10k mile/ 1 year report

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turbo2ltr

1 day after having the car 1 year I hit 10000 miles. I can't believe I've had the car a whole year. Today I realized I've only washed it once. lol.

I've been charging to 100% every day.
I still have the "old" firmware.

No real problems to report. Though I have been noticing some minor stuff.

One or both of the front brake calipers make a noise the first time you apply them after you change direction (like backing into a driveway). Could be a pad moving around a little. It makes a "tick" sound, but louder. Anyone else have this?

As discussed elsewhere, my front tires are wearing on the outer edge. I probably should rotate them soon.

My steering wheel seems to make more noise than it used to. Just kind of a sliding, or swoosing noise when you turn it. I don't ever remember hearing it up until recently, but now I hear it all the time.

I'm also noticing a slight vibration at higher speeds... like 70+. It feels more like a motor or transaxle vibration (due to the frequency), not a wheel vibration, but I haven't investigated it.

Other than that, it's been a great year with the leaf. Now that I've gone solar, this next year should be even better.

Congrats...why do you charge it to 100% all the time if you've only gone 10K in a year? Couple comments :

1. Steering wheel making whooshing noise - can happen when very cold. Do you park it outside?

2. Brake "clicking" - my wife's car does this all the time, usually goes away after the first few brakes.

3. Vibration of the wheel - almost certainly the tires.

Because when I need to go far, I need it to be there. On average I don't drive far, but that's because I either drive 20 miles or I drive 70.

1: nope, and I'm in phoenix, so it's been pretty warm lately.
2: Mine doesn't go away per say, it just does it once, every time you change direction.
3: vibration is not in the steering wheel, it's in the chassis. I'll be honest, I'm nitpicking here. Most normal people wouldn't ever feel it. But I just know the car used to be butter smooth at any speed. it's a very high frequency "buzz", not a frequency that tires would generate... But I'm not ruling them out yet.

well i am glad it has worked out for you. i notice a sound on the brakes as well but have heard it a million times on the Prius as well.

i dont know if its regen that is doing it or the fact that the brakes get used less (i can frequently drive all the way to work without using brakes at all except when actually parking.

as for high speed sounds? dont do much freeway and never drive faster than 60 when i do and have not noticed much as far as weird sounds but i rarely (which basically means never) drive without some sort of music on

Guess I should have saw Phoenix. LOL! Does the steering wheel only make that noise under "stress"? I guess I'm wondering it it's a mechanical noise of the steering wheel turning itself, or something coming back up the steering column from the steering rack.

Brakes - change directions? As in forward/backward, or left/right?

Vibration - I'm still going with tires, especially since you said you have outside tire wear and not being rotated. Might even be out of alignment.

turbo2ltr said:
2: Mine doesn't go away per say, it just does it once, every time you change direction.

I noticed that "tick" too. I do not drive the car enough to be 100% sure is only when changing direction (forward/reverse). When I get to drive it again, I will keep an eye on it.

But I had another car that did that after the brakes were changed; it only went away at the next brake job.

2. Back out of garage and gently down to street, applying brakes in Reverse, then go forward perhaps 100 or 150 feet and I (fairly regularly) hear a single little "twang" like a coil spring popping past something.

garygid said:
2. Back out of garage and gently down to street, applying brakes in Reverse, then go forward perhaps 100 or 150 feet and I (fairly regularly) hear a single little "twang" like a coil spring popping past something.

I hear this sound (and have heard it since I got my Leaf) on most mornings when pulling out of my driveway.

I slowly pull out of the driveway, making a sharp left turn onto the street.

As I straighten the steering wheel I usally hear the "twang" somewhere over on the right hand (maybe rear) side of the car.

I've had my Leaf almost a year (just a few weeks shy) and my only complaint has been the rattle in the center console screen that so many on here have also complained about. Otherwise, the car has required no repairs or maintenance. (still need to get an appt. for the battery check)

kennyboy said:
garygid said:

I hear this sound (and have heard it since I got my Leaf) on most mornings when pulling out of my driveway.

As I straighten the steering wheel I usally hear the "twang" somewhere over on the right hand (maybe rear) side of the car.

I have the "twang" too when I start down my driveway in the morning. I'm on a hill so I have to put on the break. Must be part of of the braking or ABS.

Perhaps you are hearing the ABS self-test?

Ready2plugin said:
kennyboy said:
garygid said:

I have the "twang" too when I start down my driveway in the morning. I'm on a hill so I have to put on the break. Must be part of of the braking or ABS.

Back