Something not in the owner's manual

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aqn

Leaf Supporting Member
The LEAF has a "sunload sensor" at the front of the dash on the passenger side (Nissan LEAF Service Manual, page HAC-137). It senses, well, the sun, and is of one the inputs into the automatic climate control.

Regarding its operation (Nissan LEAF Service Manual, page HAC-15):
"When the sunload suddenly changes, for example when entering and leaving a tunnel, correction is performed
so that the recognized sunload of the A/C auto amp.
("amplifier") changes slowly."

aqn said:
The LEAF has a "sunload sensor" at the front of the dash on the passenger side (Nissan LEAF Service Manual, page HAC-137). It senses, well, the sun, and is of one the inputs into the automatic climate control.
Regarding its operation (Nissan LEAF Service Manual, page HAC-15):
"When the sunload suddenly changes, for example when entering and leaving a tunnel, correction is performed
so that the recognized sunload of the A/C auto amp.
("amplifier") changes slowly."

Interesting...maybe that's why it cools immediately after sitting in the sun for hours.

mogur said:
At least then it would serve an actual useful purpose instead of just being a marketing gimmick...

Marketing is a very useful thing.. it sells new cars to gimps that already have perfectly fine cars :)

Someone should put a very large solar cell decal on the roof of their Leaf, I bet that would start a lot of conversations with eco babes.

I was thinking this solar sensor had something to do with the "automatic headlights" on the SL model. Maybe it does that too????

Azrich said:
I was thinking this solar sensor had something to do with the "automatic headlights" on the SL model. Maybe it does that too????
According to the dash board's exploded view in the service manual, right next to the "sunload sensor" is an "optical sensor". I checked as far as I cared to, and it appears the optical sensor has something to do with the auto headlights (page EXL-67). My car, an SV, does not have auto headlights nor the optical sensor.

I don't remember if this is in the owner's manual or not but when the Li-ion battery is
charging the 12-volt battery the #3 blue indicator light on the dash will flash while the charging is taking place.

mogur said:
I don't remember if this is in the owner's manual or not but when the Li-ion battery is
charging the 12-volt battery the #3 blue indicator light on the dash will flash while the charging is taking place.
Yep, page CH-27. The same bulb also flashes when Climate Control Timer, Remote climate control, or the Li-Ion battery heater (if so equipped) are operating.

Yep, it is a photo diode that the automatic headlight system uses to sense light level.

aqn said:
According to the dash board's exploded view in the service manual, right next to the "sunload sensor" is an "optical sensor". I checked as far as I cared to, and it appears the optical sensor has something to do with the auto headlights (page EXL-67). My car, an SV, does not have auto headlights nor the optical sensor.

mogur said:

Only when the car is off. It doesn't flash when it is charging the aux battery while driving.

aqn said:
The LEAF has a "sunload sensor" at the front of the dash on the passenger side (Nissan LEAF Service Manual, page HAC-137).

Thank you, I am am converting another car using a wrecked leaf, I could not figure out what a 2 pin white connector was, I tracked it to connector M74. F1 M74 W/2 : Sunload sensor

Your info helped me find it.

One less thing to think about on the conversion. :p

Back