100% Charging?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you have to charge to 100 percent frequently, I'd suggest either delaying the start of charge time so it finishes just before you leave or charge to 80 percent and push the timer
button off an hour or two before you leave.

The "end time" setting is a better way to minimize high-charge soak time. Set the charge to end just before your planned departure.

I know others here disagree, sometimes vehemently, but I'm taking the "don't worry, be happy" approach. I drive the car and plug it in when I get home. End of story. No fancy timers, no special precautions. So far I haven't lost any more bars that anyone else in my area with a similar age/distance car (2yr 26k)...

GeekEV said:
I know others here disagree, sometimes vehemently, but I'm taking the "don't worry, be happy" approach. I drive the car and plug it in when I get home. End of story. No fancy timers, no special precautions. So far I haven't lost any more bars that anyone else in my area with a similar age/distance car (2yr 26k)...
Going to do the same with the Tesla? Always range charge? :eek:

I believe the manual says not to store the LEAF at 100% charge for extended periods.
Otherwise it is the nature of Li-ion batteries to prefer more middle state to minimize degradation in storage.

This is different from automotive lead-acid battery that far prefers 100% charged during storage.

Not sure what specific lithium chemistry this was from, but there was a recent post on the TeslaMotorsClub forum with the image below.

Note that calendar life is best when stored basically empty and by far the worst when stored at 100 percent.

vNcx7m

Becky50 said:
Thanks for the responses. I have been and continue to be very happy with my LEAF and this forum.
Becky

To clarify, if you need to go to 100%, do not set a start timer it should be clear but do set an end timer for just before you need to leave.

Back