2013/2014 Nissan Leaf Lease Information

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RonDawg said:
The 2014 Leaf will have minimal changes compared to 2013. Back up camera will be standard on all models, possibly due to a new federal requirement. Voice control will supposedly be improved. We may get new colors and different looking wheels. That's it.
But what will happen to pricing? Currently the S and SV without options do NOT include the back up camera. It takes an extra option in each case to add the backup camera. Will Nissan keep the same price points, i.e. 28800 for the S, or will they up the price to include the cost of the backup camera.

Is there any historical precedent as far as lease rates going into a new model year. I'd guess not since 2013 was a very unusual transition with the move to US assembly having a bigger impact and the 2013 being a relatively major redesign.

I'm seeing exceptional variability in lease rates. I'm not believing what I'm being told by the dealers. Looking for a 24mo lease of a 2013 SV + quick charge, 12k mi/yr.

Last 2 hours in May, we obtained our lease for $205 at signing and /mo. Now we're getting dramatically different rates, even at the same dealership. Seems they're no longer motivated to give us a good deal but its making my head spin trying to figure out if they're lying or if lease residuals and money factors are dramatically changing month to month.

Prices we've been given for the above described lease. There are all supposed to be VPP or better, supposedly extra low to replace our existing lease.
- End of may, $205 signing, $205/mo. We signed this lease, then some joker totaled our car :(
- October 21. $280 signing, $258/mo.
- November 9, $330 signing, $330/mo.

These are for the exact same lease. In fact the last two prices were for the same vehicle which is still (unsurprisingly) sitting on their lot.

I was speaking with a manager who stated two clear lies within the first 2 minutes of conversation, said the rates had dramatically changed between October and November. Is that true?

Meanwhile, another dealership who had given us really bad prices back in May is now offering $280/mo. The manager showed me their lease system and showed me they were breaking even or losing money on the deal, just to replace the lease.

Meanwhile, it seems that Nissan should be pushing lease deals again.
- Production has supposedly finally ramped up to 2700/mo instead of the 2000/mo its been all year. Means they'll have more product to move.
- Nissan had announced in the summer that the 2014s will arrive in December. Thats just a few weeks away.
- Current LEAF inventory is at a record high as the higher production is arriving, 2925 now, where its rarely been over 2000 all year.

I keep thinking lease rates will come down as the 2014s start rolling out. Maybe end of year incentives. We got the $205 deal because this particular dealership really needed to make some sales number and was willing to do it at a loss. They not longer have an incentive with us as a customer in need of a car, its not the end of the month etc.

Any information about how the lease game works appreciated. We're seriously looking at non-EVs. I didn't think I'd ever say that again. We're out a car and need to do something. Our current leaning is to rent a car until December when I hope the 2014s will arrive.

Pricing for the 2014 models has not yet been announced. IIRC pricing on the 2013's was not announced until right before they were available for public sale. As they were planning a significant price drop I could see why, because they didn't want existing (and higher priced) 2012 inventory to sit forever on dealer lots while people waited for the cheaper and newer models to arrive.

dm33 said:
- Nissan had announced in the summer that the 2014s will arrive in December.

True, but their web site first said October, before the press release being changed to read December a couple of days later.

Their last update specified "Late December"

http://insideevs.com/plotting-the-changes-2014-nissan-leaf-expected-to-launch-in-canada-in-january/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope this helps.

here is the deal I got in bethesda md

State : MD
Sales tax % : 6
Leaf Trim, options :S but with charge package and the back up camera package
MSRP : n/a
Invoice : (if you know) n/a
Negotiated Price : n/a
Taxes, Title, Registration : 0 (they covered this in my deal
Any other fees (doc, administrative, marketing etc) : 0 they covered this
Money Factor :
Downpayment : 1999
Monthly payment :199

Interested to see if this is a good deal for a 36 month lease. The only additional cost I may pay is a 300 doc fee if I do not lease another nissan from them.

I pm'd you.

dan1leaf said:
here is the deal I got in bethesda md

State : MD
Sales tax % : 6
Leaf Trim, options :S but with charge package and the back up camera package
MSRP : n/a
Invoice : (if you know) n/a
Negotiated Price : n/a
Taxes, Title, Registration : 0 (they covered this in my deal
Any other fees (doc, administrative, marketing etc) : 0 they covered this
Money Factor :
Downpayment : 1999
Monthly payment :199

Interested to see if this is a good deal for a 36 month lease. The only additional cost I may pay is a 300 doc fee if I do not lease another nissan from them.

hi all,

I've just discovered this:

http://www.edmunds.com/nissan/leaf/2013/car-incentives.html?style=200446072" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Leasing $ Offer

Requirements and Restrictions:
Customer Bonus Cash is available towards leasing to customers who finance through Nissan Motor Acceptance Corporation.
Leasing Bonus Cash Start End
$7,675 11/05/2013 12/02/2013

Doesn't this mean that leasing must be much cheaper now??

