Arita a test drive impression

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flyct

Leaf Supporting Member
I attended the Ariya test drive event at Orlando Florida yesterday. Here’s my initial impression after a short test drive ina parking lot.

I was a little bit underwhelmed.

Exterior was decent looking.
Interior seating was nothing special
Acceleration was more subdued compared to our Leaf. It was more like an ICE car . Initial torque was less then torque increased as speed increased.
Handling and steering was light.
Interior appointments ie seat etc were just OK, nothing special.
Single pedal e-drive was more subdued than our leaf and it does not come to full stop as our leaf does. It only slows down. It’s less aggressive when coming off the throttle then the. B mode or e-Pedal on our leaf.
Rear seat head room was much better than the leaf
I liked the displays better than a Tesla huge center screen
Cargo storage capacity in trunk area was better than our Leaf but not as big as our 2015 Lexus RX450h
I was surprised that I hit my head on the rear hatch when it was open and I reached into the cargo area. I’m 6’ tall. I don’t hit my head on the leaf rear hatch when opened.
It had the same type hard cargo cover that our SL leaf does.
Battery cooling. I was told battery is kept at 75 degrees all the time even when fast charging with CCS. That’s a big plus

When I asked about placing an order the rep told me dealers are taking pre orders but most are “Price gouging”. She suggested trying country dealerships rather than big city dealers. Her words exactly.

Overall my impression was neutral.

With the recent passage of the new bill possibly allowing Tesla and GM to qualify for the $7500 tax rebate a Tesla Model Y may be a better choice in the long run., due to its possibly holding its value better.

The Nissan rep said dealers are gouging?

How sad is that?

She/he might as well have said:
"Our dealers are gouging, I suggest you don't buy from us."

flyct;
Do you know what "options" were included on your test vehicle?
I am considering (especially if these new incentives become reality) selling my SV+ and buying the Ariya (or make a trade if both used and new incentives are included - sales tax reduction). However, based on your observations, don't think I'd like the Ariya you tested as well as my SV+ - don't want to step backward!

I've just given up on CHAdeMO being part of the future of V2X - big miss of opportunity for those of us with home solar/microgrid aspirations - so CCS is fine for me.

Marktm said:
flyct;
I am considering (especially if these new incentives become reality) selling my SV+ and buying the Ariya (or make a trade if both used and new incentives are included - sales tax reduction). However, based on your observations, don't think I'd like the Ariya you tested as well as my SV+ - don't want to step backward!

I've just given up on CHAdeMO being part of the future of V2X - big miss of opportunity for those of us with home solar/microgrid aspirations - so CCS is fine for me.

I believe it was the Nissan ARIYA EVOLVE+ that I drove. The test drive short and was in a parking lot so I didn't get to test it on the road to check out if it had the ProPilot upgrade. I wont buy a new car without some version of adaptive cruise any more.

If the recent tax credit law goes through completely I would like to look at the GM Offers on the Chevy Electric Blazer. https://www.chevrolet.com/electric/blazer-ev

Oh, great: another 'stepped on by Godzilla' roofline. GM doesn't actually want to sell EVs, apparently. Now that Nissan doesn't either, I guess it's a race to see who sells the least.

Sometimes, pre-production vehicles for test drives are not necessarily reflective of what is available to the customer in that market.

Some permutations or combinations of items on a pre-production vehicle may not exist on a customer car.

Flyct said:
Marktm said:
flyct;

I believe it was the Nissan ARIYA EVOLVE+ that I drove. The test drive short and was in a parking lot so I didn't get to test it on the road to check out if it had the ProPilot upgrade. I wont buy a new car without some version of adaptive cruise any more.

If the recent tax credit law goes through completely I would like to look at the GM Offers on the Chevy Electric Blazer. https://www.chevrolet.com/electric/blazer-ev
Your review made me glad I bought a Mach-E instead of waiting for my Evolve+ reservation. Things I like over my Leaf Plus: 1/2 sec faster to 60, 30 more mile range, frunk, more cargo space, memory seat, high def rear and 360 degree camera, handsfree Blue Cruise, more premium interior, more rear seat space, rear vents, power liftgate. It was about $10k more than my Leaf, but I feel that price is worth it in this market.

The LEAF is also lacking the Mach-E's melting contactors, which adds to the fun of driving aggressively while wondering if the car might suddenly decide to shutdown the HV pack :lol:

The problem involves a potential overheating of the vehicle's high voltage battery main contactors, which is an electrically controlled switch for a power circuit. The issue can lead to a malfunction that could cause the vehicle not to start or immediately lose propulsion power while in motion

Just having a bit of fun :)

Seriously though, it is hard to argue against the safety record of the LEAF, as there have been almost no safety issues with any of the packs.

I have started finally after 3 years using propilot more, as I am going into the city more often with heavier traffic. Very slow but generally moving traffic works really well with PP. Today over a 50+ minute drive it only clicked out once for a few seconds.

Back