100 kW Charging

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ramisalah

For those who own Leaf's with 62 kWh batteries, can you let us know the best charging rate you got using a 100 kW charger and under what conditions. For me, the best rate I got was 48 kW/h and that was very short lived as the rate dropped to the 30's within a couple of minutes. That makes me wonder why even bother looking for 100 kW chargers when I get the same rates as a 50 kW charger and why does Nissan go to lengths to advertise the 100 kW chargers with EVgo?

Advertising and marketing that might have no relation to technical details.

Plus 100kW would be 250 Amps at 400 VDC--which battery pack can survive that?

Last edited:
Unfortunately, not all 100kW DC fast chargers operate the same. I have seen comments left on the Plugshare app by EV owners for 100 kW or larger charging stations (various brands) in my area that operate below their maximum rating. Look through the Plugshare app for charging stations in your area and try a different brand of station besides EVgo.

What was the state of charge (%) on your battery when you started your charging session? The charging rate tends to drop after the battery reaches 80%.

Also, note that Nissan advertises "up to" 100 kW charging rate for Leaf models with a 62 kWh battery.

I was referring to the EVgo chargers that Nissan partners with in terms of providing EVgo Energy Perks promotions. I got $250 EVgo Energy Perks when I purchased my Leaf as many of you probably did.
The SoC was below 70%.
According to the best case charging rate on page CH-8 of the user manual, that rate is 64 kW/hour (it can be calculated from 80% in 45 minutes).
So, the best charging rate is 64 kW/hour under the most optimum conditions. And since the Nissan Leaf battery warms up very quickly upon plugging it in (as we all know), the 64 kW/hour rate is a fleeting leprechaun that is extremely improbable for Leaf drivers to experience.
So, the best charging rate ends being in the 30's and 40's. Rates that are achievable with a 50 kW chargers.
So, the question is: why does Nissan go to lengths to advertise the 100 kW chargers with EVgo and give the impression that the Leaf can charge at 100 kW/hour rate (or a value reasonably close to 100)? This question is especially important given that the actual realistic achievable rate is half of the "up to" and is achievable with the lower 50 kW chargers?
In addition, if the Leaf is actually capable of charging at above 50 kW, why do the menus not include that rate listed? See attached.

Attachments

• 50 kW.jpg
    50 kW.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 3
For those who own Leaf's with 62 kWh batteries, can you let us know the best charging rate you got using a 100 kW charger and under what conditions. For me, the best rate I got was 48 kW/h and that was very short lived as the rate dropped to the 30's within a couple of minutes. That makes me wonder why even bother looking for 100 kW chargers when I get the same rates as a 50 kW charger and why does Nissan go to lengths to advertise the 100 kW chargers with EVgo?
https://mynissanleaf.com/threads/evgo-infrastructure-thread.31546/post-625977
Since that post I've charged at over 70kW 4 or 5 more times at that location.

my 2019 e+ has charged at 71-72 kW during the initial part of fast charging at 100 kW+ chargers

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2024-04-27 at 19.57.57.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-04-27 at 19.57.57.jpeg
    190.2 KB · Views: 0
my 2019 e+ has charged at 71-72 kW during the initial part of fast charging at 100 kW+ chargers
The 72 is just the multiplier of the current and voltage. The charging rate can be calculated from the 0.619 kwh in 1:00 minute, that calculates to 37 kW/hour (0.619 X60)

View attachment 3847
On a level battery at.evgo, I will.usually.see upper 70s below 30% SoC (dash). The above.was from another Leaf driver at a very special Chademo station.
What's special about this one EVgo location?
This picture has so much confusing info. It shows 1.5 hours to 100% from about 50%. That calculates to 20 kW/hour (31 kW in 1.5 hours). Then there is time remaining 4 hours. Lastly, what does the 99 indicate? I understand it's supposed to be the rate, but that does not make sense.

Here's how i interpret that screen:

5 minutes to 50%, 7 minutes to 75%, 1.5 hrs to 100% (it will slow down after 75%).

The connection would allow up to 4hr if necessary or desired to do balancing while at 100%, then it would time out and disconnect regardless.

This was just a snapshot in time of the expected targets during a charge and the values are not fixed but will adjust frequently as the car evaluates the thermal conditions, voltage, SOC, etc.