Gryz said:
hi all,

I've just discovered this:

http://www.edmunds.com/nissan/leaf/2013/car-incentives.html?style=200446072" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Leasing $ Offer

Requirements and Restrictions:
Customer Bonus Cash is available towards leasing to customers who finance through Nissan Motor Acceptance Corporation.
Leasing Bonus Cash Start End
$7,675 11/05/2013 12/02/2013

Doesn't this mean that leasing must be much cheaper now??

Is that with or without the Federal tax credit? If it includes it, that's a paltry amount. Nissan has been recently offering $8150 on the S including the Federal tax credit and about a year or so earlier it was a bit over $10k on the SV.

We're in the DFW area and are getting quoted $277/month for a lease, only first payment due at signing, for an S model with quick charge and backup camera. Thoughts?

I am a firm believer in buying old beat-up cars and driving them into the ground, so I've never considered leasing before. However, I am a near-perfect candidate for a Leaf: I live in the Bay Area (so no heat or cooling issues) and drive exactly 16 miles every day in the hills of the East Bay (where my supposedly-efficient Pontiac Vibe barely gets 20 MPG).

The Boardwalk Nissan (Redwood City, CA) deal for the 2013 Leaf-S is advertised widely, but it is basically $89 a month with $2499 down for 2 years with 12,000 miles a year. Back-of-the-envelope calculations make the gas-and-mileage savings almost fully offset the cost of the Leaf. Yay!

However, when talking with the salesperson there on the phone, he said the true up-front price is over $4600, due to taxes and fees. This included a $600 "acquisition fee" and taxes on the $7500 rebate. I had been calculating the value of the lease presuming the money down would be under $3000 with fees. The fact that the true up-front cost is almost twice the advertised down payment has me balking. It looks like there would be a back-end fee if I don't purchase the vehicle at the end of the lease, which I don't plan to do.

I know many people here got their Leafs from Boardwalk Nissan in Redwood City. Have you been happy with them? (The dealer, not the car...)

Is such a wide discrepancy between the down payment price and the drive-away price at all typical? Is there any room to negotiate, especially with the 2014s coming in December? Or is the base deal offered good enough? (http://www.boardwalknissan.com/specials/new.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

We were able to lease a 2013 sv plus quick charge option in May for $205 at signing and $205/mo.

I thought it was an awesome deal where Nissan was clearly losing money. I felt like we were part of some experiment where Nissan was giving away cars to see how people would use them.

Now that we need to replace that car I feel that were in another experiment to see how high a price can be charged to drive us away from the EV we enjoyed so much.

Every time we ask for a new quote, even to confirm a quote, it goes up.
So far, in the last 2 weeks we've had the following quotes. All supposedly vpp, 2 yr, 12k miles/yr on a 2013 sv plus quick charge.
205 on lease in May from dealer #1.
258 from dealer 1.
315 from dealer #2
280 from dealer #3
330 from dealer #1 who doesn't know what happened to the earlier 258 quote.
359 from dealer #2 who doesn't know what happened to the 315 quote.
411 from dealer #4

This is the most painful car shopping experience we've ever had.
When purchasing, the price doesn't magically double in a few months.
Looks like we're going to have to give up on replacing our leaf with a leaf.

dm33 said:
We were able to lease a 2013 sv plus quick charge option in May for $205 at signing and $205/mo.

I thought it was an awesome deal where Nissan was clearly losing money. I felt like we were part of some experiment where Nissan was giving away cars to see how people would use them.

Now that we need to replace that car I feel that were in another experiment to see how high a price can be charged to drive us away from the EV we enjoyed so much.

So far, in the last 2 weeks we've had the following quotes. All supposedly vpp, 2 yr, 12k miles/yr on a 2013 sv plus quick charge.
258 from dealer 1.
315 from dealer #2
280 from dealer #3
411 from dealer #4

May I ask why you are replacing a 2013 LEAF already? My shopping experience so has been the same. I know the residuals have all gone down so Nissan is pushing the risk to the buyers. They valued these cars around 62% now the same car is at 51% for a 2 year lease. Nissan is pushing the loss in value to consumers.

chuckos said:
dm33 said:

258 from dealer 1.
315 from dealer #2
280 from dealer #3
411 from dealer #4

May I ask why you are replacing a 2013 LEAF already? My shopping experience so has been the same. I know the residuals have all gone down so Nissan is pushing the risk to the buyers. They valued these cars around 62% now the same car is at 51% for a 2 year lease. Nissan is pushing the loss in value to consumers.

