2012 Nissan Leaf Traction Light Blinking ABS & Brake

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leaf786

Hello everyone, I recently purchased a 2012 Nissan Leaf with 62k miles on it. The previous owner had changed the tie rod end on the right side and now the car is automatically braking the right wheel and the traction light keeps on going off. I read online this might be an alignment issue, so alignment has been done just a month ago. The tires are brand new however I do see that they have quite a bit of wheel weights on them. I'm not sure what to do at this point. The traction light blink and car brakes the right wheel and after not stopping the car lights up all the lights, (abs, brake, traction). Any help would be greatly appreciated. The wheel sensor I suspected but if it was bad then the lights would come on as I start the car, however it comes on only after going 30 mph or over.

Look for loose connections or broken wires associated with the wheel speed sensors. The ABS and stability control systems are probably being activated when braking because wheel speed signals are not all showing the same speed. Leaf Spy (with suitable OBDII adapter) will show diagnostic trouble codes which may help troubleshoot the problem(s).

Also, check to make sure all tires are the same size and approximately the same pressure. Differences in effective tire circumference can cause the symptoms you are seeing.

Thank you for your reply. I will do that. Also one question, I tried using my $30 dollar amazon scan tool but it just doesn't connect. The OBD2 port is active and has power but I'm wondering since this is an EV if you need a special scan tool like you mentioned. Thanks again for all your help.

leaf786 said:
Thank you for your reply. I will do that. Also one question, I tried using my $30 dollar amazon scan tool but it just doesn't connect. The OBD2 port is active and has power but I'm wondering since this is an EV if you need a special scan tool like you mentioned. Thanks again for all your help.
Yes, you need a special scan tool. Since it is an EV (no internal combustion engine), the Government requirements (USA, Canada, and EU) for standard OBDII codes/interfaces do not apply. Read the topics in this forum under Accessories/CAN Bus for more information. You can get suitable wireless adapters for either Android or iOS phones/tablets. Leaf Spy Pro and a suitable adapter is well worth the small cost.

Back