Last edited:
Here's how i interpret that screen:

5 minutes to 50%, 7 minutes to 75%, 1.5 hrs to 100% (it will slow down after 75%).

The connection would allow up to 4hr if necessary or desired to do balancing while at 100%, then it would time out and disconnect regardless.

This was just a snapshot in time of the expected targets during a charge and the values are not fixed but will adjust frequently as the car evaluates the thermal conditions, voltage, SOC, etc.
5 minutes to 50% (or 31 kWh) calculates to 372 kW/hour. That does not make sense either. I am still curious as to where this special charger is located :) and where this picture came from.

What is the address of the EVgo station(s) you used for charging?

I suspect that the EVgo station is rated for around 100 kW, but it may only offer CHAdeMO connection at a 50 kW rate (Max).
The 100 kW EVgo stations at 100 Universal Drive North in North Haven, CT
The 100 kW EVgo chargers in Rye New York at the Marriott at 631 Midland Ave
The 100 kW EVgo chargers at the parking at New Roc Plaza in New Rochelle
The 100 kW Electrify America chargers at the Cell Phone Lot West

As you indicated the rate drops very quickly to below 50 since plugging in the Leaf causes the battery to heat up dropping the charging rate.
It doesn't drop quickly. It begins to drop at 65-70%. I have a record of charging for 38 minutes from 72kW down to 62kW adding 2 temp bars.

If you are trying to state or claim that either EVgo or the Leaf cannot sustain charging over 50kW+ for an extended time you're incorrect. It can drop to 40kW depending on battery temperature and time of charge but it doesn't always do so. 40kW-45kW is the best I could do charging with the 50kW EVgo chargers before they enhanced them.

More than 80kW are not possible: 400V x 200A. The limit is the plug rated 200A. Most times I see 78kW.

If you remove "some resistors" in the 200A plug e+ can charge 102kW and faster on special Chademo chargers.

It doesn't drop quickly. It begins to drop at 65-70%. I have a record of charging for 38 minutes from 72kW down to 62kW adding 2 temp bars.

If you are trying to state or claim that either EVgo or the Leaf cannot sustain charging over 50kW+ for an extended time you're incorrect. It can drop to 40kW depending on battery temperature and time of charge but it doesn't always do so. 40kW-45kW is the best I could do charging with the 50kW EVgo chargers before they enhanced them.
The numbers speak for themselves. The best rate shown on page CH-8 is 66 kW/hour. That is calculated from 80% of 62 kWh (49.6 kWh) in 45 minutes (0.75 hours).
I'm not sure what adding 2 temp bars means since the temp indicator in the 2022 lead has no bars and no values.
It's a known fact that the Leaf battery heats up very quickly leading to a reduced charging rate. The Leaf is one of the few EV's without battery cooling. Battery heating leads to a slow down in charging rates making the 100 kW rate to be a pipe dream and the 66 to be a very elusive rate to achieve. Yes, this makes the 100 kW to 50 kW charging times barely discernible.
As nlspace stated: "Advertising and marketing that might have no relation to technical details."
Shame on Nissan and EVgo

The 100 kW EVgo stations at 100 Universal Drive North in North Haven, CT
The 100 kW EVgo chargers in Rye New York at the Marriott at 631 Midland Ave
The 100 kW EVgo chargers at the parking at New Roc Plaza in New Rochelle
The 100 kW Electrify America chargers at the Cell Phone Lot West
I see that these stations offer 100 kW CHAdeMO and 100+ kW CCS. However, I also see that many Plugshare Users -- with multiple EV types (all above 100kW DC Fast charging capability) -- have reported below 100 kW charging rates from these stations.

I see that these stations offer 100 kW CHAdeMO and 100+ kW CCS. However, I also see that many Plugshare Users -- with multiple EV types (all above 100kW DC Fast charging capability) -- have reported below 100 kW charging rates from these stations.
The numbers and the feedback are in agreement. The Nissan Leaf is unable to charge at anywhere near 100 kW in any real world situation.

Is everyone reading the max shown on page CH-8 of the manual (Max 66 kW/hour)? Is everyone following the fact that 100 kW EVgo Chademo chargers cannot output more than 76 kW When a Nissan Leaf is plugged in? Nissan and EVgo put the 100 kW sign on the door, and the consumer is surprised once using the product that the 100 kW is not achievable. That's not right.
1714260659524.png
1714260848956.png

Back