Buttons below driver's vent on dash?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yanquetino

May I ask what these buttons are for, and how they function?

leaf_buttons.jpg

My guesses, left to right:

* Toggle regenerative braking on/off?
* Unlatch the lid to the charging ports?
* Toggle charging on/off?

When the left and right buttons are "off," do they light up?

Since we don't seem to be getting many official responses here, let's place our bets!

My guess on the left one - disable traction control
My guess on the center button - same as yours - open the charging port
My guess on the right one - disable timed charging (meaning it will just charge when plugged in, instead of waiting for the programmed time)

I kind of hope I'm wrong though - since I'll be opening the charging port every day, I would rather have that button somewhere where I won't be missing it. With it nestled in between two other buttons, I'm just as apt to hit the left or right as I am the middle one.

I would guess that whatever they enable/disable, the indication of that change would be on the dash, not on the buttons.

This is going to be a long wait ::sigh::

You can pose these questions in the "leaf in california" thread. Someone will ask these questions ...

JasonT said:
My guess on the left one - disable traction control
That was my second guess too, and seems to match the illustration better, but I ventured my first guess because the other two buttons had to do with charging. I'm curious to know the definitive answers.

Right: Leaf the car in "schueduled" (later) charge mode, also opens e-hatch.
Middle: Enable "charge now" mode, also opens the e-hatch.
Left: Disable Driving before charging? Or, Begin evasive manoeuvres (grin)

I'm a bit disappointed at needing to push a button to open the e-hatch. I had imagined one of those latches that you push on and it pops free.

We don't really need a locking "gas cap" cover, you know. I mean, like, no one's going to be able to siphon electrons out, or pour in sugar to gum up the carburetor!

One mod made to the RAV4-EV was to disable the latch release and put a magnet on the cover instead.

Its latch release is electric rather than cable and seems like a waste of power.

See: http://www.evnut.com then RAV4-EV (left nav bar), then Mods (top tab), then Charger Port Door Magent Catch (from list)

A lot of people will be curious at first and want to look at things on the LEAF the first year or so. I would rather not have the general public, in a parking lot, have access to the charging plugs under the hatch door. Who knows, the black caps on the plug might become a little "trophy" in some neighborhoods like the metal Mercedes logo. Of course, I can't see anyone hanging it on a chain around their neck.

I like the locked hatch door.

I park in my garage, push button to open hatch, walk to charger, plug in charger, go in the house to enjoy my evening and the car takes care of itself when programmed. I can handle this.

It might be that the e-hatch is latched because of its location on the very front of the vehicle. If the wind flipped it open at 90 mph, it might rip right off --or at least have its hinges damaged. I know that the hoods on my current vehicles have a second, manual safety catch on them precisely to avoid such a mishap, should I accidentally hit the release lever in the cabin.

There is a small battery that keeps the odometer and seat position and radio stations etc etc...i will assume the charge hatch is also linked to this small battery for opening when larger battery is dead.

Gavin

yes, it only makes sense that all of the cars accessories (radio, gps, headlights, running lights, etc) run off the 12V battery, similar to how Toyota does it with the Prius. There is no doubt a DC-DC inverter that steps the high voltage battery pack down to 12V to keep the 12V accessories running, and keep the 12V battery charged.

mitch672 said:
yes, it only makes sense that all of the cars accessories (radio, gps, headlights, running lights, etc) run off the 12V battery, similar to how Toyota does it with the Prius. There is no doubt a DC-DC inverter that steps the high voltage battery pack down to 12V to keep the 12V accessories running, and keep the 12V battery charged.
That is also what the small solar panel on the spoiler does. It helps maintain a charge on the 12v battery so that you don't have to use (as much) power from the main pack running through a dc-dc converter to charge the 12v accessory battery.

My Xebra has a manual hatch. I prefer that, because otherwise I forget. I'm always forgetting to release the hatch on the stinker, and then I have to reach back in the car. On the stinker it makes sense, for the reasons mentioned above. But for the EV it's not needed. As for the problems related to its being on the front, it could be designed so the wind of driving pushes it closed rather than open.

Cars (and other stuff) often have electronic controls, just for the sake of gadgetry, where manual controls would be better. I liked the manual heating controls on my old Civic much better than the electronic touch controls on my Prius. Count me as one vote in favor of no electronic "filler" hatch for the Leaf.

Gavin said:
There is a small battery that keeps the odometer and seat position and radio stations etc etc...i will assume the charge hatch is also linked to this small battery for opening when larger battery is dead.

Actually, the odometer and seat position will be kept indefinitely without any power at all. (But with the seat, that's just because the car has manual seat adjustments.) :lol:

Back