Sailun eRange tires

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DougWantsALeaf

So I have the eRange tires on the 2019 SV+ now. I was away for a week (tested a Bolt), so got to this a bit later than expected.

The eRange tires cost my $108/piece from Walmart on sale. 205/55/r16.

I took an initial loop at 60mph for 4.7miles/kWh (63F ambient) which was close to my tests with the old ecopias late last year. I need to do another side by side with both Leafs.to get the comparative test. At 60mph, the GPS speed bounced between 58 and 59 mph.

The grip and steering response with the tires on dry surfaces is good and you can kind of feel the reinforced sidewalls when driving compared to the ecopias.

I will report back once I have more data.

nice report...I have 30,000 on my Michelins....looks like they can easily go another 10,000 +. Interested in your testing results.

Thanks!

I am starting to feel very old that new eco tires are exciting.

I did a similar loop this morning at 55mph and 70F. 5.2 m/kWh per dash. 169 whr/mile per Leafspy....which feels low.

The loop has you get off and back on to come back and not quite 20 miles, so a little penalty for coming to speed 2x in a short distance.

Roll down test (there is a gentle hill in our neighborhood) was pretty similar to the ecopias.

Road noise is anecdotally modestly better than the ecopias. I don't have anything beyond my ears to verify it though..

Now for a 70mph test.

Ok, ran my 70mph test keeping speedo at as close to 72 mph as I could (which is 70ish gps..interesting g that leafspy seems to reflect GPS speed, not speedo). I reset my efficiency when at speed and had only the 1 turnaround deceleration and acceleration at the far end of the loop. 70F ambient.

Over all efficiency 3.9-4.0 miles kWh per dash. Lesfspy which included some non highway was very close at 253 whr/mile.

This is maybe .2 off of what I would have saw with the worn ecopias. (Guessing)

Prior to the test my overall average for the past 10 days including the previous 55mph range test (240ish miles) was 5.8 miles/kWh. Very similar to my previous summer local and gentle highway driving average in previous summers.

I had a longish drive to the western suburbs yesterday hich included a relatively a unimpeded 35 mile stretch of freeway in both directions going pretty much straight west then straight east. 69-71F and a 10 mph wind going towards the east

Tried to keep it at 70mph going out as possible and ended up going a bit faster the way back due to fast moving traffic.

Outbound was 3.6 miles/kWh. And return was 5.0-5.1 which translates to 4.3 miles/kWh average. That's fairly close to what I was seeing with the ecopias for this stretch.

I think the bigger question now is how do the tires do when it get cold...and snowy. We have a few months for that.

I am disappointed in the Conti ECO tires- brand new and over the first 1K miles I see 3.5 m/kWh whereas with the original Ecopia tires, during the previous month with essentially the same driving patterns, we were seeing 3.9 to 4.0 m/kWh. Tires are the only variable..... the best I can hope now is that they are tougher than the Ecopias (2 of which had road hazard issues) and last longer- the reduction in efficiency may possibly cost less than replacing tires at more frequent intervals. Continental does have an 80K mile warranty (for what that is worth) and they cost over $100 less than the Michelin for 4 tires. No issues with handling but we drive like old people anyway.

Hello, it seems like you know about tires for the Leaf. I have a 2020 Leaf SV and I can't find decent price tires. The ecopias are out of stock, the sailun you have don't fit my rims (215/50 R17). It's hard to know what tires might work as EV tires. Can you recommend any options. Thanks!

https://www.speedytire.com/tires/sailun/erange-ev-ecosphere/215-50r17-9630799?gclid=Cj0KCQjwldKmBhCCARIsAP-0rfxak_CwtLN93GuHBZEoPGtz3C61ls51ywNjCPs9P9T9dfq29tgZNMcaAtOsEALw_wcB

It looks like they sell that size.

As a heads up, I don't know yet how these tires do in snow.

I have about 2k miles on these tires, and still very happy (in warm weather). The combination of grip and efficiency is pretty good. Above 80F the efficiency is extremely good.

I just cringe now when driving my.other Leaf Plus with crossclimate2, and only able.to get low 4s at 55-60mph.

