107 degrees today!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm starting to think that heat anxiety is going to be a much larger emotional problem for Leaf owners than range anxiety. Yikes.

Cheezmo said:
I'm starting to think that heat anxiety is going to be a much larger emotional problem for Leaf owners than range anxiety. Yikes.
I wonder if GM will run a new series of commercials highlighting heat anxiety. ;)

ya, since the beginning of Summer, we have only approached our average daily high of 76º twice. i consider it a win if we make 70º and as far as today. i had to review 4 different weather reports to find one that predicted a high of 70 but i found one!

No heat anxiety for me--I bought the Leaf to drive and I intend to keep using it as my primary in town vehicle. It has the best air conditioning of any car I have driven (even though it is not quite as good as it was before the software upgrade). When I get back to the office and exchange vehicles, I will likely find the battery at 7 bars from sitting in the shade under covered parking on concrete since the high today at the airport is predicted to be 112 F and my office is typically higher. I am guessing I will see 8 bars on the way home since it spent a lot of time at 8 bars last summer (dropping to 7 at night).

Gerry

GerryAZ said:
No heat anxiety for me--I bought the Leaf to drive and I intend to keep using it as my primary in town vehicle. It has the best air conditioning of any car I have driven (even though it is not quite as good as it was before the software upgrade). When I get back to the office and exchange vehicles, I will likely find the battery at 7 bars from sitting in the shade under covered parking on concrete since the high today at the airport is predicted to be 112 F and my office is typically higher. I am guessing I will see 8 bars on the way home since it spent a lot of time at 8 bars last summer (dropping to 7 at night).

Gerry

wow!! great recommendation especially from a Phoenician!! if anyone would know, it be u!

GerryAZ, I understand that you have all capacity bars as well your range did not change, is that correct, how long is your drive? I was told to not use it if temp higher than 120F.

100 degrees in birmingham today. Drove her about 50 miles and parked in the shade. Battery meter stayed at 6 bars the whole day. Gonna be around 105 over the weekend.... So darn hot.

EdmondLeaf said:
GerryAZ, I understand that you have all capacity bars as well your range did not change, is that correct, how long is your drive? I was told to not use it if temp higher than 120F.

As of tonight I still have all 12 capacity bars at 11,665 miles. My round trip commute is 52 miles and I usually add 5 to 15 miles with errands. The commute part is about 20 miles of freeway and the rest surface streets each way. The errands are mostly surface streets. It was a little cooler this evening than I expected so the temperature was at 7 bars when I turned it on and still at 7 bars when I got home. Charging energy from shutdown to 100% is not much different now than when my Leaf was new, but I don't think I have ever had quite as much capacity as others have reported. I do not yet have an SOC meter, but am in the process of purchasing a kt from Gary. I have also been trying to measure temperatures in the vicinity of the battery pack under various conditions to see if I can tell how effective air flow under the car is at cooling the pack.

Predicted temperatures for Phoenix:
Saturday high 113, low 90 F
Sunday high 112, low 91 F

I will be surprised if I don't reach 8 bars on the temperature gauge this weekend.

Gerry

GerryAZ said:
As of tonight I still have all 12 capacity bars at 11,665 miles. Gerry

Thank you very much for response, your example is very intriguing. Wonder if as much as possible you protecting your car from direct sun. With your commute I believe you charging mostly to 100% therefore you will not know if your car charge to 9 or 10 bars while set to 80% SOC. Will be so nice to see your GID data. We are not far off from your day temps but is not cooling much anymore this morning at 1 am temp was still 89F. My car still have full capacity, but so far never driven when temp 85 or higher and is getting AC treatment in garage. Driving cool off battery some, but not much, while charging at L2 increase battery temp by 1F for very 1 kwH from the wall but that of course will vary with temp gradient.

GerryAZ said:
EdmondLeaf said:

As of tonight I still have all 12 capacity bars at 11,665 miles. My round trip commute is 52 miles and I usually add 5 to 15 miles with errands. The commute part is about 20 miles of freeway and the rest surface streets each way. The errands are mostly surface streets. It was a little cooler this evening than I expected so the temperature was at 7 bars when I turned it on and still at 7 bars when I got home. Charging energy from shutdown to 100% is not much different now than when my Leaf was new, but I don't think I have ever had quite as much capacity as others have reported. I do not yet have an SOC meter, but am in the process of purchasing a kt from Gary. I have also been trying to measure temperatures in the vicinity of the battery pack under various conditions to see if I can tell how effective air flow under the car is at cooling the pack.

Predicted temperatures for Phoenix:
Saturday high 113, low 90 F
Sunday high 112, low 91 F

I will be surprised if I don't reach 8 bars on the temperature gauge this weekend.

Gerry

Gerry without a meter and only using the GOM, you "should" think that and u would be wrong. the car does a great job of adding to range anxiety!

good example; i did the 100 mile challenge (free t-shirt!! how could i resist?) and once did like 104 miles thinking i had very little left. i post my results and got chided that i could have gone at least to 115-116. i felt that i had been pushing my luck for at least 2-3 miles.

then i got the GID meter. i did another test except this time it was winter time which provides less access to the pack (only get about 19 Kwh instead of 21) and colder temps inhibit efficient driving and did 100.1 miles.

without the meter, there is no way i would have gone over 95 miles UNDER any circumstances. i went to "_ _ _" at like 91 miles or so. since it read "4" before it did that, i could not fathom doubling that mileage but with the GID meter and knowing i could run it down to 4-5 safely made all the difference in the world.

i am setting up for a summer test to get 110 (waiting for summer weather!! right now its 58º and raining)

DaveinOlyWA said:
... without a meter and only using the GOM, you "should" think that and u would be wrong. the car does a great job of adding to range anxiety!...

without the meter, there is no way i would have gone over 95 miles UNDER any circumstances. i went to "_ _ _" at like 91 miles or so. since it read "4" before it did that, i could not fathom doubling that mileage but with the GID meter and knowing i could run it down to 4-5 safely made all the difference in the world.

i am setting up for a summer test to get 110 (waiting for summer weather!! right now its 58º and raining)

Well, it's true you can't reliably measure beyond the bar display and battery warnings, with only "stock" LEAF instrumentation.

But I've never had the desire to use the " bottom" of my battery anyway.

And you can rack up plenty of miles on a single charge without a SOC/gid meter, just by using the "top" 17 to 18 kWh. I've done almost 113 miles, taking the charge down to just past the VLBW, and that included over 6,000 ft, of both ascent and descent.

This did require both low average driving speeds, and also interpreting the GOM, which read (IIRC) 7 miles, when I was about 35 miles, and about 2,200 ft of net descent, before the VLBW.

Neither action caused me any undue anxiety.

Back