2013/2014 Nissan Leaf Lease Information

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hopeful said:
I'm looking to lease a 2013 Leaf and this forum has been incredibly helpful.
Downey Nissan in CA - they're saying it's a special Labor Day sale that will go away after this weekend...

So it's in California. For a Leaf SV, they are saying best they can do is $319/month for a 24 month lease with $2500 down.

A friend got a much better deal on the same car at the same dealership in March which is why I went there - $290/month for 24 month lease, nothing down, 10 rental days included for a gas car when needed - and they found the deal but are saying they can't match it because: that was a March Madness sale, in May there was a price change at Nissan, Nissan no longer gives rental days, and the appreciation rate has changed. I know some of this is true

What do people think of the $319 / $2500 / 24 months deal?
Is the $319/month before or after tax?

I have no idea what the money factors and residuals are now. I leased at the end of July '13 and they had already gotten much worse vs. the deals that ran until early July. For when I leased, I believe the residuals and MF were good until the 1st few days of August.

I had VPP for a 24 month 12K mile/year lease on a '13 SV w/QC + LED and premium packages. Mine was $0 down + 23 payments of ~$314, including tax, title, fees, etc. So, if MF and residuals were unchanged, your deal is not very good.

Hi All,

I've been reading this forum regularly over the last few weeks as I went from considering an EV, to finalizing on the Leaf, to researching what a good deal looks like.

One area where there seems to be much less information available is the cost of pre-paying for miles on a lease.

From what I seen, the cost to pay more miles once you've exceeded the amount your pre-purchased in $.15/miles which can be expensive depending on how much you drive. I'll drive 17,000 miles in a year and I figure I should go with 18k miles to be safe.

Most of what I've seen quoted are for 12k miles or 15k miles. If I am looking to enter a lease with 18k miles pre-paid, what should I reasonably expect to pay per mile? Or, does anyone have a sense for how much my monthly cost would go up when increasing it 3k miles from say 15k to 18k?

This forum has been super helpful. I have a few options in front of me and hope to make a purchase tomorrow! I'd like to make sure I have all the information I need to evaluate what is put in front of me.

^^^
Can you update your location info via User Control Panel (near top) > Profile (left side)? That way, we don't need to ask in future posts/threads or do sleuthing to deduce it.

What are your daily driving needs in terms of miles? How much city vs. highway? Will you have the ability to charge at your work/destinations?

If you turn out to have too long a commute or are in a location where the Leaf would be unsuitable, it'd be better to know now.

Yeah 17k year averages out to almost 47 miles per day for every day of the year. If this will be just for commuting, that's 70 miles a day 5 days a week and at the very edge of the Leaf's range. Someone who commutes this far would likely need at minimum 120 volt charging while at work, especially in winter and/or when the car gets older and has lost battery capacity.

As far as pre-paying for extra mileage, I recall 10 cents/mile being mentioned on the Nissan or NMAC websites but I can no longer find it.

cwerdna said:
^^^
Can you update your location info via User Control Panel (near top) > Profile (left side)? That way, we don't need to ask in future posts/threads or do sleuthing to deduce it.

What are your daily driving needs in terms of miles? How much city vs. highway? Will you have the ability to charge at your work/destinations?

If you turn out to have too long a commute or are in a location where the Leaf would be unsuitable, it'd be better to know now.

Thanks for your concern. I've done a good deal of research on this and it won't be a problem for me. There are L2 chargers at work and more being installed. As a result, 70 miles per day won't be a problem (especially with QC). I will have an L2 installed at home.

There is one CHAdeMO on my way to work and back. There is one within walking distance from my office. There are 2 more within 5-10 min of my office. I think I'm covered.

My question was less about the feasibility of the Leaf given my commute but about getting the best deal on the lease, e.g., how much does it cost to pre-pay for miles. I've heard .10/mile but I've also seen a few instances where it was less than that.

sittingbythedock said:
Hi All,

I've been reading this forum regularly over the last few weeks as I went from considering an EV, to finalizing on the Leaf, to researching what a good deal looks like.

One area where there seems to be much less information available is the cost of pre-paying for miles on a lease.

From what I seen, the cost to pay more miles once you've exceeded the amount your pre-purchased in $.15/miles which can be expensive depending on how much you drive. I'll drive 17,000 miles in a year and I figure I should go with 18k miles to be safe.

Most of what I've seen quoted are for 12k miles or 15k miles. If I am looking to enter a lease with 18k miles pre-paid, what should I reasonably expect to pay per mile? Or, does anyone have a sense for how much my monthly cost would go up when increasing it 3k miles from say 15k to 18k?

