2011 Battery Capacity Lawsuit Settlement Questions!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kawh

This settlement says that a battery will be replaced if below nine bars within 5 years... so super time-sensitive for me. I've got less than a month on this.

Checking my capacity, it starts below 9 when i start up, but goes to a full 12 after I've been driving a while. makes no sense. thinking this means it's broken?? So does Nissan have another way to check the capacity??

I do know that my car range was reliably above 100 miles for the first year, and a little less the next few... and dropped hugely this year. now i get about 72 miles of range. Really causing me some serious range anxiety. So i truly assume the capacity has seriously dropped...

Any advice on this??
I just want Nissan to compute whether or not I'm eligible for a battery under the Settlement on facts... not a broken or faulty gauge.

kawh said:
Checking my capacity, it starts below 9 when i start up, but goes to a full 12 after I've been driving a while. makes no sense. thinking this means it's broken?? So does Nissan have another way to check the capacity??

I do know that my car range was reliably above 100 miles for the first year, and a little less the next few... and dropped hugely this year. now i get about 72 miles of range. Really causing me some serious range anxiety. So i truly assume the capacity has seriously dropped...
You sure you're reading the right gauge and reading it right? http://www.electricvehiclewiki.com/File:Scott_3_bars_s.jpg shows a 3 bar loser.

As for your "range", you talking about the crap guess-o-meter? That's not range.

Perhaps your 12 volt is bad (which is almost certainly the case if you're still on your original) causing wonkiness?

If you're really that concerned, get Leaf Spy and a compatible OBD2 dongle and see what your AHr, SOH and Hx values are. If you can reliably repro having it at below 9 capacity bars upon power up in READY mode, then take it to your dealer (tow if necessary if you need to avoid crossing 60K miles) and leave it overnight. They should then see it at fewer than 9 bars.

The useless battery report when they hook up their laptop (Consult III+?) should also have capacity bars on it.

Can you update your location info via your user name in the upper right > User Control Panel > Profile tab? That way, we don't need to ask in future posts/threads or do sleuthing to deduce it.

How many miles does your (2011?) Leaf have on it?

kawh said:
location is in sebastopol, california. the car has 34,000 miles on it.
Can you update your location info via your user name in the upper right > User Control Panel > Profile tab? That way, we don't need to ask in future posts/threads or do sleuthing to deduce it.

Can you take pictures of when you claim it's below 9 capacity bars and when it's 12 or whatever?

I don't know your climate well at all, but from https://weather.com/weather/monthly/l/95472:4:US vs. say https://weather.com/weather/monthly/l/USCA0993, I don't find it incredibly likely that with 5 years (and that low mileage) you'll have lost 4+ capacity bars. Maybe it's possible...

What voltage does your 12 volt battery read after you've left it overnight and haven't turned the car on (haven't put it into READY mode)? Again, if it's the original 12 volt, it's probably bad by now.

Back