Display dead, but can I replace with a different one?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clivech

So I just bought a used Leaf and discovered when I got home that the touch screen doesn't work and nor does the Open/Tilt button on my navigation/display system. Previous owner claims no knowledge and has left me to my own devices. I can find used replacement units on Ebay, but none of them has quite the same identifier. Mine is a 25915-3ND0D. I can find a 25915-3NC0C, or a 3NA0C, and several others beginning 3NA... The question is, will any of them work in my vehicle, and what will I lose if I install one? They're not cheap, so I need to get it right. Or does anyone else have another idea? Thanks!

Commonly, problems with the tilt display are caused by overexuberant cleaning where liquids (i.e., Windex) get down inside the unit. You may have luck opening it up and using contact cleaner on the circuit board to remove the contaminants.

I guess you have a 2011 or 2012 model year, based on that part number - is that right?

It's likely that the various revisions of the 25915M part are backwards compatible:

https://www.nissanpartsdeal.com/parts-list/2012-nissan-leaf/body_electrical/audio_visual.html?pnc=25915M

It would be worth a phone call to a knowledgeable Nissan dealership though, to confirm.

Replacing the entire controller is an expensive fix though, I would definitely confirm that all of the electrical plugs for that unit are firmly plugged in and that the contacts are clean. For 5v reference communications, those are typically at milliamp levels so even a little bit of dirt or corrosion of a contact can cause communication errors.

Wouldn't hurt to use LeafSpy to check for any trouble codes too.

Thanks, alozzy. You're right, it's a 2012. It's hard to read the nissanpartsdeal.com website to know which part numbers might be backwards compatible. When you say backwards compatible, I assume you mean that more recent displays would probably work? Unfortunately, the nearest I have found to mine so far is a 3NC0C, which shouldn't be too much earlier than mine. But I can't find any that are 3NDxx. (My model was only installed between June and October in 2012.) The dealer I tried to talk to today (about getting the code for a unit if I bought a used one) was not very forthcoming and didn't seem very knowledgeable. I may have to call around dealers and see if I can find anyone who knows.

When you say check the electrical connections, do you mean all the plugs that go into the back of the unit? Goldbrick suggested checking the fuses, but since the display lights up I doubt that could be the problem. It just doesn't respond to touch. The Open/Tilt button doesn't move at all when you push it, which makes me think it was pushed way too hard. The car belonged to a local authority before I got it so it certainly didn't have one careful owner! It has quite a few signs of abuse inside and out, so I think the unit was just mistreated. Anyway, I'll have a go at taking it out and see if there's anything obviously loose, etc. But since the Open/Tilt button seems to be broken, I think it's the whole unit or nothing.

Another thought just occurred to me. I wonder if I could just replace the screen part of the unit? Someone on Youtube has a video of them replacing a cracked screen with one from a faulty unit they bought on Ebay. It doesn't look to hard to swap them over, and then I wouldn't need a new code either. Trouble is, I can't find anyone advertising just a screen on Ebay at the moment...

Touchscreen replacement is definitely doable, in fact there are several posts on that topic. Since the search engine here is terrible, use Google instead:

touchscreen site:mynissanleaf.com

This post in particular provides part numbers and step by step instructions for a 2014 LEAF. Other model years are likely similar...

https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=453512#p453512

Thanks again, alozzy. The description is exactly what the chap on Youtube goes through, so great to have it corroborated. One problem: I can't get the screen to tilt down in the first place! Since the button doesn't work, I'm not sure how to do it. (I did manage it once by levering under it with a screwdriver, but when I pushed it closed again there was a whirr and click and now it won't budge. I think the electronic lock kicked in.) Do you know if there's a manual way to release it? And now I just have to hope a screen appears on Ebay so I don't have to spend £400 on a complete unit...

No problem, I managed to lever it open again. Nissan are saying I need either a D0D, D0E, D1A, D1B or D1C to be compatible. These are the numbers that were given to subsequent versions of the one I have and they all should work. But none of the others are deemed compatible. They also said they would need to take the car in and reprogram it rather than just give me a code, even if it's compatible, with the cost being 1 hour's labor. We'll see. I'm hoping that won't be necessary. But all this tells me that the best way is to just replace the screen, not the whole unit. I just hope I can find one!

I don't know where you are located but there are usually several crashed Leaf's being parted out on the local craigslist here around Denver, CO.

Looks like you might be out of luck, as Clarion seems to have discontinued the touch panel, based on this listing:

https://www.pacparts.com/part_model.cfm?mfg=CLARION&model_id=QY7210NA&row_start=1&src_model_id=&action=list_part

Specifically the Clarion 013973200 part number (touchscreen).

Maybe phone Clarion or PacParts to see if there is a newer, compatible touchscreen? It's looking like you might need to visit a scrap yard or two...

Have a read through this post.

His looks to be a later model, but it might give you some pointers.

https://www.speakev.com/threads/touch-screen-not-working.157030/

So I ended up repairing the unit in my car, using bits cannibalised from a US car (bought on Ebay for £200). I had to transplant the screen and a cog in the drawer mechanism that had been stripped. Then the new screen started popping in and out incessantly, so I had to clean the ribbon connector inside the screen frame. Quite the job. And now it works. Except I pulled the antenna connector off so I currently have no radio. One day it will all be done...

Back