2012 SL or 2013 S + charge

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Staque

In Albany, NY. Hello everyone. Lurker, thinking of buying, checked the FAQ, blah blah...

Local Dealer wants $22,850 for a used (1,000 mile certified) 2012 SL. It was a dealer rental that they're now selling.

I'm looking at a 2013 S + charge as an alternative. (MSRP $28,800+1300+850-7500 = $23,450.

The biggest pro I see of buying new is having a battery that's not a year old with unknown treatment, and availability of the 6.6KW charge package. Biggest pro of the 2012 is that it is SL, however the most meaningful SL difference is the navigation system?? (The S comes without the rear camera, but adding the charge package adds that, too.)

Given that there's probably some wiggle room on the 2013's price (I hope?) I'm wondering how meaningful you believe the other 2012-2013 changes are. Hybrid heater? B-Mode regen? Alloy wheels? Actually, lack of cruise control might be a drag.

What are the thoughts of the experts? Are there any killer SL features I would be kicking myself for if I went with the 2013 S? Or is battery age really an issue? I've tried to negotiate the 2012 down, but they won't budge. I think it's going to sit in their showroom forever, but maybe I'm wrong about that and they will eventually sell it. Maybe to someone that can't take advantage of the tax credit.

Thanks, everyone!

How long is your daily commute ?

In Albany NY you are going to be using the heater a fair number of days. For that reason I would look at upgrading to the SV with heat pump instead of the S model. I can tell you from experience the old style heater is an energy pig.

In Albany I'd go for the 2013 with the better heater.

I think I drive pretty well, but down in TN a full charge on my 2012 SL only gets me about 50 miles when it's below 30°. Now on those days I do use the heater. When it's above that I can cycle heater and be happy with the seat & steering wheel heat & get much better range. But I've just bought an expensive new car & I'm not going to drive it like I used to drive my 1970 VW Bus when I do have the option of not freezing :D

Philip

Thank you. I'm sorry I forgot about the commute figure. *headsmack*

I am 18 miles each way, so a total 36 mile daily commute. 50 if I take a detour for lunch. (No lunch places close to work.)

Edit: Also, I will be launching from a heated garage, if that helps.

I would opt for the 2013 SV also unless you can get the 2012 down by about $4,000. I paid 27,900 for a brand new 2012 SL so $20,400 after tax credit. The heater does suck the power when it's cold on top of the range lost in the battery because of the cold.

MatimalND said:
I would opt for the 2013 SV also unless you can get the 2012 down by about $4,000. I paid 27,900 for a brand new 2012 SL so $20,400 after tax credit. The heater does suck the power when it's cold on top of the range lost in the battery because of the cold.
Wow, $4000? I asked for $21,500 and they gave me the whole "we gotta run a business" routine. At that point, I figured it would be cheaper to buy new anyway.

That is a good price for a 2012 SL if it was NEW. Not an used one where there is no $7,500 tax credit.

I'd not waste time with the 2012 unless you could get it for $15K

Go for the 2013 SV. If not found near you - negotiate out of state.

My 0.02 cents.

philipscoggins said:
In Albany I'd go for the 2013 with the better heater.

I think I drive pretty well, but down in TN a full charge on my 2012 SL only gets me about 50 miles when it's below 30°. Now on those days I do use the heater. When it's above that I can cycle heater and be happy with the seat & steering wheel heat & get much better range. But I've just bought an expensive new car & I'm not going to drive it like I used to drive my 1970 VW Bus when I do have the option of not freezing :D

Philip
+1, my same experience.
I think 90% of the US really needs the heat pump heater, unless they are only using the vehicle for 25 miles a day or less. And even those with short commutes or living in southern CA or in south FL will find the slowness of the non heat pump heater frustrating.
The price they want for the 2012 is ridiculous.
One person bought a 2012 from Carmax Nissan for only $15,100.
It would be very difficult to sell my 2011 LEAF SL with 13,000 miles on it for much more than $16,500.

Okay, in the past couple hours I have ratcheted up my Internet price quote carpet-bombing. So far the best price for a SV is $30,450 at a dealer 140 miles away in NH. Not to turn this into a "how much should I pay" thread, but it looks like the "which one should I buy" thread is long gone already...

Fontana is starting to discount the 2013 cars, check it out. 2013 SV for 23,591.

http://www.fontananissan.com/vehicle/2013-Nissan-Leaf-Fontana-1013971.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KJD said:
Fontana is starting to discount the 2013 cars, check it out. 2013 SV for 23,591.

http://www.fontananissan.com/vehicle/2013-Nissan-Leaf-Fontana-990794.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I will recharge 35 times before I get that home.

Edit: It also says lease only, so that's not a purchase price.

Staque said:
KJD said:

http://www.fontananissan.com/vehicle/2013-Nissan-Leaf-Fontana-990794.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I will recharge 35 times before I get that home.

:lol:
Yes you need to ask about shipping. I priced all the local dealers first, then I bought from Fontana. After paying the shipping charges it was still 2k less than buying local.

Well, 112 miles away from you is this 2012 SL with 2518 miles, and I can tell you the complete battery history. (check the vin, check my sig...).

Never quick charged, nightly charge to 80%, 100% twice a month and never ever got down to low battery warning.

They are asking 24,995, but they will make a (small) profit at $21K. Good luck!

I think I've been convinced to go with the 2013 SV. :) Just have to figure out where I can buy one without paying too much.

KJD said:

http://www.fontananissan.com/vehicle/2013-Nissan-Leaf-Fontana-1013971.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Unless I'm reading it wrong, that price is LEASE ONLY. Not sure if the OP wants to buy or lease, but I'm assuming you WON'T get that price on a buy (but you'll still get the $7500 fed credit--if you pay taxes).

Right. A lot of dealers are advertising the price with the federal tax credit and saying it's a "lease incentive."

Anyway, I bought a new SV this morning. Thanks to everyone for all the advice.

Back