Range indicator off and Climate Energy usage full range

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OzPierre

We have a 2019 Nissan (40 kWh) in Australia. For the last 4 months, the range indicator goes off intermittently. When this happens, the indicator of kWh per 100 km shows no bar, and we noticed also that, on the Menu>Energy panel, the Climate Control energy usage goes to full range. We also notice that, when this happens, it is not possible to heat the car.
The problem goes away after a while (usually next day, or a few days). It does not prevent us to drive the car: We use the km indicator or the battery % to evaluate the remaining range .
The car has been in Nissan garage already 4 times and they cannot find the problem.
It seems to me that the problem is linked to the Climate Control Energy sensor. If the sensor is disconnected or faulty, it would indicate "full range" energy usage or "infinite" energy usage, and therefore assume the remaining range is zero. I explained this to the "mechanics" at Nissan but they do not seem to understand the logic.
It seems to me that, since the problem is intermittent, it must be an electrical contact issue. But where?
Does anyone had this problem before? or know how to fix it?

Welcome. No, this is a new one for us, as well - as far as I know. If you are referring to the sun sensor on the dashboard, I don't think it has that much control over the car. It basically tells the climate control whether or not the sun is heating the interior, and that's about it. I think that while it can affect the energy consumption (from cooling, especially), it can't tell the car that ALL of the battery's energy is being used to cool the cabin, or to heat it. More likely this is a problem with the circuitry used to monitor how much power is being drawn from the battery, and where it is being allocated. I don't know that that is a sensor. More likely, I think, it's a little processor. With the current chip shortage, it may be that marginal chips are being passed for QC...

There are numerous computer modules that communicate with each other through the CAN Bus. I suspect something is interfering with the communication between modules, so the dash display and HVAC system do not know the status of the traction battery. The dash believes the traction battery is very low so it shows no remaining range. The HVAC system will also shutdown if it thinks extremely low battery shutdown is imminent.

Hello guys,
I have a 2020 Nissan Leaf SV. It also happened to me. I can't see my estimated range anymore.
I have been driving ok for the last couple days.
Does anyone know how to fix it?
IMG_20231224_150352.jpg

Back