This forum has been super helpful. I have a few options in front of me and hope to make a purchase tomorrow! I'd like to make sure I have all the information I need to evaluate what is put in front of me.

seen various quotes for 12k and 15 k and they dont vary by the same amount but its in the range of $10-15 a month which is about 4-6 cents a mile. so definitely cheaper to get the longer lease if you are sure you will use it. definitely cheaper than paying the over mileage penalty. another thing to consider is that a few have reported getting mileage penalties waived when leasing another LEAF. of course, that cost may have simply been buried in the cost of the new lease...

FYI; dont know your location but two chargers at work seems inadequate unless your company is small and your parking lot is protected from the general public.

DaveinOlyWA said:
sittingbythedock said:
Hi All,

seen various quotes for 12k and 15 k and they dont vary by the same amount but its in the range of $10-15 a month which is about 4-6 cents a mile. so definitely cheaper to get the longer lease if you are sure you will use it. definitely cheaper than paying the over mileage penalty. another thing to consider is that a few have reported getting mileage penalties waived when leasing another LEAF. of course, that cost may have simply been buried in the cost of the new lease...

FYI; dont know your location but two chargers at work seems inadequate unless your company is small and your parking lot is protected from the general public.

Thanks. That's helpful.

Re: availability of charges.

There are many L2 chargers at work. I don't know how many. Lots of them. On my team we have Tesla owners, Volt owners, Leaf owners, etc. There are maybe a 8-10 Teslas at work, another 12+ leafs, maybe 6-10 Volts, etc. There is an email alias so during the day people can move their cars once they've charged so others can use the charging stations. If I had to guess there are likely 15-20 charging stations at work and they will be installing more.

In ADDITION to what is at my company's parking facilities, there is a DC quick charge station within walking distance from my office, 2-4 more within 5-10 min, another one on my route to/from work. This doesn't include the other L2 stations at other companies in neighboring office parks. I actually don't remember the last time I've been in a parking garage in the bay area and not seen an L2 charging station. They are at Walgreens, CVS, etc. They are literally everywhere. Then of course there is my neighborhood. You literally can't drive down a street without seeing these eco-cars everywhere, e.g., in fact I periodically lust after my neighbor's white Tesla across the street.

The constant visbility of the EV vehicles and charging stations is what finally caused me to give the idea of an EV consideration. After researching it, talking to co-workers, neighbors, etc., I came to the conclusion that an EV would work for me.

I'm just trying to make the numbers work since they are quite expensive. If I get the right deal so that the savings on gas nets out the added cost then I'm home free (no more ICE for me). Adding bonus for not furthering the pollution of the planet my children will inherit once I'm gone.

sittingbythedock said:
Thanks for your concern. I've done a good deal of research on this and it won't be a problem for me. There are L2 chargers at work and more being installed. As a result, 70 miles per day won't be a problem (especially with QC). I will have an L2 installed at home.

There is one CHAdeMO on my way to work and back. There is one within walking distance from my office. There are 2 more within 5-10 min of my office. I think I'm covered.

My question was less about the feasibility of the Leaf given my commute but about getting the best deal on the lease, e.g., how much does it cost to pre-pay for miles. I've heard .10/mile but I've also seen a few instances where it was less than that.
Ok... well, keep in mind that most CHAdeMO stations (esp. the Blink ones) are no longer free. I believe Blink (aka Ecotality) switched to charging $5/session, which really sucks as they should be metered by kwh or time. The Blink QCs were also notoriously unreliable. And, the future of Ecotality, the company is VERY murky right now.

As for feasibility for your commute, ok. Depending on your driving speeds, it seems you will need to add least charge for at least an hour at work at L2 to make it comfortably home.

I just wanted to make sure you went it in realistic expectations. Some people have received bad info or have the wrong idea about Leaf's range (see links at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=13264" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). We've seen some folks around here where the Leaf is totally unsuitable for their commute or plans (e.g. commute too far, commute dicey in winter due to heater power consumption, wanting to buy but living in hot climate like Phoenix, etc.)

Some of the other stations you mention at other office parks, Walgreens, etc. may have restricted access or be uneconomical to use on a regular basis. And, you might not want to be having to wait around. You can get an idea of restrictions and pricing via http://www.plugshare.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. The ones at my work are restricted to employees only. One needs to have a Chargepoint card that's a member of a group that someone at my work needs to approve.

I hear Google's Chargepoint EVSEs are also normally restricted to employees only.

Just completed a deal on Leaf SV + LED/Quick Charge on Saturday. Many thanks to the contributors of this forum. I've followed it off and on for several months. It was disappointing to see some of the super lease deals go away with the changes in money factor and residual, but I decided to still pursue it a couple of weeks ago.

