Pedestrian Warning Sound opportunity

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OrientExpress

For those of you that have figured out how to make the Pedestrian Warning Sound off by default, I'd like to offer a challenge.

If there was a method to change the sound the Pedestrian Warning system makes to a sound of my own preference, I'd buy that.

I was thinking of something along the lines of a techno "La Cucaracha"...

Others may have other ideas.

or the Jetsons, or Tron.

Whoever starts offering ECU upgrades will likely have this as an option.

I agree. This has to be done sooner or later. :lol:

I may have pulled all the pieces together and done the writeup for the VPS OFF mod, but I don't have the tools or electronics knowledge to pull this off myself. This sounds like (another) job for turbo2ltr. Man, we need about 6 of that guy... I'm more than willing to experiment and help test though!

GeekEV said:
I agree. This has to be done sooner or later. :lol:

I may have pulled all the pieces together and done the writeup for the VPS OFF mod, but I don't have the tools or electronics knowledge to pull this off myself. This sounds like (another) job for turbo2ltr. Man, we need about 6 of that guy... I'm more than willing to experiment and help test though!

Make it so. :mrgreen:

Not to be a moralist, but I'd suggest care in making any modification to the warning sound. I picked up a friend by a curb and he was not able to hear the warning sound, which I had not deactivated. He happens to be blind so I have plans to make sure my car meets the ADA specs.

Rick

rickbecker said:
Not to be a moralist, but I'd suggest care in making any modification to the warning sound. I picked up a friend by a curb and he was not able to hear the warning sound, which I had not deactivated. He happens to be blind so I have plans to make sure my car meets the ADA specs.

Rick

Good point; I'd sure hate to run over somebody; then when I get hauled to court, they find :eek: :eek: that I had disabled the pedestrian warning!

The VPS is a knee jerk legal reaction to a problem that shouldn't exist. As a driver, pedestrians ALWAYS have the right of way (here in CA anyway). It is my responsibility as a driver to be on the lookout and avoid THEM, blind or not. The sound is just a way of trying to push that responsibility off to the pedestrian to hear you instead. It shouldn't be necessary. Besides which, 90% of the time I've got my stereo blasting anyway - they'll hear that before the VPS anyway... :lol:

Besides which, the existing sound is very quiet. Maybe we would use this mod to make it LOUDER. :cool:

GeekEV said:
The VPS is a knee jerk legal reaction to a problem that shouldn't exist. As a driver, pedestrians ALWAYS have the right of way (here in CA anyway). It is my responsibility as a driver to be on the lookout and avoid THEM, blind or not. The sound is just a way of trying to push that responsibility off to the pedestrian to hear you instead. It shouldn't be necessary. Besides which, 90% of the time I've got my stereo blasting anyway - they'll hear that before the VPS anyway... :lol:

Besides which, the existing sound is very quiet. Maybe we would use this mod to make it LOUDER. :cool:
The regulation should be applied to any vehicle that produces less than some set DB of noise (loudness) at low speeds. They've made significant strides in getting some of the gasoline cars to be quiet enough to surprise pedestrians - though it's still no excuse for hitting someone, like obviously if they are hearing impaired or deaf. It's basic driver responsibility not to hit people, children, lamp posts, concrete columns, other vehicles, houses, bridges... etc. And comparing this issue to texting while driving and the numerous fatalities from that...

derkraut said:
rickbecker said:

Rick

Good point; I'd sure hate to run over somebody; then when I get hauled to court, they find :eek: :eek: that I had disabled the pedestrian warning!

The pedestrian warning law isn't in effect yet, nor could I find anything in the bill ( http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/D?c111:4:./temp/~c111UTU44d::) that says it's illegal to disable/change the sound. It just says that the manufacturer cannot make it so the sound can be disabled. It says nothing about us changing it. :twisted:

OrientExpress said:
For those of you that have figured out how to make the Pedestrian Warning Sound off by default, I'd like to offer a challenge.

If there was a method to change the sound the Pedestrian Warning system makes to a sound of my own preference, I'd buy that.

I was thinking of something along the lines of a techno "La Cucaracha"...

Others may have other ideas.

A loud V8 or maybe the rattle and creaking noise of tank tracks. Pedestrian turns round expecting to see a tank and sees a Leaf :)

I just bought a 2013 leaf, and I can't hear any sound at all going forward except the slight whine of the inverter. I even drove next to a wall with the window open... It does make a beep beep sound, but only when backing up. What kind of sound does the system put out when going forward? Is my car broken?

johnrhansen said:
I just bought a 2013 leaf, and I can't hear any sound at all going forward except the slight whine of the inverter. I even drove next to a wall with the window open... It does make a beep beep sound, but only when backing up. What kind of sound does the system put out when going forward? Is my car broken?
That's not inverter whine. That's the pedestrian warning sound.

johnrhansen said:
How come then it stops when I take my foot off the gas but am still moving?
It doesn't, although it appears to be modulated. There is no inverter whine, just like Brett said. Anyway, there are YouTube videos and this is likely best discussed on a different thread.

Has anybody looked into this?
Does the module behind the glove box Generate the audio, and the speaker is just a speaker?
Or does the the module supply voltage (variable?) and the sound is generated at the speaker assembly?

KillaWhat said:
Does the module behind the glove box Generate the audio, and the speaker is just a speaker?
Yes, exactly. It's all on the forum, and I would reference the relevant threads, if I had more time. Ingineer and turbo2ltr posted detailed photos and analysis couple of years ago.

How much for the device, if anyone can do it, and how many sound options?

V8, tank treads, Jetsons, ice cream truck, flying saucer, phaser, cows mooing, ducks, Godzilla, crowds running from Godzilla, the Monty Python theme, foghorns, etc, etc.

Maybe custom download sounds like ringtones.

Sounds for any occasion.

Love it.

You could get an aftermarket horn tone synthesizer and either rewrire the existing VSP speaker or disable it. The synthesizer I linked above seems to be popular with Model S owners, but there could be other alternatives as well. If you wish to pursue this mod, I would recommend setting up a new thread with the appropriate title and start linking all available information. This particular discussion does not contain any relevant details, and there are many duplicate threads.

Back