Cost per mile / cost per km

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

byteharmony

Math for cost per mile is troubling me. Is this math wrong? How? Sorry, couldn't find answers here with search.

ICE / hybred
Gas: (prius) $3 / gal / 57 mpg = 5.2 $/mile.

EV
Power: 40kwh * .15 $/kw = $6
$6 / 150 miles = $0.04 / mile

Battery replacement
$7500 / 100000 miles = $0.075

Total: $0.115 / mile

Considerations:
I did not consider mechanical costs: breaks, transmissions, 12v batteries, etc. They both will have these costs, the leaf will be less.

I did not consider a tesla: the insurance cost alone removes it from competition.

I did not consider the ability of me being able to recycle the battery into my solar system and other power toys. I have a 14kwh system, the benefit to me is real. My cost for the battery is from vendors who keep the old battery and include labor.

How do we justify the cost?

Sorry if this is asked and answered 900 times.

The first value should be $0.052 / mile. Or 5 cents per mile. The other values are then 4 cents per mile for electricity and 7.5 cents per mile for the amortized battery replacement cost. This doesn't include oil changes, spark plugs, air filters and all the other maintenance differences required for an ICE vs an EV.

Realistically, a Prius will not get 57 mi/gal unless driven very conservatively. A LEAF would get more than 150 miles on 40 kWh if driven that conservatively. Also, many places have lower off-peak power rates that reduce the charging cost. As an example, here are more realistic costs for my location, power rates, and driving style:

Prius: $4.00 per gallon and 40 mi/gal yields $0.10 per mile. Assuming $50 per oil change every 5,000 miles adds another $0.01 per mile so the total comes to $0.11 per mile.

LEAF: 3 miles per kWh from the wall and $0.0808 per kWh yields $0.0269 per mile for electricity. I have over 60,000 miles with 12 capacity bars still showing so the traction battery should last at least 150,000 miles before the range drops below my daily driving needs. Assuming a 62 kWh battery costs $10,000 when the time comes for replacement yields $0.0667 per mile for the battery. $0.0269 + $0.0667 = $0.0936 per mile.

I purchased 2 gallons of regular unleaded gasoline for my portable generator last week for $8.00 and the residential power bill I just received has off-peak power cost of $0.0808 including all taxes and miscellaneous fees. Therefore, the LEAF is cheaper for me to drive than a Prius. Obviously, there are differences in gasoline and electricity costs so your cost comparisons may vary.

The cost of ICE pollution and fossil consumption is in the range of $6 a gallon, paid for in the cost of healthcare and through general taxation.

Debating the cost of "pollution/etc." is problematic, so I won't go there (although I firmly believe that EVs are better for the environment).
@GerryAZ pretty much nailed the "per mile" costs...and touched on the maintenance aspect (with the oil changes), but after 10+ years of EV ownership, I think maintenance costs are often ignored by the non-EV crowd.
I spent at least $5k in maintenance for every ICE car I ever owned...and I've spent less than $500 on my Leaf (Note: tires are not included as they are a constant for any vehicle). Now you can argue battery replacement costs (which are significant), but the battery tech has improved dramatically (I suspect my current 40 kwh pack will last much longer than my 24 kWh pack) and it probably more than doubled the life of my Leaf (assuming I keep it another 10 years...which is my goal).

Scope definition is needed.
The moment pack replacement costs are talked about, the scope has expanded to all costs. Ignoring some of the most important ones is a fool's errand.

'Better' is the banter over out of pocket fuel cost per km, comparing say fossil fuel to electricity in my town. It is a trivial and pretty useless discussion, but at least one can reach a conclusion that is coherent

GerryAZ said:
Prius: $0.11 per mile.

LEAF: $0.0936 per mile.

Updated numbers, thanks for all your help! How I got them below:
Leaf: $0.1079 Prius: $0.1186 SUV: $0.2436
My personal numbers: Power 0.04 (some mobile charging and some off peak in winter maybe?), battery 1/3 price as I want to recycle the cells into my solar and I will do the replacement:
My Leaf: $0.0339

The first value should be $0.052 / mile. Or 5 cents per mile. – Correct, typo, thx
This doesn't include oil changes, spark plugs, air filters and all the other maintenance differences required for an ICE vs an EV.
$50 @ 5000 miles: $0.01

Spark plugs:
$170 @ 30000 miles = $0.005

Air filter – Air compressor cleaned @ my place 😉.

Realistically, a Prius will not get 57 mi/gal unless driven very conservatively. Prius: $4.00 per gallon and 40 mi/gal yields $0.10 per mile.

I have over 60,000 miles with 12 capacity bars still showing so the traction battery should last at least 150,000 miles before the range drops below my daily driving needs. – Agreed, and I will be one to drive it kindly and safely. Although I have to admit, as it gets older, I have more cash and more time on my hands I may have multiple leaf vehicles, do work on them and make one into an extreme hobby toy. I can dream of making it into a 2 seater, adding a significantly larger battery and doing the dala inverter upgrade:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGBA8VPWwIg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TR4CN2_rRh4
Certainly more appropriate for another thread, but a quick search turned up no results

The cost of ICE pollution and fossil consumption is in the range of $6 a gallon, paid for in the cost of healthcare and through general taxation.
No question the health side effects for world can be better, especially if we cycle the lithium into other purposes after it comes out of our leaf cars. Sticking to finances on this thread.
I spent at least $5k in maintenance for every ICE car I ever owned...and I've spent less than $500 on my Leaf (Note: tires are not included as they are a constant for any vehicle).
- As soon as you add a exhaust system, starter system, transmission, alternator, fuel pump, etc, the costs get real as each system is really taxed on ICE. Let’s add some cost to that. $5 may be high for a smaller car, I agreed on mid size and SUV. Let’s go with $2,500 at 100k miles, surely at 200k you’re going to increase the number for ICE, that gets you closer to your $5k
$2,500 @ 100,000 = $0.025

Now you can argue battery replacement costs (which are significant), but…
How about car batteries? They are made so cheap in ICE and are just tortured with current draw. For EV they are still used, but we can much more safely go with AGM or even Lithium as the current draws are much less drastic, maybe even DIY ;). Of course if you’re going to have a lithium battery last that long we should consider having a heater on it for when it gets really cold. Another DIY project for me ;).
https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=11999 - a fun thread to read, good jokes, pretty long, I stopped reading at 2017.
This thread lists someone using an $845 battery in 2013, today off the shelf replacements are under $129

Adding all this information to my spreadsheet, leaving $0.15 for KW, not everyone can afford solar, some times you have to charge on peak, sometimes off peak, sometimes quick charging at terrible rates, I got:
Leaf: $0.1079 Prius: $0.1186 SUV: $0.2436
My personal numbers: Power 0.04 (some mobile charging and some off peak in winter maybe?), battery 1/3 price as I want to recycle the cells into my solar and I will do the replacement:
Leaf: $0.0339
Now we’re talking!! Fantastic work everyone, thank again for your help!
BTW, anyone else know of any other EV vehicle that allows for a Leaf spy type program, this is required for it to be my hobby, and low insurance rates like the older leaf?

Back