Any way to adapt J1772 to CHAdeMO?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nosuchthing

Has anyone in the business considered making a J1772-to-CHAdeMO adapter?

This way we could take advantage of much faster charging through CHAdeMO port and bypass that 3.3 on-board quagmire...

I'd buy one instantly...

It doesn't work like that. They didn't make the 2 charging ports differently just for fun so one can simply create an adapter to pick the port they like to plug in.

The output from the J1772 jack is either 120V or 240V AC, going to the car's 3.3KW built-in charger before going to the battery pack.

The output from the CHAdeMO jack is 400VDC, coming from an external charger and goes straight to the battery pack. They design it this way because it'd be too expensive and impractical to put a high capacity charger inside every car.

At the risk of belaboring the point, which Volusiano has made quite accurately, the key is that you must have a charger in the path between the house supply of electricity and the battery. The charger changes alternating current electricity to direct current and provides precisely modulated voltages as demanded by the battery monitor system. An EVSE is not a charger, whether you are talking about the box on the 120v charging cord or a wall-mounted unit like the AeroVironment or Blink. An EVSE is just a fancy automatic safety switch.

The J1772 convention is that the charger is inside the vehicle.
The CHAdeMO convention is that the charger is outside the vehicle.
Slow chargers are relatively small and cheap, but fast ones are big and expensive.
Even the wimpy 3.3kW charger in the LEAF needs a cooling system. Fast ones need a big cooling system.

Ray

Another way to look at it is that you'd have to build an entire charger to CHAdeMO standards, and then instead of plugging it into a 220 outlet, you'd adapt that end to connect to an EVSE via J1772. In the spirit of your suggestion, you might be able to build a 6.6 kW charger. But it would probably require a trailer to tow it around with you, and cost around 10,000 dollars. Not sure you'd buy that in a heartbeat.

A gas pump to L3 adapter would make more sense. Even at $5. But I'm sure there will be several pages on this topic :lol:

Volusiano said:
They design it this way because it'd be too expensive and impractical to put a high capacity charger inside every car.
Except they *do* put a high capacity charger inside every car, which is in effect what the inverter is when charging the battery using regen. Unfortunately we can't make use of this capability for connecting the car to more than 3.3kw AC, apparently because of some patent trolling by AC Propulsion. http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6258&p=141369&hilit=propulsion#p141369" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

fooljoe said:
Volusiano said:
They design it this way because it'd be too expensive and impractical to put a high capacity charger inside every car.
Except they *do* put a high capacity charger inside every car, which is in effect what the inverter is when charging the battery using regen. Unfortunately we can't make use of this capability for connecting the car to more than 3.3kw AC, apparently because of some patent trolling by AC Propulsion. http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6258&p=141369&hilit=propulsion#p141369" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hmmm.. then maybe what we need is a system of rollers you can drive your leaf up to and put it in ECO mode or mash the break a little. I wonder how much regen you could get in 20 minutes or so.

I hadn't heard that one, park on rollers and hold the brake.. That would work in lots of places, car washes etc... I wonder what the re-gen rate would be ??

adric22 said:
Hmmm.. then maybe what we need is a system of rollers you can drive your leaf up to and put it in ECO mode or mash the break a little. I wonder how much regen you could get in 20 minutes or so.
Take a look a the video about 2/3 the way down the first page of this thread: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=95615" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Although Nissan does not recommend towing to recharge (likely to due to traffic safety issues), there is no restriction on extended downhill runs in regen, so "level" roller-charging should be possible. 30kW for 20 minutes would be 10kWh, or about 30 miles at 3miles/kWh. (No account taken for regen inefficiencies.) Are "possible" and "practical" the same? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. ;)

EVDRIVER said:
A gas pump to L3 adapter would make more sense. Even at $5.

I would also pay $5 a gallon for a gas to ChadeMo conversion. That would solve the infrastructure problem. Have you seen one? How much do they cost?

palmermd said:
EVDRIVER said:

I would also pay $5 a gallon for a gas to ChadeMo conversion. That would solve the infrastructure problem. Have you seen one? How much do they cost?

$4.95 cyber Monday on Amazon prime. For an additional $300 you can get a set of powered wheel rollers to charge the leaf while you park. In the next 10 minutes is a deal on a roof-mount fan generator and 33-12V cigarette plug adapter to L3 pigtail for 400V charging!

EVDRIVER said:
palmermd said:
EVDRIVER said:

$4.95 cyber Monday on Amazon prime. For an additional $300 you can get a set of powered wheel rollers to charge the leaf while you park. In the next 10 minutes is a deal on a roof-mount fan generator and 33-12V cigarette plug adapter to L3 pigtail for 400V charging!

LMFAO! :lol:

In that case replacing 3.3 with 6.6 may require changes in cooling system as well as part of the replacement?

ILETRIC said:
In that case replacing 3.3 with 6.6 may require changes in cooling system as well as part of the replacement?

The cooling would not likely be an issue the wiring on both ends is.

So can I just buy the Chademo plug and cable and plug it in to the on board charger then? Does the on board charger have provision for fast charging already built in?

Sorry, but no. There are, IIRC, two different versions of the onboard charger (OBC): one with the QC hardware installed, and one without it. I don't remember if you can change just that sub-assembly, or if you need a whole different OBC.

EVDRIVER said:
A gas pump to L3 adapter would make more sense. Even at $5. But I'm sure there will be several pages on this topic :lol:

It's possible, just a gas engine running a 400v generator with electronics to make it work with ChaMeDo. After spending $100k on the project to make just one, I'm sure they would sell like hot cakes! :mrgreen:

Looks like a tractor, a PTO mounted generator and a 480V Chademo would cover it.

Something like this:
https://configure.deere.com/cbyo/#/en_us/configure/127877936
https://www.absolutegenerators.com/winco-tractor-driven-pto-generator-w85ptos-85-kw-3-phase-1000-rpm
https://www.electway.com/product/50kw-chademo-ccs-dc-fast-charger/

Might be a bit more than $100k, however.

Back