alozzy
Posts: 2615
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:25 pm
Delivery Date: 18 Jan 2017
Location: Vancouver, BC
Contact: Website

Re: Living in Apartment Building - Charging questions

What about the battery use becoming more ‘steady’ as it is being used? Is that a thing or am I just being optimistic?
If you are hoping that the battery's state of health will magically improve by following charging best practices, the answer is no.

Short of replacing the battery or doing some aero mods, you're not going to improve on the range you are getting.

Having said that, make sure the tires have 40 psi in them as otherwise your range will suffer.
Vancouver, CA owner of a 2013 Ocean Blue SV + QC, purchased 01/2017 in WA
Zencar 12/20/24/30A L1/L2 portable EVSE
1-1/4" Curt #11396 hitch
After market, DIY LED DRLs
LeafSpy Pro + Konnwei KW902 ELM327 BT OBDII dongle
Loving my first BEV :D
SageBrush
Posts: 7621
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:28 am
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017
Location: NM

Re: Living in Apartment Building - Charging questions

LeftieBiker wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:15 pm I'd offer slightly different advice: don't worry about charging to 100% as long as you use the car soon after it's charged, and don't worry about driving it down to 10-20%. Running it to an indicated 0% (actually a bit higher in reality) can let any weak cells in the battery trigger a shutdown, even if you have a significant amount of range left. The car will slow and then shut down to protect the weakest cell(s) in the battery.
1+

Sounds like OP has a 3 kW OBC. Between that, and having to use public charging, it will not be convenient for now. OP will be in *much* better shape when he has access to home charging.
2013 LEAF 'S' Model bought Jan 2017 from N. Cal @ 90% SOH
SOLD 7/2022 @ 83% SOH
User avatar
knightmb
Posts: 1792
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:41 pm
Delivery Date: 26 Feb 2021
Leaf Number: 306291
Location: Franklin, TN

Re: Living in Apartment Building - Charging questions

Jctz1 wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:39 pm
alozzy wrote: Charging does slow down at the top end of the pack, but the 2011/2012 L2 charging rate is slow anyways so you won't really notice much tapering off until you get to high 90% SOC.
Gotcha, thanks a lot for replying to this. What about the battery use becoming more ‘steady’ as it is being used? Is that a thing or am I just being optimistic?
The closest thing to this would be the onboard BMS learning as close as possible, the true battery capacity. Depending on how convenient it is for you, doing a very deep discharge and then following it up with a full charge helps the BMS learn how much capacity remains. This in turn, helps the GOM do a little better prediction of mileage based on the past driving average. LeafSpy is better in that you can see how much capacity is left and then use it to calculate how much range you have based on real-time usage.

What is means is, if you do did this once every few months (or maybe it happens to be close to this in your daily driving), you will get a better idea of what you "mental" range is in your Leaf. For example, when I still owned my 2013 SV, I knew mentally that I could be anywhere in my home town and always make it home as long as I had at least 6% or more of charge left on the dash no matter if I was running heat or AC, etc. My wife on the other hand, feels like 6% is going to shut down on her at any moment, so she did a lot of "white-knuckle" driving of stress for no reason if she was only a few miles from home.
2020 Leaf SL Plus - (Manufacture Date March 2020)
2018 Leaf SL - (Manufacture Date February 2018)
2013 Leaf SV - (8 faithful years of service before trade in at 75,679 miles LeafSpy-Data)
Timekoin - The World's Most Energy Efficient Encrypted Digital Currency
Jctz1
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:04 pm
Delivery Date: 13 Apr 2022
Leaf Number: 015219
Location: General Vancouver Area, BC, Canada

Re: Living in Apartment Building - Charging questions

LeftieBiker wrote: That's exactly what it means. Degradation reduces capacity.
Thanks! Noted.
LeftieBiker wrote:I don't understand the question, I'm afraid.
As in, the battery drains faster when it's fully charged and once it gets to the 50% ish it kind of plateaus. Based on later responses, I can tell this is wishful thinking.
alozzy wrote: Short of replacing the battery or doing some aero mods, you're not going to improve on the range you are getting.

Having said that, make sure the tires have 40 psi in them as otherwise your range will suffer.
That's a possibility I am thinking of in the future, perhaps in 2 or 3 years, checking if I can replace the battery for a 30kWh one. Dunno if anyone in the Lower Mainland does that, though.

Ok, will keep an eye on tire pressure, thanks, @alozzy!
SageBrush wrote: Sounds like OP has a 3 kW OBC. Between that, and having to use public charging, it will not be convenient for now. OP will be in *much* better shape when he has access to home charging.
Yeah, this sounds like it's the case. Hopefully by the end of the year we'll have a more reliable home charging situation.
knightmb wrote: The closest thing to this would be the onboard BMS learning as close as possible, the true battery capacity. Depending on how convenient it is for you, doing a very deep discharge and then following it up with a full charge helps the BMS learn how much capacity remains. This in turn, helps the GOM do a little better prediction of mileage based on the past driving average. LeafSpy is better in that you can see how much capacity is left and then use it to calculate how much range you have based on real-time usage.

What is means is, if you do did this once every few months (or maybe it happens to be close to this in your daily driving), you will get a better idea of what you "mental" range is in your Leaf. For example, when I still owned my 2013 SV, I knew mentally that I could be anywhere in my home town and always make it home as long as I had at least 6% or more of charge left on the dash no matter if I was running heat or AC, etc. My wife on the other hand, feels like 6% is going to shut down on her at any moment, so she did a lot of "white-knuckle" driving of stress for no reason if she was only a few miles from home.
This is interesting. So basically it's like a reset that would let the battery know what the new driving average is, learning faster. I'll think about this, perhaps not the best idea at the moment since we have nowhere to plug it in and fully charge it after it's depleted.