I think their prior 2013 was involved in a wreck and turned in. 51% is a horrid residual for 2 years. The only positive sign is there will be some cheap Leafs in a couple of years.

dm33 said:

258 from dealer 1.
315 from dealer #2
280 from dealer #3
411 from dealer #4

what else have you considered besides the leaf? I am looking at the cmax energi for egress issues, because I can go all electric for daily commute, and need the ICE for extended driving on weekends. It allows us to get rid of a vehicle, whereas the leaf would just let me drive a different car during the week at a revenue neutral level (provided leaf lease deals in the $200 range return - where they are now, no way).

chuckos said:
A full size commercial van ran a red light at 50mph, they never saw the red light. We collided. The LEAF was totaled, we all walked away. Great engineering. Could have been much worse if the van had t-boned us. Sadly, my immediate worry was that I wouldn't be able to replace the lease deal.

Any idea what they'll do with the residual for the 2014s? I've read that the best time to lease is at the beginning of a model year because of better residuals. Conversely the worst time to lease is at the end of the model year because you practically have an extra years depreciation built into the residual.

cheapdad00 said:
what else have you considered besides the leaf? I am looking at the cmax energi for egress issues, because I can go all electric for daily commute, and need the ICE for extended driving on weekends. It allows us to get rid of a vehicle, whereas the leaf would just let me drive a different car during the week at a revenue neutral level (provided leaf lease deals in the $200 range return - where they are now, no way).
Frankly we're all over the map. This wasn't my plan. I had carefully crafted a plan to do 2-2yr leases (4yrs) of a LEAF waiting for the Tesla Model E. Before we had the LEAF we had shuttled our kids around in our minivan costing almost $300/mo in gas. I work from home and didn't use my small fuel efficient car much (VW Golf TDI). It was a little too small for everyone to be comfortable. The LEAF was just bigger enough that we were using it for all the shuttling, saving a ton every month in gas and almost never using the minivan.
Now my debate is getting another small but fun car for me to use when I do need to go somewhere, or get a fuel efficient family car to shuttle the kids instead of the minivan.
So we're all over the map. The C-Max is too expensive. I've test driven it, drives good. We often do 30-60 mile days and its electric range is not very useful. I'm looking at Volt's again, its range isn't enough for us either and the dealers around here don't see very eager to deal on them.
My current leading candidate is a Nissan Sentra manual. It feels closest to the LEAF. About the same room inside. The CVT isn't very impressive but the manual seems fine, but that relegates it to their dirt cheapest base trim.
Also looking at a VW Golf. Thats my prior car I just sold. They're bigger now and might be big enough for us.
Subaru Impreza.
Even looking at the Nissan Altima. Very big, but I rented one for a week in the bay area and was impressed with its gas mileage (32mpg in city/hw mix), responsiveness and ride.

tomchaps said:
The Boardwalk Nissan (Redwood City, CA) deal for the 2013 Leaf-S is advertised widely, but it is basically $89 a month with $2499 down for 2 years with 12,000 miles a year. Back-of-the-envelope calculations make the gas-and-mileage savings almost fully offset the cost of the Leaf. Yay!

However, when talking with the salesperson there on the phone, he said the true up-front price is over $4600, due to taxes and fees. This included a $600 "acquisition fee" and taxes on the $7500 rebate. I had been calculating the value of the lease presuming the money down would be under $3000 with fees. The fact that the true up-front cost is almost twice the advertised down payment has me balking. It looks like there would be a back-end fee if I don't purchase the vehicle at the end of the lease, which I don't plan to do.

I am also researching a possible Leaf lease, so let me attempt to answer your questions and someone can correct me if I'm wrong. The difference between the $2,499 offer and the $4,600 quote partly includes things like taxes on money down $2499 x 8.25% = $206, taxes on Nissan rebate $8150 x 8.25% = $672.38 + $595 acquisition fee + about $300 in various title, licensing and processing fees; and it looks like they added another $1,000 or so to reduce the monthly payment from $199 down to $89. Look at it both pre-tax and post-tax, but for example, pre-tax this deal is $2499+23 payments of $89 for a total of $4,546. The "standard" Nissan lease deal is $1,999 +23 payments of $199 which comes to $6,576. So basically you are paying more down (plus all the associated taxes I mentioned) to lower the monthly payment. From my eyes, the deal doesn't look too bad, although some here have probably done better.

Just wanted to add to this thread, which was super useful in helping me get my Leaf.

Just got one last Tuesday, 36 year lease, $0 drive off (literally no payments made that day), $261/month. It's for the S, w/quick charger and rear camera.

pc132 said:
Just wanted to add to this thread, which was super useful in helping me get my Leaf.

Just got one last Tuesday, 36 year lease, $0 drive off (literally no payments made that day), $261/month. It's for the S, w/quick charger and rear camera.

Thats a nice deal, where are you located? and is this a 12k or 15k lease?

Okay, here is my latest.

2013 Silver with black interior SV with LED/QC package.

MSRP 34,650.

After all discounts, I am getting it for $24,925.
36 months
12k miles
$1,600 out the door and $332 per month.

Does this sound like a fair deal, or am I getting avergae?

Back