I only worked with 2 dealers. I qualify for VPP and learned that there can still be substantial differences in VPP pricing. Back in April, I started reading the forum and obtained a VPP code which resulted in a dealer contacting me and providing a few quotes. These quotes seemed much higher than I was seeing here, but I didn't have time to pursue it back then. Based on a friend's recommendation, I contacted Ray at Magic Nissan in August. Ray provided a much more competitive quote, but acknowledged the lease deals were not as good as they had been earlier. I contacted the original dealer, and to their credit they would still honor the earlier quote, but it was quite high and they were unable to match my quote from Magic. Magic didn't have the colors I wanted, but Ray was willing to negotiate a better deal if I took a vehicle from his stock and completed the sale by the end of the month.

Ray kept the deal simple and straight-forward by just focusing on down payment and monthly payment. There were no surprises or additional fees when I closed the deal from what we had agreed to. I contacted a few other dealers by e-mailing the internet managers from the website before completing the deal I had at Magic Nissan, but curiously even after several days, I have received no response from the other dealers. My deal is certainly not as attractive as the deal devilish scored, but I'm satisfied with it. And the car is really a lot of fun to drive. I'm jealous of my wife and daughter who will be the primary drivers.

State : Washington
Sales tax % : none for EVs
Leaf Trim, options : Silver SV + LED/Quick Charge, floor mats, splash guards, Recycling Package
MSRP : $34,840
Invoice :
Negotiated Price :
Taxes, Title, Registration : $202.25
Any other fees (doc, administrative, marketing etc) :
Money Factor : 0.00178
Downpayment : $370
Monthly payment : $219.19

Total cost of lease which includes VPP pricing:

$370 down + $219.19/month + 395 disposition fee = $5806.37

The difference between 12K to 15K was $10 a month. I assume 18K would be along the lines of $10-15 over $15K.

Here is the deal. If yor commute is purely highway, you really need to figure out how fast you drive. I drive between 70-80 (yeah no cruise control sucks). I usually get between 2.5-3 miles/kwh. At 80%, that really leaves me with about 40-50 miles. You can charge to 100% everyday, but is that how you want to treat your battery? I guess it is okay given this car is leased.

sittingbythedock said:
Hi All,

cwerdna said:
sittingbythedock said:

Ok... well, keep in mind that most CHAdeMO stations (esp. the Blink ones) are no longer free. I believe Blink (aka Ecotality) switched to charging $5/session, which really sucks as they should be metered by kwh or time. The Blink QCs were also notoriously unreliable. And, the future of Ecotality, the company is VERY murky right now.

As for feasibility for your commute, ok. Depending on your driving speeds, it seems you will need to add least charge for at least an hour at work at L2 to make it comfortably home.

I just wanted to make sure you went it in realistic expectations. Some people have received bad info or have the wrong idea about Leaf's range (see links at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=13264" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). We've seen some folks around here where the Leaf is totally unsuitable for their commute or plans (e.g. commute too far, commute dicey in winter due to heater power consumption, wanting to buy but living in hot climate like Phoenix, etc.)

Some of the other stations you mention at other office parks, Walgreens, etc. may have restricted access or be uneconomical to use on a regular basis. And, you might not want to be having to wait around. You can get an idea of restrictions and pricing via http://www.plugshare.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. The ones at my work are restricted to employees only. One needs to have a Chargepoint card that's a member of a group that someone at my work needs to approve.

I hear Google's Chargepoint EVSEs are also normally restricted to employees only.

ok, Bay Area; you are golden! Dont know where i got that "you only have 2 chargers at work" thing... :? As far as charging, you wont need much. a few hours on an L2 blink would do the trick. get a membership (its $30...if they ever get around to charging that. I have been Blink plus member going on 2 years now and have yet to pay anything for it. they charge me the $30 then credit it back.) but at a buck an hour, its a great deal and much cheaper than gas

Greetings to the Leaf crew around here!

I was at a Nissan dealer in San Francisco Bay Area today and got offered a deal verbally that is a bit hard to believe, given the other deals I see mentioned here.
It's a 24 month lease at $89 / mo. The upfront cost is $ 2500. Reposession fee is $395 I think.
Don't know about miles limit.

I also just saw the same deal listed at another local dealer: http://www.santacruznissan.com/Special/new/2013-Nissan-LEAF-4dr_HB_S-2047433813-Lease_Special:_$89_mo/_24_mos-Santa_Cruz-CA/18930550" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; but the page. This came up in a Google search for 89/month and it was there 10 minutes ago but now when I checked the site seems down... (Updated: the site came back in the 10 minutes since I posted, so nothing to worry about)

Not sure what to make of this. First, is this real? Does it make sense? Second, is this a good deal?
I do realize that the deal makes me ineligible for CA tax credit, since it's only two year deal.