Currently I'm getting roughly 5.2km/kWh on average; we took it on the highway briefly once and it behaved amazingly, and so far I know it doesn't like long hills, going upwards. Going down, the regen loves it. I have been checking A Better Route Planner to have an idea of what the range will be, and actually put in there a trip we made recently and the amount of battery drain is spot on, so so far I trust it.
2012 Leaf SL
LeftieBiker
Moderator
Posts: 19417
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 3:17 am
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018
Location: Upstate New York, US

Re: Living in Apartment Building - Charging questions

The 30kwh batteries are gone, because many if not most of them were terrible. The good news is that since warranty replacements are now 40kwh batteries from the Gen II Leaf, those should be available in another year or two, if not sooner, to buy. You'd be looking at a range of roughly 150 miles with a 40kwh battery.

I suggest you not try a BMS reset, assuming that you can get one done. You'd be looking at months before seeing any improvement, and such improvement would be tiny. Focus on driving the car efficiently. You are already getting fantastic efficiency. I'm going to link our Tips & Tricks document. Many of the techniques don't apply to Gen 1.0 Leafs, but many do.

https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=482154
Brilliant Silver 2021 Leaf SV40 W/ Pro Pilot & Protection
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 2 lithium E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.
SageBrush
Posts: 7621
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:28 am
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017
Location: NM

Re: Living in Apartment Building - Charging questions

LeftieBiker wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:32 am You are already getting fantastic efficiency.
5.2 *km*/kWh is not amazing. It could be explained by the weather, traffic, or hilly city.
2013 LEAF 'S' Model bought Jan 2017 from N. Cal @ 90% SOH
SOLD 7/2022 @ 83% SOH
LeftieBiker
Moderator
Posts: 19417
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 3:17 am
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018
Location: Upstate New York, US

Re: Living in Apartment Building - Charging questions

True enough - I forgot to convert from km. All the more reason to read the T&T guide.
Brilliant Silver 2021 Leaf SV40 W/ Pro Pilot & Protection
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 2 lithium E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.
alozzy
Posts: 2615
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:25 pm
Delivery Date: 18 Jan 2017
Location: Vancouver, BC
Contact: Website

Re: Living in Apartment Building - Charging questions

Battery replacement is unlikely, due to ICBC and the salvage market they control.

The best bet is likely in Washington State. They seem to have a perpetual backlog, at EV Works though:

https://www.ev-works.com/

I don't know of anyone who has actually done a battery swap with these guys, but they seem capable:

https://www.precisionautoservice.com/

The hardest part is finding a used, healthy battery pack.
Vancouver, CA owner of a 2013 Ocean Blue SV + QC, purchased 01/2017 in WA
Zencar 12/20/24/30A L1/L2 portable EVSE
1-1/4" Curt #11396 hitch
After market, DIY LED DRLs
LeafSpy Pro + Konnwei KW902 ELM327 BT OBDII dongle
Loving my first BEV :D
Jctz1
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:04 pm
Delivery Date: 13 Apr 2022
Leaf Number: 015219
Location: General Vancouver Area, BC, Canada

Re: Living in Apartment Building - Charging questions

LeftieBiker wrote: The 30kwh batteries are gone, because many if not most of them were terrible. The good news is that since warranty replacements are now 40kwh batteries from the Gen II Leaf, those should be available in another year or two, if not sooner, to buy. You'd be looking at a range of roughly 150 miles with a 40kwh battery.

I suggest you not try a BMS reset, assuming that you can get one done. You'd be looking at months before seeing any improvement, and such improvement would be tiny. Focus on driving the car efficiently. You are already getting fantastic efficiency. I'm going to link our Tips & Tricks document. Many of the techniques don't apply to Gen 1.0 Leafs, but many do.

https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=482154
Been going through the tips and tricks document. The blue e was very helpful! I'll keep it bookmarked for future reference. And I do hope I can find a newer battery in a couple of years. Thanks!
SageBrush wrote: 5.2 *km*/kWh is not amazing. It could be explained by the weather, traffic, or hilly city.
I was happy and got brought down back to earth by this one, hahaha. It's fair, it's an older car. We are still figuring out if it adapts to our needs well, which I hope it does, cos I love this car so far.
alozzy wrote: Battery replacement is unlikely, due to ICBC and the salvage market they control.

The best bet is likely in Washington State. They seem to have a perpetual backlog, at EV Works though:

https://www.ev-works.com/

I don't know of anyone who has actually done a battery swap with these guys, but they seem capable:

https://www.precisionautoservice.com/

The hardest part is finding a used, healthy battery pack.
I saw Precision auto when looking for places that could potentially service the car, before buying it. Which reminds me I have some questions about servicing, but I don't know whether to keep this thread alive with those or start a new one...

Thanks again for your continued input in this thread! It has been super helpful.
2012 Leaf SL
tony17112acst
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:56 am
Delivery Date: 21 Mar 2022

Re: Living in Apartment Building - Charging questions

When I saw the title, I thought there might be a discussion on wiring up an outlet for you. I am a landlord and wonder how this will play out as more and more people will be purchasing electric cars.

Talk to your landlord and see if they'd be willing to split the cost with you to have an electrician run a new wire from your breaker box (service panel) out on to the wall of the building near where you park. Inform them that electric cars will be more prevalent soon and having the new outlet will make his apartment more desirable. for renters, maybe even get $10/month more for the apartment with the charging outlet.

I have a 12-unit building and am already trying to figure out how to get outlets on the exterior for tenants. It shouldn't be more than $100 for me since I know electric code and do my own wiring, which is legal where I am, as long as it's inspected by the local codes enforcement officer.
2022 LEAF SV+

Return to “Used LEAF Buying Advice”