Hello, it seems like you know about tires for the Leaf. I have a 2020 Leaf SV and I can't find decent price tires. The ecopias are out of stock, the sailun you have don't fit my rims (215/50 R17). It's hard to know what tires might work as EV tires. Can you recommend any options. Thanks!

We bought 4 new Continental tires that are supposed to be designed for efficiency, and immediately saw a reduction in range from around 3.9 wioth the original Ecopias to around 3.4 m/kWh. No other variables came into play so it is hard to recommend the Contis. For better or for worse, they are supposed to last really well....

Want to confirm: we are talking about 2 or 3 different tires (brands) here, right?

• Sailun (which I've never heard of)
  • Contis = Continentals? (which I've never owned)
  • Michelin (which I've owned a couple sets of Defenders--with good m/kWh)

Do we have more "data" on the Sailun? Can you buy them somewhere other than Walmart? All I know is I'll never go back to the Ecopias.

I was only referring to the Sailun eRange tires. I bought mine from Walmart as they had a sale. You can get them from other tire resellers, but haven't looked around too much.

There is not too much data on the tires yet, hence my warning, especially about winter grip. This is why the Crossclimate2s are heading back to Kansas. I don't want to send my daughter into potential cold weather with them until I know they perform OK.

Hi Dougwantsaleaf, I ended up finding a local tire place that sells the Sailun Erange tires and had them installed on my 2020 Leaf SV. They were $125 each for the 215/50 R17, plus fees and install. Still, that was a much better price than any alternative. Thanks for your help and advice.

We now have 4000+ miles on the Sailun tires.

I am still waiting for the first snow of substance to test the winter handling.

Still happy with the tires, though do feel like under hard acceleration on very wet pavement in the cold (35-40F) they slip a bit more than in summer.

Wear and efficiency has been good so far, but it's still early.

FYI, the Tire Rack is the place to research tires. They regularly publish tire comparisons and naturally they've started to include EV tire comparisons as a new topic to explore. They typically will test two or three similar styled tires on identical Tesla Model 3's and they do include range/efficiency in the comparison. Some examples:

Michelin Primacy MXM4 (Tesla OE tires) vs. Crossclimate2:
Crossclimate2 loses 10% range.

Continental ProContact RX (Tesla OE tires) vs PureContact LS vs Bridgestone Turanza EV:
PureContact loses 6% range vs. ProContact
Turanza loses 15% range vs. ProContact

In both cases the Tesla OE tires reviewed very well. As expected, Tesla has done their homework on a component that has such a dramatic impact on range and ride quality.

FYI, the Tire Rack is the place to research tires. They regularly publish tire comparisons and naturally they've started to include EV tire comparisons as a new topic to explore. They typically will test two or three similar styled tires on identical Tesla Model 3's and they do include range/efficiency in the comparison. Some examples:

Michelin Primacy MXM4 (Tesla OE tires) vs. Crossclimate2:
Crossclimate2 loses 10% range.

Continental ProContact RX (Tesla OE tires) vs PureContact LS vs Bridgestone Turanza EV:
PureContact loses 6% range vs. ProContact
Turanza loses 15% range vs. ProContact

In both cases the Tesla OE tires reviewed very well. As expected, Tesla has done their homework on a component that has such a dramatic impact on range and ride quality.
I found it surprising how much more efficient the OEM ecopias were on the S+ over the Michelin energy savers. Neither was road safe in snow.

Ok, Chicago received its first real snow yesterday morning, so I took the car around for a spin with the eRange tires.

Tires did ok. Modestly better than what I remember with the eCopias and Michelin energy savers, but that has a large degree of foggy memory and subjectivity. Certainly nothing close to what cross climate 2 tires provide (what we have on our other Leaf). When making corners with some speed, you still needed some overcorrection with modest slide, but not horrendous. Stopping distance wasn't great, with significant abs activation to stop.

Just passing 6K miles on eRange tires. I still enjoy the improved handling vs. The ecopias (and Michelins). They are doing great. Winter efficiency has been pretty good..but it was been a warm winter to be fair.

Back