Leaf #5460 (2011 SL) at 6 bars, 60K miles, how do I get a new/upgraded battery pack?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darthracing

Hi,

I can't seem to find the most simple of topics here - what do I do with #5460 now that my range is << 40 miles?
60K miles on it, Northern Cali car so heat/cold not been an issue. Car is not in the greatest shape/body dings, but nothing mechanical or electrical. Do I bother selling it? Do I trade it in or just Craigslist?

I want to be "green" and fix it if I can, I am not whining about warranties, I want a quote and sign a check - I'd love to get 150 miles of range
if I put money into it. Will Nissan sell me a 40KWH pack or anything? Am I in DIY land now?

Checking Nissan's website it seems they are not in the business of maintaining their products or customer base...

Thanks,
-Todd

darthracing said:
if I put money into it. Will Nissan sell me a 40KWH pack or anything? Am I in DIY land now?
No.

We also got a report at https://www.facebook.com/groups/776208255810499/user/1640573337/ of someone paying $9500 to get a replacement 24 kWh pack.

It should be possible to get a 40kwh pack installed, but that is complicated by the fact that only a very few swaps into Gen 1.0 Leafs have been done. Your best bet is to find a shop that does these swaps (and they are always with used batteries) in your area, as Nissan very likely will refuse.

Forum member @stanton detailed his 2011 LEAF battery pack upgrade to a 40 kWh pack here:

https://www.myeva.org/blog/keeping-your-nissan-leaf

I'm guessing he will post here soon, but based on his experience it's definitely going to be an adventure :) The hardest part will be finding a battery from a wrecked 2018 or newer LEAF that has an otherwise healthy battery pack. The next big challenge will be finding someone competent and experienced enough to do the installation work.

A copart.com search of your area currently shows 8 potential donor 2018 LEAFs within 200 miles.

WAG -- 100's of people have dropped by to ask about battery replacements.
WAG#2 -- somewhere in the range of 4 - 6 have done the deed.

Back