This is straight off the street, no VPP.

Appreciate any advice.

^^^
It makes some sense but "tax, title, license, bank and dealer fees" will add a substantial amount and either make the down payment or monthly payment higher, depending on how you want it. As other have pointed out, it's best to keep the down payment as low as possible, possibly 0, in the event the car gets totaled.

dserebren said:
I was at a Nissan dealer in San Francisco Bay Area today and got offered a deal verbally that is a bit hard to believe, given the other deals I see mentioned here.
It's a 24 month lease at $89 / mo. The upfront cost is $ 2500. Reposession fee is $395 I think.

I also just saw the same deal listed at another local dealer: http://www.santacruznissan.com/Special/new/2013-Nissan-LEAF-4dr_HB_S-2047433813-Lease_Special:_$89_mo/_24_mos-Santa_Cruz-CA/18930550" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; but the page. This came up in a Google search for 89/month and it was there 10 minutes ago but now when I checked the site seems down... (Updated: the site came back in the 10 minutes since I posted, so nothing to worry about)

Not sure what to make of this. First, is this real? Does it make sense? Second, is this a good deal?
I do realize that the deal makes me ineligible for CA tax credit, since it's only two year deal.

Appreciate any advice.

That deal is likely for a base model Leaf S with no options whatsoever and unlikely to include tax and license fees. Plan on paying your state and local sales tax on each monthly payment, and on the Capitalized Cost Reduction which includes your down payment, the $7500 Federal tax credit, and any additional incentives thrown in by Nissan and/or the dealer.

The $395 fee is not a "repossession fee" but an "acquisition fee" to start the lease process. At lease end you will pay a "disposition fee" of about the same as well. Mileage limit is almost certainly 12k/year, perhaps even 10k/year.

The only way to truly know if it's real or not is to try to get one at that price. The Santa Cruz offer mentions a specific VIN so your selection may be limited. It may be for an unregistered dealer demo with some miles on it that they want to get rid of.

dserebren said:
Greetings to the Leaf crew around here!

Appreciate any advice.

sounds like modified version of zero down, 199 a month to me except that you are dinged with a $2500 out of pocket drive off to save what? $2 a month?

you have taxes to deal with so it will be more than $89. i would go for the other if you can swing payments in the $250 range but that is me. I would NEVER consider a LEAF that did not have quick charge especially in your area where you have so many

DaveinOlyWA said:
sounds like modified version of zero down, 199 a month to me except that you are dinged with a $2500 out of pocket drive off to save what? $2 a month?

you have taxes to deal with so it will be more than $89. i would go for the other if you can swing payments in the $250 range but that is me. I would NEVER consider a LEAF that did not have quick charge especially in your area where you have so many

Thanks for your replies, everyone. DaveinOlyWA, do you mean that 199/mo usually *does* include taxes and so that's why it's only $2 a month more?

I signed a lease last night for a Leaf S with quick charge package. 36 month, $215/month, $2500 at signing includes 1st payment. Prices are out the door - Includes all taxes and fees. I know it's not the best compared to what I've seen here, but I believe it is fair for my market. Nevada doesn't have any additional tax credits and the market is very small with 5-8 leafs total and usually only 2 or 3 S models.

Very happy with the car so far.

dserebren said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

Thanks for your replies, everyone. DaveinOlyWA, do you mean that 199/mo usually *does* include taxes and so that's why it's only $2 a month more?

no. it would be $199 plus tax.

your deal is $2500 down then 23 payments of $89 or total of $4547. the other is 199 for 23 payments or $4577. so over 2 years you would "save" $30 or a bit over a buck a month but you would lose interest or flexibility on the $2500...

702jesse said:
I signed a lease last night for a Leaf S with quick charge package. 36 month, $215/month, $2500 at signing includes 1st payment. Prices are out the door - Includes all taxes and fees. I know it's not the best compared to what I've seen here, but I believe it is fair for my market. Nevada doesn't have any additional tax credits and the market is very small with 5-8 leafs total and usually only 2 or 3 S models.

That deal looks great, especially w/ quick charger.
are there many QC station in NV?

jjj240 said:
702jesse said:

That deal looks great, especially w/ quick charger.
are there many QC station in NV?

There are zero QC stations in Vegas - not sure about the state. I had two deals lined up and it came down to getting the QC package for about $700 more with the total price difference in the payment. So, I opted for the S model with the QC mostly for the rearview camera since I have young children, the 6.6 (or is it 6.0) kw charger for when I charge at the dealership that is within walking distance of where I work, and lastly for the QC charge port. I may end up with a 220v home station, but we'll see how it goes.

Back