also think some of the SVs may only be 16a 240v charging too but I'm not positive about that. All the post '12SL models will have the faster L2 charging.

I also think some of the SVs may only be 16a 240v charging too but I'm not positive about that.

Only the pre-2013 SVs have 3.3kw charging. In the US and Canada at least, all 2013+ Leaf SV trim cars have the 6.6kw onboard charger.

alozzy said:

I share this experience and opinion. Infrequent CHAdeMO usage, but well worth the cost premium.
Between 5 - 6 kW L2 charging and CHAdeMO, my 2013 LEAF 'S' with charging package still has a lot of life left in her as a city runabout or commuter.

SageBrush said:
alozzy said:

I share this opinion. Infrequent CHAdeMO usage, but well worth the cost premium.
Between 5 - 6 kW L2 charging and CHAdeMO, my 2013 LEAF 'S' with charging package still has a lot of life left in her as a city runabout or commuter.

Glad to see we agree on something for a change. ;)

Back