Winter time - Blocking the air intake for more range - good or bad?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cajun

Hi!

I was wondering has anyone blocked the air intake under your lisence plate during the winter?
Kinda like you put something infront of the grill of combustion engine cars to keep the engine warmer when its cold outside and by cold I mean way below freezing temps.

Since Leaf cools the battery with air (if Im not mistaken), does really cold air cool it too much?
So if I block the air intake, will it keep the battery, engine etc. warmer and give me more range?
On that note, what is the optimal battery temperature for maximum range?

I tried to find a topic about this, but no luck. If there already is one, feel free to link it here.

Thanks!

Cajun said:
Hi!

I was wondering has anyone blocked the air intake under your lisence plate during the winter?
Kinda like you put something infront of the grill of combustion engine cars to keep the engine warmer when its cold outside and by cold I mean way below freezing temps.

Since Leaf cools the battery with air (if Im not mistaken), does really cold air cool it too much?
So if I block the air intake, will it keep the battery, engine etc. warmer and give me more range?
On that note, what is the optimal battery temperature for maximum range?

I tried to find a topic about this, but no luck. If there already is one, feel free to link it here.

Thanks!

If you are trying to save on the heating penalty, then you would partially block the air intake for the cabin (the one right under the wind shield wipers) so you can still defrost the windshield and have enough circulation to avoid re-heating cold air to just cycle out the back of the Leaf. Since you referred to the front grill, if you have a heat-pump, this won't work because then the heat-pump will just freeze and you'll take a bigger range hit as the PTC electric heater will be running non-stop and it uses a lot more power to heat with. If you have the type of Leaf without the heat-pump, then in theory, you'll gain a little on the aero. I know others have tried this (including myself) to see what aero gains you will get, but at least when I tried it, it wasn't enough to make a difference for range for me.

I have a 2022 Leaf.

I didnt mean making it more aerodymanic, but to limit the cold air intake under the bonnet.
I dont know, but I presume the gap under your lisence plate is designed to take in air to cool the battery?
Also I didnt mean limiting the air intake to the cabin...
But partially blocking the vents under the windwipers might be a good idea, thanks for that bro! I'll definitely try it.

But the main thing I want to know is:
Is there any benefit to block (even partially) the gap under the lisence plate during winter time, to keep the cold air from cooling the battery too much? Or does it even work like that?
Am I thinking more in combustion engine mindset? Like "Really cold air makes the engine run too cold so it uses more gas".

I live in Finland, so freezing temperatures is a big thing. And I want the absolute max out of my range, since I have to drive quite a lot each day.

Cajun said:
There are topics/threads about this sort of thing, but I wouldn't advise it.
There are worse things than a few percent range hit at high speeds... ;)

Stanton said:
Cajun said:
There are topics/threads about this sort of thing, but I wouldn't advise it.
There are worse things than a few percent range hit at high speeds... ;)

Alas the range hit is much worse than a few percents.
During the winter here the usual temperature ranges from -10 Celsius (14F) to -35 Celsius (-31F).

I was thinking, if the surrounding temp is between previously mentioned range, doesnt it cool the battery, traction motor and electronics enough as it is? Without the extreme cold stream of air flowing in?

I'm not an expert when it comes to electricity, so I'm just curious about the reason I get a lot less range during the winter, even when I'm not using AC and/or Heater?
And if there is a way to counter this?

If you could link the other topics or threads about this, I would more than love to read them.

Thanks to everyone for answering, but I need more data. :D

Cajun said:
I'm not an expert when it comes to electricity, so I'm just curious about the reason I get a lot less range during the winter, even when I'm not using AC and/or Heater?

I'd say the biggest effect is that the battery is cold. Like any battery, it gets its energy from chemical reactions and those reactions slow down at colder temps and thus the battery is less capable at lower temps. Just like a 12V lead/acid battery loses power at cold temps, so does the Li battery in your Leaf. Also, the air is denser when cold so the air resistance while driving goes up, etc but I would expect those to be secondary effects compared to the cold temperature of the battery.

Cajun said:
I'm not an expert when it comes to electricity...
It's not about electricity, it's about chemistry (explained just prior).
In fact, at those temps, I wouldn't be surprised if you experience a >20% (negative) impact on your range. Bundle up!

It was common with the Gen I Leafs to block the front air intake in Winter, and it was harmless in Summer, until air temps reached something like 80F. I don't know for a fact, however, if it's wise to do it with the Gen II Leafs...

goldbrick said:
Cajun said:

I'd say the biggest effect is that the battery is cold. Like any battery, it gets its energy from chemical reactions and those reactions slow down at colder temps and thus the battery is less capable at lower temps. Just like a 12V lead/acid battery loses power at cold temps, so does the Li battery in your Leaf. Also, the air is denser when cold so the air resistance while driving goes up, etc but I would expect those to be secondary effects compared to the cold temperature of the battery.

So on that note, restricting the cold airflow to the battery would be a good idea.
I think I'm going to partially block the air intake and see what happens.

Anyone got any idea what is the optimal temperature of the battery?
Is it in the middle of the temperature bar?

So on that note, restricting the cold airflow to the battery would be a good idea.

The problem is more the battery cooling by radiation when the car sits. When it is driven, the car generates heat in the battery by causing current to flow to and from it. I suspect that Nissan has already done most of what is possible, in the Gen II, in the way of avoiding a cold blast on the battery.

Back