2012 GOM (Guess Oh Meter) seems pretty accurate.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NuclearLeaf

Joined the forum about 6 months prior to getting my car, and I read a lot about the GOM being grossly inaccurate. I've had my car just over 2 weeks, put about 500 miles on it. I have experimented with driving the car in "D" both aggressively, and economically. Driven the car in "ECO" both aggressively and economically. Driven with the heat on, heat off. And no matter how I'm driving the car, the GOM and the miles/kilowatt are pretty darn close to matching. I watch for the fuel bars to change, and then reverse calculate to check the accuracy of the GOM, and each time I find it to be pretty darn close (within 5 miles). So is the GOM in the 2012 models more accurate?

You may expect to be asked a lot of questions. What it boils down to, is that there is going to be some terrain and environment that allows the GOM to match real experience. But that won't hold true for most of us. You should tell us what your miles per kW-hour gauge says and how much that varies. Around 5 MPK I'd expect you really could go 100 miles like it tells you.

It would seem to be a very good thing for general Leaf sales/satisfaction if the "GOM" was accurate. That is to say it seem general users ("masses") have certain expectations and likely do not want to think about kWh used/remaining or charts with speed/temp on them.

Hope Nissan continues to refine it and make it as accurate as it can be.

I would use your NAV and set it to your destination ... then watch as they both count down.

No real big hills here, just some small rolling hills. My miles/kilowatt has ranged from 3.8 to 4.8. I take that number multiply it by 21 (usable kWh ), subtract the number of miles that I have already traveled, and that is my remaining range. Usually very close to what the GOM reads, and also compare that to the number of battery bars left, and it all seems very close. I just wondered if the other 2012 owners were getting similar results?

NuclearLeaf said:
I just wondered if the other 2012 owners were getting similar results?
GOM varies a lot if you do a lot of city driving & free way driving in one trip - along with altitude variations.

Essentially Leaf projects forward using how you have been driving in the past (few miles). As long as the past few miles is similar to the whole trip - GOM will look quite accurate.

Back