charging trouble, error codes, what's next

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david0frank

Hi all, thanks for any thoughts and suggestions.

I have a 2020 Leaf S Plus, about 15,000 miles, many successful road trips so far.

I recently started on a planned two day road trip. I made two charging stops after leaving home.

At the first stop, I started the charge. When I came back about 15 minutes later, the charge had stopped. I started a new charge, which stopped almost immediately. Both times showed an error message on the charger. I tried calling the provider, but it was an answering service and they couldn’t help. I had gotten enough charge in the 15 minutes to make it to the next stop, so I thought I should just go - I’d have better luck there.

At the second stop, both of the two charger handles were caked full of snow and ice. I tried hitting the less full one on my hand but that didn’t work. So I used a ballpoint pen to get the frozen stuff out of the connection areas. I was pretty proud of myself! The handle and the car made a good physical connection. I tried to start the charge. I got a “charge started” message but then immediately I got a “charging stopped” message with an error showing on the charger. I did this three times. I called the provider, and after some diagnostic work, they said it was the car not communicating with the charger - nothing they could do. I got into the car and turned it on, and I saw a “service EV system” message.

I called a Nissan service location about an hour away, they confirmed I’d need to bring it there, and I called a tow truck. The next morning, I talked to the service people. Their plan was to see if the car would take any charge from their level 2 charger. It did. Then they read the error codes in the car’s memory - here’s what they saw, presumably from the event at the second charger.

https://imgur.com/zpQ5wGn

When I look up the U1000 code, it looks like a general error message for the car’s communication system, which could well be the source of the failed charge. But what’s the cause??

The other thing the service people have tried - at my suggestion - is to plug the car into a nearby level 3 charger. They did, and charging started fine.

So now they think they’re done. They haven’t reproduced the problem, so nothing to do. I was expecting either that they’d have to repair / replace something, or that I’d be instructed never to do x or always to do y. I’m worried that I’ll pick up the car, get a hundred miles to the next charger, and I’ll have to be towed back.

I think my concern comes down to, what was the cause of the failed charge (or charges)? I’ve charged with no issues on colder days, with less battery left. Was it some ice in the charger? Is there some issue in the car’s electronics? Do I need a new 12V battery (I see wide support for this in online forums)? Should I always do some maintenance or charging ritual I don’t know about? Are there are additional diagnostics I should have them do?

Thank you so much for any input or thoughts.

Ok, this is probably not much of a help as I have a completely different car (2015 30kWh) but I have had very similar issues with charging. Start then random stop and then later start and instant stop.

Most recently I resolved it by picking a fried spider remains out of one of the communication contacts in the chademo connector (on the charger). I didn't have a ballpoint with me so I had to use (rather poetically) the stem from a leaf found on the ground.

I believe the communication is extremely sensitive. And as these chargers spend a good deal of time a bit warmer than their surroundings, they attract insects and indeed spiders which probably often get squished when someone turns up to rather inconveniently convert their house into an ev charger.

Anyway, could be lots of things, but don't rule out the possibility of it being simply bad contacts in the chargers, undoubtedly exacerbated by your defrosting snow and ice.

Check, clean, clear DTC and repeat.

As I said, not much use. Sorry.

Back